Six Again Calls

Thursday night we were consistently required to get back 13 metres whilst the Roosters were 8 to 10. I froze the screen in one instance where the ptb was directly on top of a midfield line, our entire defence had only just reached tbe 13 metre line required by the ref by which time the ptb was completed! Our guys are trying valiantly to be clean in the ruck erroneoulsy thinking the team would be rewarded. Sadly that doesn't happen.

Another thing, we need to slow the fucking ptb down on the fifth. Every single time the defence is already sprinting up by the time the ball touches the ground. We need the defence standing still and we play into their hands by attempting to get a fast ptb. There's absolutely no benefit by doing so as the defence is already back their 8 metres and with forward momentum. Pay attention next time to it and tell me, what benefit do we gain in the fast ptb if the defence is no longer retreating and are in fact coming forward???
Its systematic then isn’t it. so riddle me this, why is it with all the video footage available we don’t take it to the nrl discretely with a please explain? I’m so fed up with this and considering we’ve been the nrl’s main money maker you’d think they’d at least try and have an even playing field. When will nswrl get exposed?

Last edited:
The rule change could be fine, but it creates a game that is too fast for a referee to actually keep up with. They're forgetting about getting the defense onside so they can watch the ruck. Touchies have been pitiful for a decade now, they don't do their job well at all and they've forgotten to get players onside too. Maybe the rules work with two refs, but they are not being utilized fairly with a singular ref.
and this is one of the issues. The NRL came out and said a greater influence would be provided to the touch judges to watch the offsides and the ruck when it got to the blindside, but this doesn't seem to be happening.

I have no idea why the NRL is not able to have the officiating group work as a team.

In the NFL they have like 8 referees on the field, but all of them are responsible for certain aspects of the play or parts of the field. This is the approach that should be happening with the NRL.

The second ref should have always been ruling on the ruck (not telling the main ref there is a penalty and hoping they call it)... this now goes to the single ref solely and they are already missing knock ons, hands in the ruck, etc.

The near side touchie should be in control of the blind side and watching for forward passes from DH... the main ref and the second ref are on the open side so there is no way they can see hands in the ball if it's happening on the blind side

The open side touchie should be controlling the offsides.

Main ref is then controlling everything else.

At the moment and in past years it seems like it is the main ref doing everything, which is a shit approach and rightly has everyone asking what the **** a touchie does

Even if they don't want to be calling every penalty (to keep the "flow") the touchies controlling the offside can be telling the ref that a team is always offside... you don't need to penalise every one, but if they're offside 4/6 tackles then they should be penalised and if it is happening continually call the captain over and tell them they're going to the bin if it keeps happening.

The refs are fucking pussies and don't want to get called out by rumbo buzz ... so they've put the whistle away and let games turn into slog fests, and every now and then they'll blow a penalty or call a six again just so everyone knows they're still there.

The 7 tackle set needs to be toned down with the speed of play and I for one think you shouldn't get 7 tackles for errors in goal.

I'm ok with it staying for kicking errors (kick dead or over touch, and caught in goal on the full), but there is no way a team should be rewarded for the other team bombing a try.

The defence is poor enough that they have allowed the attacking team get over the line or get their hands to the ball only for them to make an error during the put down. Getting the ball back is reward enough
Absolutely agree with the middle paragraph

I think it's a great rule and we're just struggling to adapt. We best learn fast. I agree with those who've said we've never been dominant in the tackle and as a result, we're constantly on the backfoot. Everything flows on from there.

I’m not sure how it compared to things before the rule change, but in 11 completed games since the rule change, only one team has come from behind to win (Tigers last week) and only 1 game has been decided by 8 points or less (Knights v Panthers).

Still Half a round to go now, but if that pattern continues then surely that tells you something dramatic and probably unintended has shifted.

I’m not sure how it compared to things before the rule change, but in 11 completed games since the rule change, only one team has come from behind to win (Tigers last week) and only 1 game has been decided by 8 points or less (Knights v Panthers).

Still Half a round to go now, but if that pattern continues then surely that tells you something dramatic and probably unintended has shifted.
Yeah people will switch off....whoopsies

I crunched some numbers in Windows Calculator and found the average difference between teams on the scoreboard has been 26 points since the competition has resumed, compared to an average difference of 11 points for the first two rounds.

I'll admit to not reading all comments, so may have been already mentioned, but do think you guys have been shafted in the 2 games so far. I also thought there has been a reluctance to give "6 again" in both storm games, regardless of the perpetrators

I’m curious (but too lazy to check) if possession has been mote lopsided across the entire league since this rule was introduced or if there hasn’t been much changed and we just suck particularly bad.

Its systematic then isn’t it. so riddle me this, why is it with all the video footage available we don’t take it to the nrl discretely with a please explain? I’m so fed up with this and considering we’ve been the nrl’s main money maker you’d think they’d at least try and have an even playing field. When will nswrl get exposed?
The problem is that the reason why we are the main money maker is that very few footy fans are ambivalent about us. We have a large fan base that loves us but also a much larger group of footy fans who absolutely hate us. From the league’s point of view it makes sense to pander to the wider footy community by treating us like shit. We are the ‘bad guys’ and that’s marketing gold whether it’s fair or deserved or not.

In concept, I don’t hate it, but it’s killing teams inside the first 30 mins of every game if they’re not getting at least 40-45% possession.

It’s not being policed equally due to one ref, and it’s being applied inconsistently as to the infringement.

They needed to find a middle ground between what we had and these huge weights of uninterrupted possession.

It feels like a hybrid of union and touch football with the amount of phase-play that goes on.

Ball security remains king, but teams can be run ragged 20 minutes into a game.

This should not have been implemented part way through a season, no matter the situation.

Last edited:
In concept, I don’t hate it, but it’s killing teams inside the first 30 mins of every game if they’re not getting at least 40-45% possession.

It’s not being policed equally due to one ref, and it’s being applied consistently as to the infringement.

They needed to find a middle ground between what we had and these huge weights of uninterrupted possession.

It feels like a hybrid of union with the amount of phase-play that goes on.

Ball security remains king, but teams can be run ragged 20 minutes into a game.

This should not have been implemented part way through a season, no matter the situation.
The refs had all the tools available to them previously to control the ruck, and they either didn’t use them or when they did they buckled to media pressure.

It’s a pretty huge change, you’d think it would be trialed in lower grades first.

The refs had all the tools available to them previously to control the ruck, and they either didn’t use them or when they did they buckled to media pressure.

It’s a pretty huge change, you’d think it would be trialed in lower grades first.

It got tried once in the All-Stars from memory.

Plenty of evidence it works to put into the professional competition that the entire game depends on 🙃

The players have been getting really tired after 10 minutes, the ref probably has been too that's why the whistle gets put away. Because he can't be fucked.

What really cracked me up was the Storm were the same old Storm last night and were probably pinged less than us. Go back to the old rule.

The rule should only be in place for teams who give away intentional penalties. Get rid of it outside of the opposition 20m.

Ooh yes that would be the best version of this rule

A couple of things:
Firstly, seibolds big idea at revolutionising the broncos defence was teaching them to give away intentional penalties to set their line. As far as I can see that was his only change when he came in, so that’s a massive back fire here with this rule change.
Secondly, the current touchies are the old 2nd middle ref so they’re plenty experienced, it’s just that all if these refs have had about the same amount of time as the players to get used to these new rule changes and controlling a game on their own. It’s a massive ask for them to be perfect out of the block, I think they’re just writing off 2020 season as an experiment year.
Which is rubbish imo. BUT I do like the idea of getting rid of the wrestle and the false “even” competition that everyone said was proof we were elite. Be interesting to see if we can get it right for 2021.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • The True King
  • MrMoore
  • Morepudding
  • Johnny92
  • Bish
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • BroncsNBundy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Redux
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.