Six Again Calls

I don’t think it’s a Broncos conspiracy at all. We suck. We should have been penalised every time. My problem has always been the things that aren’t called. The Storm have built their club on what they get away with instead of what they get called for. There’s no way the Roosters didn’t do similar things numerous times that weren’t called. Same with the Eels. Same with every game so far since we’ve returned. The inconsistencies are the problem

I think the biggest problem is that “our” pace is well off the mark. They don’t get back ten and off their line In defence fast enough, don’t play the ball fast enough, don’t hit hard enough. It’s like we train at a certain tired level at training but then they get to the game and it’s above that level and they can’t handle it!
Thursday night we were consistently required to get back 13 metres whilst the Roosters were 8 to 10. I froze the screen in one instance where the ptb was directly on top of a midfield line, our entire defence had only just reached tbe 13 metre line required by the ref by which time the ptb was completed! Our guys are trying valiantly to be clean in the ruck erroneoulsy thinking the team would be rewarded. Sadly that doesn't happen.

Another thing, we need to slow the fucking ptb down on the fifth. Every single time the defence is already sprinting up by the time the ball touches the ground. We need the defence standing still and we play into their hands by attempting to get a fast ptb. There's absolutely no benefit by doing so as the defence is already back their 8 metres and with forward momentum. Pay attention next time to it and tell me, what benefit do we gain in the fast ptb if the defence is no longer retreating and are in fact coming forward???

Last edited:
I think because our defensive line speed is so passive, when we complete tackles, our defenders are rarely in a dominant position. Because the opposition has popped their head through the line or landed on their front, it is very obvious if we try and hold someone down in any capacity.

Whilst melbourne still slow the tackle and ruck speed by catching the player with two defenders and the third in low about a second or two later. Lowering them down on their back.

I was never a fan of the 6 again rule as we have always be susceptible to teams making big metres up the middle. This just amplifies it.

I think the biggest problem is that “our” pace is well off the mark. They don’t get back ten and off their line In defence fast enough, don’t play the ball fast enough, don’t hit hard enough. It’s like we train at a certain tired level at training but then they get to the game and it’s above that level and they can’t handle it!
I think it is something like this also. Our intensity is off the mark. But I also feel we seem to get hammered early from the refs so far and that it for us. But we need to be able to take that on the chin.

The Broncos have always taken at as a given that they will have to play above tge refs. To win despite them.

Yep, we are getting killed in the ruck, losing out at first contact, cant slow down or win the tackle, cant get back the ten and if we can we are then sitting back and waiting for the opposition.

We are getting steamrolled with post contact metres and quick play the balls, always on the back foot and then infringing and coping 6 agains or penalties.

Then when its our turn with the ball we either drop it, getting man handled with one out flat footed runs, aren't smart enough to use the ball where we need to or are bringing it out from our end.....................oh and my favorite..........kicking it on the 4th tackle so the opposition get it back on their 30m. *sigh*

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the rule because it gives a massive advantage to the attacking side, especially in the opposition half where its way more valuable than a regular penalty.

For the Broncos, I'd be blaming the absolutely disgraceful defence before the refs. It's been awful for a long time.

Last edited:
I also don't like the lack of accountability, the refs can just randomly call a 6 again and the play just moves on so quickly they are never analysed or questioned.

Half the time you don't even know what the 6 again was for.

I'm not a fan of the rule because it gives a massive advantage to the attacking side, especially in the opposition half where its way more valuable than a regular penalty.

For the Broncos, I'd be blaming the absolutely disgraceful defence before the refs. It's been awful for a long time.
This. It’s not just the Broncos. We haven’t had an enjoyable game since the rule change. Fans might have got excited because their team is winning but the quality has dropped dramatically.

The six-again rule is a blight on our game - already!

It is completely unaccountable. Currently, the TV commentators don't replay the decisions. The six-again count doesn't show in game statistics. And yet, this rule can change the entire flow of a game - as it has in the Broncos first two games.

Sorry - but this is a recipe for match rigging. Full stop.

The wrestle may have been squashed, but the latest skill is attacking players holding down defenders to earn another six-again - something much easier to achieve with one referee!

I have no doubt that the string of three or four six against the Eels in the first 10-15 minutes sealed our defeat. There was no recovering from that.

Some of these six-again decisions I am still wondering what they were for!

If we'd been on the right side of those calls and won, we wouldn't give a shit. Just cause our team sucks doesn't mean it's a bad rule. The game is faster, the ruck is cleaner. It's two massive issues gone at the click of the fingers. Keep it there, work out the issues, address them next year.

The problem with the rule is that it puts too much power in the Ref's hand. 6 again calls come-and-go so quick, that there is no discussion how warranted they are.

It's being inconsistantly enforced.

Refs can put their foot on the scale of a match outcome like never before.

Last edited:
The third option. They are younger than everybody else and combinations are next to impossible due to injuries and suspension exasperating the youth issue.
I'm going with them not being trained sufficiently. It's a game fundamental now.

Maybe it's not Seibold who's failing to train them. Maybe it's one of the assistants. But it's still Seibold who has to carry the can for it.

I've been calling for the rule change for years and I appreciate the faster flow. I was worried the game was becoming more and more like Union with far too many stoppages and it didn't make for an enjoyable viewing experience.

It's only early days, but so far a lot of games have become so one sided it doesn't make for an enjoyable spectacle. There were so many games last week where I could have switched off after 50 minutes and hardly missed anything. I don't necessarily think the rules are the direct cause, but they've excacerbated the problem, alongside the one referee and their inability to adjudicate offsides and play the balls.

I presume it's going to get better over time as players become more match fit. By Round 6-8 I suspect there will be far more closer contests with even share of possession. However, I'd hate to see how one sided games are going to get once injuries stack up against certain teams and they're out of contention. I don't think the Broncos are going to be an anamoly, I can see some really embarrassing efforts coming up and I can't imagine fans really engaging with the product.

When you consider all these other rule changes, it doesn't make for a good viewing experience. Both the seven tackle set and the kick chasers being protected in the air need to go. Now the kick chasers have free reign and in a lot of cases, they aren't making genuine attempts to compete for the ball, they're just running into cannonball the defender out of the way knowing the defender can't set themselves for a tackle like they used to be able to.

The rule change could be fine, but it creates a game that is too fast for a referee to actually keep up with. They're forgetting about getting the defense onside so they can watch the ruck. Touchies have been pitiful for a decade now, they don't do their job well at all and they've forgotten to get players onside too. Maybe the rules work with two refs, but they are not being utilized fairly with a singular ref.

When you consider all these other rule changes, it doesn't make for a good viewing experience. Both the seven tackle set and the kick chasers being protected in the air need to go. Now the kick chasers have free reign and in a lot of cases, they aren't making genuine attempts to compete for the ball, they're just running into cannonball the defender out of the way knowing the defender can't set themselves for a tackle like they used to be able to.
The 7 tackle set needs to be toned down with the speed of play and I for one think you shouldn't get 7 tackles for errors in goal.

I'm ok with it staying for kicking errors (kick dead or over touch, and caught in goal on the full), but there is no way a team should be rewarded for the other team bombing a try.

The defence is poor enough that they have allowed the attacking team get over the line or get their hands to the ball only for them to make an error during the put down. Getting the ball back is reward enough

The 7 tackle set needs to be toned down with the speed of play and I for one think you shouldn't get 7 tackles for errors in goal.

I'm ok with it staying for kicking errors (kick dead or over touch, and caught in goal on the full), but there is no way a team should be rewarded for the other team bombing a try.

The defence is poor enough that they have allowed the attacking team get over the line or get their hands to the ball only for them to make an error during the put down. Getting the ball back is reward enough
The 7 tackle set should only ever have been brought in if the defending team do something to earn it such as catching the ball on the full. It killed one of the most entertaining things in the game (wingers competing for bombs). They’re trying to rectify it with the new tackle in mid air rule but it’s not being utilised by teams because there’s too much risk to try it

What the hell is the go with the touchies? Blows my mind. They could easily police the defensive line. Instead they compete with council workers for least productivity and no accountability.

They didn’t have to police it when there was a 2nd ref and their only other job was made redundant by the video ref.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mustafur
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.