Six Again Calls

Truth be told the refs can now have a major, major impact on the outcome of the game in the first five minutes. That's what I've observed the last 2 rounds so far.

The best approach I find is to just join the asterisk premiership bandwagon and treat this season like one giant experiment, because that's clearly what the NRL are doing anyway. If anything I feel sorry for the Parra fans that they are getting their fairytale backrub in 2020, because it's not gonna mean shit to anyone soon enough.

My take on this rule is very simple, piss it off !

The game has already been tampered with enough and made faster

I know this has been said before but I'll say it again.

I posted a few times that I couldn't get my head around why the difference between our 1st two rounds, and the last two. Having read this thread, and watched all games, the answer is obvious. Others have pointed it out in this thread. This new Rule forces teams to re-think their defensive structures, develop really quick PTB's in attack and fitness. All these basic elements of good football are now more than ever critical to winning ... and not getting flogged. We haven't adapted. The last 2 results show that, and sadly, having a rookie forward pack hasn't helped. It takes time to adapt.

This for mine, is now really all on our coaching staff, and we have been stuffing around with inconsistent defence since our fantastic structures and attitude in 2015/16.

Trent Robinson wrote somewhere that for the foreseeable future, this new Rule will see score lines blow out and close games diminish, unless those games are between the top teams who are top teams because they have adapted to the new Rule, like the Roosters, Canberra and the Eels. But then, top sides have always played like top sides. The new Rule just brings this into sharper focus.

Robinson wrote that the game is now more than ever (like it or not) about QUICK changes in momentum - stopping well executed attacking momentum- defending intelligently and effectively against it, and developing one's own attacking momentum to the max.

With the new Rule, slow, sloppy defensive structure, poor tackling techniques and less than optimal fitness are now being exposed more than ever before. Teams with slow PTB's and sloppy shapes are being hammered. Intelligent use of the bench is also important. We need to adapt, and fast.

Our "wait for them" defensive structures are actually a good way of dealing with the new Rule, but only if we defend as we did back in '15.

Here's how to do it. Until we do, we will get flogged every time ... and man do we miss Matt Gillett on the edge.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2015/06/24/the-breakdown-with-matt-elliott-broncos-defence/

Last edited:

I posted a few times that I couldn't get my head around why the difference between our 1st two rounds, and the last two. Having read this thread, and watched all games, the answer is obvious. Others have pointed it out in this thread. This new Rule forces teams to re-think their defensive structures, develop really quick PTB's in attack and fitness. All these basic elements of good football are now more than ever critical to winning ... and not getting flogged. We haven't adapted. The last 2 results show that, and sadly, having a rookie forward pack hasn't helped. It takes time to adapt.

This for mine, is now really all on our coaching staff, and we have been stuffing around with inconsistent defence since our fantastic structures and attitude in 2015/16.

Trent Robinson wrote somewhere that for the foreseeable future, this new Rule will see score lines blow out and close games diminish, unless those games are between the top teams who are top teams because they have adapted to the new Rule, like the Roosters, Canberra and the Eels. But then, top sides have always played like top sides. The new Rule just brings this into sharper focus.

Robinson wrote that the game is now more than ever (like it or not) about QUICK changes in momentum - stopping well executed attacking momentum- defending intelligently and effectively against it, and developing one's own attacking momentum to the max.

With the new Rule, slow, sloppy defensive structure, poor tackling techniques and less than optimal fitness are now being exposed more than ever before. Teams with slow PTB's and sloppy shapes are being hammered. Intelligent use of the bench is also important. We need to adapt, and fast.

Our "wait for them" defensive structures are actually a good way of dealing with the new Rule, but only if we defend as we did back in '15.

Here's how to do it. Until we do, we will get flogged every time ... and man do we miss Matt Gillett on the edge.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2015/06/24/the-breakdown-with-matt-elliott-broncos-defence/
Nice post. I also reckon Matt Elliot might make a good mentor for Siebs in terms of throwing a few footy tips instead of stats around.

Nice post. I also reckon Matt Elliot might make a good mentor for Siebs in terms of throwing a few footy tips instead of stats around.

Thanks 😊 and I agree 100% with your key point about Seibs throwing around stats and hopefully not ignoring both footy tips about defence, and team building, one of Bennett's strengths which went a fair way to compensate for what were for mine, some weaknesses in tactics.

I just hope Seibold isn't arrogant to the point where he ignores the need to coach defence in a way that adapts to the new 6 Again Rule (He can start by watching vids of our 2015 defence) and builds the team mentally to teach resilience, so when the going gets tough the tough get going - not easy with the more or less rookie roster we have at the moment.

As for Matt Elliot, if it were me, I'd hire him in a heartbeat. His analyses are spot on.

TBH I was pretty disappointed with the new rule. It is a real side killer if you get a few in a row early. Broncos aren't getting any favours with it and it gives refs a lot of power to quietly swing momentum. But... it isn't totally why we are getting belted and have no points in us.

As stated above it's highlighted a lot of fitness issues, our lack of structure and too many inexperienced players. I'm pretty sure we still lose both those games by large margins even if we only got half the calls. All we can do is see if these blokes can adapt and give a good account of themselves for the rest of the year.

We're in all sorts of strife if this pace of the game continues. You get fitter with every preseason and our boys have had very few collectively. It was a problem beforehand, but now it's only going to be exacerbated by the increased speed of the game.

Nice post. This is very true. It is unfortunate that we're in need of such a quick change when that really isn't possible. Our defence is clearly a major reform. However, it isn't as though we were given much chance at that in how the new rule was introduced and implemented. I stand by my statements previously that there is still a lot of inconsistency between decisions and the first 20 minutes of a game are deciding matches.

We don't control the ruck and our edge defense is terrible. The rule change just highlights it more. We have no line speed. Further, when we have the ball we are slow and one out. There is no game plan. Oh except for apparently swapping an outside back late in the game on Sivo. With no backrowers, no decent defense from Boyd or Milford, the same old ruck and marker defense, and slow service in attack it will be more of the same. The answers to these problems simply are not in our squad. THis is all on Siebold. In my view the rule change may make it worse but it is not to blame

Last edited:
Just saw that hasler is setting a meeting with sutton about consistency issues with the 6 again rule. Why has seibs not been doing this given that we appear to be public enemy number 1 for this?

Just saw that hasler is setting a meeting with sutton about consistency issues with the 6 again rule. Why has seibs not been doing this given that we appear to be public enemy number 1 for this?

Possibly because whining about the Rule given 2 successive thrashings would not look good especially given how our already poor defence has been exposed for what it is by the new Rule, however inconsistently applied by dick refs.

Last edited:
Possibly because whining about the Rule given 2 successive thrashings would not look good especially given how our already poor defence has been exposed for what it is by the new Rule, however inconsistently applied by dick refs.

Even if he was it would be stupid to announce he is due to the media bias. Seibs does it and he would be hounded for using it to excuse the results, Des does it and it is “kooky Des, the mad professor, good on him”.

Does the 6 again rule take away the attacking teams right to take a penalty goal, say if its a tight game low on time where 2 points gets them home, or is it not deemed a penalty? The reason I don't like it I guess is because I don't understand the nuances of the rule - I do agree with Des, there has been some consistency issues but that applies to almost every decision. I think it would be better if there were still 2 refs.

There's so much I dislike about this rule...

One of these things is how it gives the referee no accountability as there is a lack of replays to highlight any mistake in reading the ruck. I'd buy this rule fair and square if there were still two referees... One looking over the ruck and ensuring no MILKING happens. But instead, you're relying on a guy standing 10m away from what's going on to make the right call?? All the while getting guys on side? Naaaa

The other is it now advantages the teams who like to hug and wrestle slowly to the ground like Melb and East's. It has actually ENCANCED the wrestle, not abolish it. So there's now a disadvantage to the teams that like to play fast paced footy like us and cowboys. Those matches are guaranteed to become blow outs now. We've seen the end of golden point Broncos v Cowboy clashes under this new rule GUARANTEED.

Ways we can get out of this hole we're in:

We need to capitalise on the stripping rule. We should be practicing this for hours one day a week every week at training. If we can't win the ruck cause our guys are too soft and young, then we need to find a way to turn the momentum after being on the back foot. We need to master the stripping tactic like Canberra have done.

The other thing is fix our 5th tackle kicks. Both games they continuously kicked to the same point on the field all night. Boring!!!! Predictable!!! Stop that! Stop it! Fix that up now.

Last edited:
If I were a coach, I would tell my players that if you give away a six-again, as soon as you hear the call, hold the next tackle too long and either get penalised or trust that the ref won't blow another one. And if he does, hold the next tackle down longer.

Last edited:
If I were a coach, I would tell my players that if you give away a six-again, as soon as you hear the call, hold the next tackle too long and either get penalised or trust that the ref won't blow another one. And if he does, hold the next tackle down longer.
And you can thank that player in person 20 seconds later even they're sitting next to you for 10mins

This new rules seems ideal for the type of play the Walker brothers were trying to establish. Time in possession.

Isaako should find a player who can actually catch and start practicing their short kick offs and short drop outs together nonstop. The boys in the middle need to learn Canberra’s stripping technique. Winning back possession via unconventional means is king this season.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  • johnny plath
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MrMoore
  • Broncosgirl
  • Swordfish
  • Stix
  • Wild Horse
  • LGH
  • Broncs1459
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Big Del
  • Manifesto
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Ras
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.