Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
If Hunt agrees to join the Dragons in 2018, it makes you wonder if his heart will be in it this season with the Broncos.

I really hope this isn't a write off season for us because he decides to leave.

The cap is also apparently rising significantly in 2018.

Players will be earning more money.

If Hunt agrees to join the Dragons in 2018, it makes you wonder if his heart will be in it this season with the Broncos.

I really hope this isn't a write off season for us because he decides to leave.
He's a professional. Of course his heart will be in it. Future rep spots will be on the line and he would want to leave Brisbane on a high note. Just for the record. He ain't going nowhere, dudeness.

1m a season is a crazy good offer. Hunt would be silly to knock it back, he hasn't got that many years left unless we get close-ish.

Hunt is a good player but a million a year for him is just crazy. Only the greatest players in history would be worth that. Hunt is a good first grade halfback not Langer like.

Can understand why the Dragons would be so desperate for anyone who can score points.

1m a season is a crazy good offer. Hunt would be silly to knock it back, he hasn't got that many years left unless we get close-ish.
If that is the actual offer, then yes, he should take the money and run. But that amount might be inflated due to exaggeration.

Even if letting Hunt go is the plan you'd think Ash Taylor would be commanding massive money himself when he is looking to sign his next contract.

But so is Hunt, yet his game doesn't compliment Milford's where Taylor's potentially would.
Spot on. That said if the Broncos don't have a lot of cap space they'll struggle to bring in Taylor.

Just throwing this out there. If we lose Hunt I say we grab Widdop off them, maybe even as an early year exchange. Widdop would compliment Milford and give us a goal kicker.

Widdop is a runner.

That's why Marshall played halfback and not 5/8.

We would be replacing a runner with a runner that has a better kicking game. That's it.

So if we lose Hunt or we just let him go, who do we sign for 2018?

Taylor won't be available and he doesn't strike me as the kind of kid that would break a contract after a club made him their halfback.

No one ever said 1M was the actual figure. That was the reporter just speculating an amount! If you actually watch the report, they were very careful to not quote that amount. Possibly just exagguration.

Which is frustrating because now all the media will run with that figure, broncos will offer a good deal that hunt will probably take (slight unders because really, who would want to go to the dragons + he loves the club) then everyone will call us cap cheaters because no way would we have 1M floating around for hunt when (in their minds) Milford is on 1M a season too

So if we lose Hunt or we just let him go, who do we sign for 2018?

Taylor won't be available and he doesn't strike me as the kind of kid that would break a contract after a club made him their halfback.

According to Zero Tackle, following are off contract 2018:

Halfback

Jack Cogger, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Cullen, Dylan Edwards, Jamal Fogarty, Jackson Hastings, Trent Hodkinson, Luke Keary, Soni Luke, Michael Morgan, Jayden Nikorima, Aidan Sezer, Ashley Taylor, Connor Tracey, Peter Wallace

5/8th

Blake Austin, Josh Cleeland, Kane Elgey, Blake Green, Brock Lamb, Lachlan Lewis, Tuimoala Lolohea, James Maloney, Te Maire Martin, Tyrone May, Jarrod Mullen, Kodi Nikorima, Curtis Sironen, Connor Watson, Tom Wright

Sketchy list for the most part aside from Cronk or Maloney. Some young dynamic players like TMM, etc, but very few fit the classic half back mould.

Kane Elgey might be worth a look as I think he's got a relatively well rounded game and still young.

Apparently Ash Taylor is available 2018, but I'm not so sure as to how accurate the list is.

Thinking outside the box, there's always Peter Wallace....

Which is frustrating because now all the media will run with that figure, broncos will offer a good deal that hunt will probably take (slight unders because really, who would want to go to the dragons + he loves the club) then everyone will call us cap cheaters because no way would we have 1M floating around for hunt when (in their minds) Milford is on 1M a season too

Exactly. Not sure why everyone is freaking out here as though he's put pen to paper.

Another club has made an offer for Hunt. This was to be expected.

I'd be mind blown if Hunt left the broncos for an extra 100k or so a year at a struggling club.

Dragons will end up signing someone like Jack Bird.

Last edited:
According to Zero Tackle, following are off contract 2018:

Halfback

Jack Cogger, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Cullen, Dylan Edwards, Jamal Fogarty, Jackson Hastings, Trent Hodkinson, Luke Keary, Soni Luke, Michael Morgan, Jayden Nikorima, Aidan Sezer, Ashley Taylor, Connor Tracey, Peter Wallace

5/8th

Blake Austin, Josh Cleeland, Kane Elgey, Blake Green, Brock Lamb, Lachlan Lewis, Tuimoala Lolohea, James Maloney, Te Maire Martin, Tyrone May, Jarrod Mullen, Kodi Nikorima, Curtis Sironen, Connor Watson, Tom Wright

Sketchy list for the most part aside from Cronk or Maloney. Some young dynamic players like TMM, etc, but very few fit the classic half back mould.

Kane Elgey might be worth a look as I think he's got a relatively well rounded game and still young.

Apparently Ash Taylor is available 2018, but I'm not so sure as to how accurate the list is.

Thinking outside the box, there's always Peter Wallace....
I think this list refers to players coming off contract at the end of 2018. Pretty sure Ash Taylor is a Titan till 2019.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Old Mate
  • broncsfan88
  • Shane Tronc
  • Big Del
  • Bish
  • broncos4life
  • Gaz
  • sooticus
  • Spike
  • theshed
  • Aldo
  • eggstar10
  • Jazza
  • simplythebest
  • Broncs1459
  • Dash
  • Spoon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.