Six Again Calls

"We just suck at the ruck"... I challenge anyone, ANYONE, to find a game where there wasn't more then 20+ tackles slower then the 6 again tackles we got "penalised" for.
I'm sick of people saying there isn't some type of bias against Broncos in the NRL. It's blatantly obvious. Look at our record at the judiciary and then look at who's on the panel. Yes we sucked and we have a young team that gets their head down easily and gives up, and yes seibold made some massive errors tactically and is struggling with the rule change but ffs we are up against it. We could have bellamy as our coach and sign c Smith and we wouldn't win a premiership. If Brisbane lose, there's still massive ratings in qld with 30,000+ at games. If Sydney teams (and melbourne) keep on losing they will struggle to survive. The NRL aren't causing us to lose but who seriously thinks that we are on an equal footing with souffs, roosters or even storm.

I am pissed off with Paul white for the above actually. I like what he has done financially and commercially for the club, and despite the shit results I still back him that Bennett had to go (souffs are starting to show why and I didn't want more of the same mid table results so it was worth the gamble 100000%) but ffs it's like we are afraid to demand answers at the Broncos because of super league. **** THEM, the Sydney clubs would fold without the money the Broncos provide the NRL "but they have Brisbane to themselves", the crushers sat hello and Sydney teams will lose more Brisbane fans then the Broncos will.

Sorry for the rant guys. Yes we played very very shithouse but to be able to watch 5 minutes and know which way the result was go ikng to go based completely off ref decisions is fucking disheartening. We should have fought against it but it doesn't make them right as well

I said all of this from the first 20 minutes of the Parra game. I said it on Reddit and obviously got told that I'm just butt-hurt. The consistency is not there. I don't think it is a conspiracy but to yield 3 6-again penalties early is a death sentence. It's like starting a marathon with hill sprints. There was no way Parramatta only had 1 ruck infringement in that game. There was no way they could only yield 1 penalty.

As an aside, 7 tackle sets for a slightly too long grubber to the in-goal is not why that rule was put in place and shifts the momentum away from the attacking side. It is too high a punishment. 6 again from the 20m is fine. The rule was made to stop Soward flogging the ball dead from 50-60m out so that they could get a set defensive line in the opposition half.

NRL make dumb rules and don't think them through fully. The new 6 again rule brings us closer to Rugby and makes 0 sense when the defence must retreat 10 m with 0 rest. In Rugby it's only last man's feet. Totally easier to defend the phase and prevent the roll on. The 6 again advantage is far too great.

Edit: also agree that it gives the ref far too much influence on the game.

Last edited:
What was the justification for going back to one ref with this new rule?

Crazy amount of offside happening as a result.

1 ref due to Coronavirus causing financial stress on NRL

I said all of this from the first 20 minutes of the Parra game. I said it on Reddit and obviously got told that I'm just butt-hurt. The consistency is not there. I don't think it is a conspiracy but to yield 3 6-again penalties early is a death sentence. It's like starting a marathon with hill sprints. There was no way Parramatta only had 1 ruck infringement in that game. There was no way they could only yield 1 penalty.

As an aside, 7 tackle sets for a slightly too long grubber to the in-goal is not why that rule was put in place and shifts the momentum away from the attacking side. It is too high a punishment. 6 again from the 20m is fine. The rule was made to stop Soward flogging the ball dead from 50-60m out so that they could get a set defensive line in the opposition half.

NRL make dumb rules and don't think them through fully. The new 6 again rule brings us closer to Rugby and makes 0 sense when the defence must retreat 10 m with 0 rest. In Rugby it's only last man's feet. Totally easier to defend the phase and prevent the roll on. The 6 again advantage is far too great.

Edit: also agree that it gives the ref far too much influence on the game.

I agree so much with your "Edit". And they love it the mongrels. What pisses me off about this rule is applying it when there is absolutely no impact on the ensuing play. It's like the Ref saying I am god out here and you bastards, the game, and all the fans, can go to hell.

Last edited:
I also don't like the lack of accountability, the refs can just randomly call a 6 again and the play just moves on so quickly they are never analysed or questioned.

Half the time you don't even know what the 6 again was for.
But is that any different than when they were blowing penalties? You could easily have two identical tackles with the same amount of time spent holding down, one was a penalty, other one wasn't. Markers not square? One was blown, next one let go. Hands on the ball? This one's a penalty, the next one isn't. For me all they've done is replace one unaccountable outcome with a different one. The more things change the more they stay the same.

But is that any different than when they were blowing penalties? You could easily have two identical tackles with the same amount of time spent holding down, one was a penalty, other one wasn't. Markers not square? One was blown, next one let go. Hands on the ball? This one's a penalty, the next one isn't. For me all they've done is replace one unaccountable outcome with a different one. The more things change the more they stay the same.
No, but now the game races on and the stats aren't counted

And that is another point to the dodgy equal penalty count at the end of games before

(Which backs up the conspiracy claim although I don't think it was, just nrl stupidity)

Last edited:
We were wrestling alot in the first two games and it seemed like it was a huge focus during the off season. Imo that's why we won those games. I recommend rewatching those games and paying attention to how long we were holding the opposition down during tackles. We were pushing the limit and getting away with it.

I find it hard to blame Seibold or the team when a rule change comes in negates our hard work during the off season.

It's gonna be interesting to see if the team can adapt.

We were wrestling alot in the first two games and it seemed like it was a huge focus during the off season. Imo that's why we won those games. I recommend rewatching those games and paying attention to how long we were holding the opposition down during tackles. We were pushing the limit and getting away with it.

I find it hard to blame Seibold or the team when a rule change comes in negates our hard work during the off season.

It's gonna be interesting to see if the team can adapt.

It would actually be pretty funny how after over 10 years the Broncos finally decide to take wrestling seriously, and then the NRL cancel it for real after 2 games.

1 ref due to Coronavirus causing financial stress on NRL

funnily enough, they made an agreement with the refs that every ref would be retained, thus saving the NRL a grand total of ZERO

It would actually be pretty funny how after over 10 years the Broncos finally decide to take wrestling seriously, and then the NRL cancel it for real after 2 games.
It sounds funny but I don't think it's far from the truth. Maybe it's just me but I saw a huge change in tackling and wrestling style in rd1, rd2 2020 compared to the entirety of 2019.

Fun fact: Since the comp restarted under the new rule changes the first try scoring team has now won 12 out of 13 games.

Only 2 out of 13 games have been decided by 8 points or less.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised by those stats. Is there a correlation between the first 1 or 2 6-again calls and the first try and therefore win?

Fun fact: Since the comp restarted under the new rule changes the first try scoring team has now won 12 out of 13 games.

Only 2 out of 13 games have been decided by 8 points or less.
Is it just me or are the travelling teams also winning a lot of games?

The rule should only be in place for teams who give away intentional penalties. Get rid of it outside of the opposition 20m.

This is what I thought the rule was so you can imagine my surprise watching the Eels marching up the field on their first set against us with six again, six again.

It is too high a punishment. 6 again from the 20m is fine. The rule was made to stop Soward flogging the ball dead from 50-60m out so that they could get a set defensive line in the opposition half.

Exactly. Now even knocking the ball on over the tryline is 7 tackles which makes zero sense to me. These days it seems like you either pull off a perfectly executed try or you're punished for having a go and then the opposition races up the other end and has to pull off the same perfect try scoring move. In a recent match, I think it was Storm vs Souths it just went 7 tackle set, 7 tackle set, 7 tackle set all bloody night. Teams are running it on the last more than ever because the risk of getting a kick wrong isn't worth it but heaven forbid you knock on when trying to score.

Truth be told the refs can now have a major, major impact on the outcome of the game in the first five minutes. That's what I've observed the last 2 rounds so far.

Last edited:
This is what I thought the rule was so you can imagine my surprise watching the Eels marching up the field on their first set against us with six again, six again.

Exactly. Now even knocking the ball on over the tryline is 7 tackles which makes zero sense to me. These days it seems like you either pull off a perfectly executed try or you're punished for having a go and then the opposition races up the other end and has to pull off the same perfect try scoring move. In a recent match, I think it was Storm vs Souths it just went 7 tackle set, 7 tackle set, 7 tackle set all bloody night. Teams are running it on the last more than ever because the risk of getting a kick wrong isn't worth it but heaven forbid you knock on when trying to score.
I love the footy but some parts of the game could be much better and implemented better. As it stands I'm getting more and more annoyed at the changes simply due to lack of foresight, clarification and the stubborn reluctance to take criticism. I think the media being hyper-critical is a major problem there.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Hurrijo
  • bb_gun
  • Aldo
  • MrMoore
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Battler
  • broncotville
  • mitch222
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • TimWhatley
  • Manlyman
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.