Six Again Calls

OK dumb question of the day ... is there a defined time limit in the rules before a defending player must allow an attacking player to get to his feet and play the ball. ?
From my memory it has always been that a player must be allowed to play the ball 3 seconds after completion of the tackle. But I was just told that as a child and I have never looked into it.

Edit: so there is no given time limit in the laws of the game. The player "shall be immediately released". But this is totally crap because the rules go on to say things like "leaving or placing hands on the ball or arms", "climbing over", "crowding" etc. Are also punishable offenses and we know that that is all pick and choose. So basically it is ref's discretion

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if this deserves a thread of it's own but...

10 minutes into the season after the rule was introduced I knew I hated it with a passion. My distaste is not because I cannot appreciate the upside of the rule but it IS all about the power to manipulate a game without oversight or accountability.

I had no issue with the rules that preceded it's introduction and thought that a referee could penalise a team unfairly BUT the stats would show how each referee treated a team over the distance. In other words there'd be evidence, something we could look at and question. One game in particular years ago enraged me, a game where we didn't receive a single penalty for a whole match. The opposition that day were apparently perfect which we all know is just not possible. They received 10 penalties I believe and we lost the game in the last few minutes courtesy of the 10th penalty.

My point is we could all see how biased and ridiculous such refereeing is, the evidence was there for all to see. The refs had enough power previously to rort games so why did we hand them even more power to orchestrate a result??? Suddenly they are not even accountable because penalties are down and the disparity not so great, unless of course it's the Broncos. Incidentally there was not one word spoken in the media about that game I mentioned earlier despite it being a historic statistical moment. I don't believe it has ever happened before or since. Sure, maybe there was a game where the count might have been one or two nil but FUCKING 10 NIL!!!! I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT IT HA HA.

Anyway, opinions on the new rule and why you hate it!!

Sorry guys, I did look to see if there was a thread in the general rugby league section and went through a few pages and didn't see one. My bad.

I wasn't sure if this deserves a thread of it's own but...

10 minutes into the season after the rule was introduced I knew I hated it with a passion. My distaste is not because I cannot appreciate the upside of the rule but it IS all about the power to manipulate a game without oversight or accountability.

I had no issue with the rules that preceded it's introduction and thought that a referee could penalise a team unfairly BUT the stats would show how each referee treated a team over the distance. In other words there'd be evidence, something we could look at and question. One game in particular years ago enraged me, a game where we didn't receive a single penalty for a whole match. The opposition that day were apparently perfect which we all know is just not possible. They received 10 penalties I believe and we lost the game in the last few minutes courtesy of the 10th penalty.

My point is we could all see how biased and ridiculous such refereeing is, the evidence was there for all to see. The refs had enough power previously to rort games so why did we hand them even more power to orchestrate a result??? Suddenly they are not even accountable because penalties are down and the disparity not so great, unless of course it's the Broncos. Incidentally there was not one word spoken in the media about that game I mentioned earlier despite it being a historic statistical moment. I don't believe it has ever happened before or since. Sure, maybe there was a game where the count might have been one or two nil but FUCKING 10 NIL!!!! I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT IT HA HA.

Anyway, opinions on the new rule and why you hate it!!
This is really spot on. It hands a huge amount of control to the Referee but removes the recording of actual penalties that can then hold that referee to account for any trends or patterns in their decisions.

Combined with a single Referee, it gives a single official the ability to set the tempo of a game and even things up whenever and however they see fit depending on what is happening on the field.

It's honestly getting more and more like watching the WWE every day now.

It is very inconsistent and subject to the refs feeling or wants of the game unfortunately. The accountability is horrible and teams have already worked a way around it.....The average on ground hold time is around 2.5 seconds from the time they hit the deck. Watch the big teams now wrestling standing up and not cutting the legs down until the last minute. They've moved the wrestle from the ground to standing up.

Last edited:
It is very inconsistent and subject to the refs feeling or wants of the game unfortunately. The accountability is horrible and teams have already worked a way around it.....The average on ground hold time is around 2.5 seconds from the time they hit the deck. Watch the big teams now wrestling standing up and not cutting the legs down until the last minute. They've moved the wrestle from the ground to standing up.
And when a player gets contact and goes to the ground deliberately they call it voluntary tackle...should have just penalised then for the wrestling in the first place.

A couple of things come to mind. First is that my gut feeling towards the rule is heavily influenced by the fact we have absolutely failed to cope with the change, so I'm naturally biased against it. I'll give it another month or so before I come down fully against it. By then hopefully we won't be giving away twice as many 6-agains as the next worst team.

The second point is that I can already see signs of a backlash in the media brewing. Pretty much all the channel 9 guys take their cue from Gus, and in a recent article he has flagged nit-picking 6-agains as an issue that is starting to surface. All it will take is Gus to be on commentary for a Panthers or Roosters game where they're on the wrong end of a boat load of 6-agains and then he and all of his sheep on 9 will be singing the same tune about referees going too far with it.

When that happens the NRL, being as reactive as they always are, will tell the referees to settle down and we'll be back to something resembling normality.

A couple of things come to mind. First is that my gut feeling towards the rule is heavily influenced by the fact we have absolutely failed to cope with the change, so I'm naturally biased against it. I'll give it another month or so before I come down fully against it. By then hopefully we won't be giving away twice as many 6-agains as the next worst team.

The second point is that I can already see signs of a backlash in the media brewing. Pretty much all the channel 9 guys take their cue from Gus, and in a recent article he has flagged nit-picking 6-agains as an issue that is starting to surface. All it will take is Gus to be on commentary for a Panthers or Roosters game where they're on the wrong end of a boat load of 6-agains and then he and all of his sheep on 9 will be singing the same tune about referees going too far with it.

When that happens the NRL, being as reactive as they always are, will tell the referees to settle down and we'll be back to something resembling normality.
Ah yes, but all too late for the poor Broncos whose young team's psyche has been irreparably damaged by systematic manipulation of a flawed rule that appeared mid-season for no reason in particular.

Or will they all be holding signs to see DCE use his Jekkt special?

Ah yes, but all too late for the poor Broncos whose young team's psyche has been irreparably damaged by systematic manipulation of a flawed rule that appeared mid-season for no reason in particular.
I doubt their spirits are so brittle. More likely it will be our win-loss record that will be irreparably damaged by that point.

I doubt their spirits are so brittle. More likely it will be our win-loss record that will be irreparably damaged by that point.
I hope you are right about the spirit and wrong about the ratio but I'm not optimistic.

Don't get me started on the 6 again rule. The 40/20 and 20/40 rules are also stupid, if a team is so useless they can't get out of their half or quarter in five tackles they deserve to be under the pump.

Don't get me started on the 6 again rule. The 40/20 and 20/40 rules are also stupid, if a team is so useless they can't get out of their half or quarter in five tackles they deserve to be under the pump.
And why doesn't a 30/30 count?

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • pennywisealfie
  • Nerd
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • Skyblues87
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Brocko
  • Tim K
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.