Six Again Calls

This new rules seems ideal for the type of play the Walker brothers were trying to establish. Time in possession.

Isaako should find a player who can actually catch and start practicing their short kick offs and short drop outs together nonstop. The boys in the middle need to learn Canberra’s stripping technique. Winning back possession via unconventional means is king this season.

Which means that if we want to see those unconventional means, we will need to watch another team.

I have a very easy fix to this problem.

It has become clear that the ref now has in his hands the power to directly decide the outcome in an otherwise even contest. Or even turn it around when one side is being dominated and is 18-0 down. Before, when penalties were blown, there was a pause, time for replays, time for really bad calls to get scrutinized. Now it just happens so quickly that they can give a phantom penalty without even time for a captain's challenge.

Solution: it's not six again, it's a free tackle. For minor infringements. ONE free tackle. If it's third tackle, infringement happens, wave the arm, "FREE TACKLE, STILL THE THIRD". Problem solved.

But maybe they want refs to decide outcomes along lines of profitability and marketability. Not to mention good old gambling interests (legal or otherwise) having a say.

Last edited:
I have a very easy fix to this problem.

It has become clear that the ref now has in his hands the power to directly decide the outcome in an otherwise even contest. Or even turn it around when one side is being dominated and is 18-0 down. Before, when penalties were blown, there was a pause, time for replays, time for really bad calls to get scrutinized. Now it just happens so quickly that they can give a phantom penalty without even time for a captain's challenge.

Solution: it's not six again, it's a free tackle. For minor infringements. ONE free tackle. If it's third tackle, infringement happens, wave the arm, "FREE TACKLE, STILL THE THIRD". Problem solved.

But maybe they want refs to decide outcomes along lines of profitability and marketability. Not to mention good old gambling interests (legal or otherwise) having a say.

For this to happen, the refs would need to be competent.

I really like the FREE TACKLE idea. That seems much fairer and allows for multiple free tackles to be linked without ending up with 18 free tackles. After calling free tackle 6 times the ref would be forced to penalise and/or send someone off. This is a great improvement. It keeps it more Rugby League-ish (rather than Union) and rewards the roll-on.

I mean, if the general public can brainstorm an idea like this why the heck can't the NRL figure this out? The NRL is such a laughable organisation. I honestly don't know how it manages to survive. To me it just shows that the product (Rugby League) is quality but the organisation is just terribly mismanaged. How many things do they have to "tweak" or "improve" before they have completed their Frankenstein's Monster?

Next game that gets played, watch the "10 metre" line. You can't tell me that they weren't already influencing games. There will be times that the attacking team is making bulk metres, and rolling through a back-pedalling defence, but when you look closely the ref has the defending team 12-14 metres back and they simply can't get back in time to the come up aggressively. 10 metres is fucking simple, it really is, there are lines and everything. And everyone seems to have forgotten that they were going to even mark it visually in-game a few seasons ago, yet quietly just... didn't. No one in the media questioned it.

Next game that gets played, watch the "10 metre" line. You can't tell me that they weren't already influencing games. There will be times that the attacking team is making bulk metres, and rolling through a back-pedalling defence, but when you look closely the ref has the defending team 12-14 metres back and they simply can't get back in time to the come up aggressively. 10 metres is fucking simple, it really is, there are lines and everything. And everyone seems to have forgotten that they were going to even mark it visually in-game a few seasons ago, yet quietly just... didn't. No one in the media questioned it.
Yeah I'm noticing that as well... can recall broncos having to go 13m back when we were looking to keep a team hemmed into their half.... can add it to the list. I currently have the following:
- phantom 6 agains
- make up penalties
- evening up the penalty count (to disguise a heavy penalty count early in the game... "How's Trent??")
- penalising blatant milking (Finucane last night, DCE in our game... Gallen's entire career)
- calling errors instead of penalties... is one that has been around for awhile, but effectively a blatant strip, hands on the ball, etc. gets called an error instead of a penalty. The error gets lost in the stats unlike penalties.
- kicks being called as played at (not recorded anywhere but gives another set of 6)
- contests for the ball favouring whichever side needs the momentum swing (if it's not going to the vid ref it can't be overturned)
- ignoring blatant errors (forward passes, knock ons being called backwards, etc.)
- ignoring blatant penalties (offsides, hands on the ball, etc.)
- sending up 50/50 tries as a try or no try (pending situation)... classic example being grounding in a pile up. No one can see the ball and therefore difficult for the vid ref to overturn
- video ref just ignoring footage to stick with the onfield ref... or just ignoring things in general
- favouring any 50/50 towards the team needing to catch up ("closest comp ever!!")

Last edited:
I’ve noticed a trend this round that teams are deliberately giving a 6 again on the first tackle to slow them down to stop the roll on. Without having to make 12-18 tackles in a row
Boom, just like that it’s been found out! The only way is to penalise teams consistently and ruthlessly until they stop. They tried it a couple years back, the media and the fans with the least amount IQ winged so the nrl gave up.

Very good point mate.

It would be interesting to know if there is a review process of a new rule.

Is there an NRL staffer who rewatches games to make sure calls were consistent with a new rule?
Serious question here. I’m not suggesting there is a conspiracy against us or anything like that necessarily, but I’m struggling to wrap my head around our results under the new six again rule.

The whole point of the rule change was to speed the game up and punish sides who wrestle and lay in the play the ball - ok, that’s fine, I can appreciate that. We’ve suffered from our inability in these areas for years now.

So if that’s the case, how is it that seemingly overnight we’ve gone from a team who were for years apparently hopeless at the wrestle and were seemingly unable to slow down opposition play the balls, constantly letting opposition teams get on a roll around the ruck, to all of a sudden the apparent worst offenders in the competition at laying in the ruck and obstructing play the balls.

How can it be that a side that other teams relished coming up against because of our inability to slow down their ruck speed all of a sudden be receiving set after set of 6 again calls against them?

Have I missed something here? Surely I’m not the only one who thinks this is a bizarre turnaround to say the least?

Or they coach them to break the rules at times that benefit the team.
I've seen folk on here blaming the NRL for making rules that are too hard for our team, and blaming the refs for being biased against our team. Neither is productive criticism.

In my opinion, it's the coach's job to coach the team not to break the rules, whatever you think of them. That's how winners do it.

I wouldn't say our players are dumb, however they definitely lack some footy smarts. They are playing on skill alone nearly.

Give them time and they will learn the more intricate details of the game.

Parker once spoke about knowing when to use energy and when not to.

We have players going 100% at times it isn't needed.
Of course it's the coach's fault. This is what you drill day in, day out. The other theory is that our players are dumber than everyone else's and you can't teach them the basics. Which makes more sense?

Anyone notice the stats on penalties + 6 against these last 3 rounds on NRL Reddit.

Penalties for to against we are -21

The next closes is -11... Every other team is in single digits and half are in the positive....

We are nearly twice as penalised as ANY other team.. nothing suss? Haha seriously, nothing?

Anyone notice the stats on penalties + 6 against these last 3 rounds on NRL Reddit.

Penalties for to against we are -21

The next closes is -11... Every other team is in single digits and half are in the positive....

We are nearly twice as penalised as ANY other team.. nothing suss? Haha seriously, nothing?

I can't honestly say I feel like we are getting a raw deal from the refs this season. We are playing like a bunch of busted assholes, and are lazy for 90% of the game. It's going to happen.

Posted this over @ the shithole last weekend:

Intentionally hold down on the 1st or 2nd tackle (while you're in the middle of the field) to give away the 6 again as early in the set as possible. The ref won't have the guts to give away any more than 2 or 3 in the one possession. By doing that, it negates so many extra tackles, not to mention the psychological effect giving away another 6 on the last tackle has on the players.

Then the email from Annesley goes out on the Monday (?), I know it was early in the working week.

I don’t care anymore if they keep this stupid rule in but I feel like people need to ask the question/complain enough that they show how many six agains were called during the game. It’s bullshit looking at a 2/3 penalty count a game when you know there’s been 10/15+ six again calls.

It would be a different game, these corrupt ***** would be levelling out the amount of six agains so they didn’t look one sided at the end of a game and they’d only blow them on the first tackle anyway.

I don’t care anymore if they keep this stupid rule in but I feel like people need to ask the question/complain enough that they show how many six agains were called during the game. It’s bullshit looking at a 2/3 penalty count a game when you know there’s been 10/15+ six again calls.

It would be a different game, these corrupt ***** would be levelling out the amount of six agains so they didn’t look one sided at the end of a game and they’d only blow them on the first tackle anyway.
They have the set restarts in the stats on fox sports, but I haven't seen them being shown on the telecast yet.

I would like to see six agains and tackles gained (basically count the tackles that were already completed so if you get them on first tackle it's only 1, compared to 4th or 5th tackle).

I'd also like to see meters gained from penalties... so we can see teams like cowboys where all their penalties seem to occur in their own half as get out penalties... compared to penalties in the opposition half that are tap restarts only.

I can barely recall the knights having to come out of their own end all night... offside, offside, penalty for Oates ineptness, six agains on 3rd or 4th tackle, offside.

Seriously pissed off with offsides, the telecast should be showing why penalties are given so we can see how offside we always seem to be (apparently our line speed is so messed up that we are offside in the 2nd set of the match)... the telecast should be showing the defensive line so we can see all the offsides not being called (Storm were offside all night when defending their own line last night), but I guess if they did that it would show how corrupt the sport is towards certain teams

Last edited:
OK dumb question of the day ... is there a defined time limit in the rules before a defending player must allow an attacking player to get to his feet and play the ball. ?

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • peter09
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • theshed
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Financeguy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • Santa
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.