Six Again Calls

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Serious question here. I’m not suggesting there is a conspiracy against us or anything like that necessarily, but I’m struggling to wrap my head around our results under the new six again rule.

The whole point of the rule change was to speed the game up and punish sides who wrestle and lay in the play the ball - ok, that’s fine, I can appreciate that. We’ve suffered from our inability in these areas for years now.

So if that’s the case, how is it that seemingly overnight we’ve gone from a team who were for years apparently hopeless at the wrestle and were seemingly unable to slow down opposition play the balls, constantly letting opposition teams get on a roll around the ruck, to all of a sudden the apparent worst offenders in the competition at laying in the ruck and obstructing play the balls.

How can it be that a side that other teams relished coming up against because of our inability to slow down their ruck speed all of a sudden be receiving set after set of 6 again calls against them?

Have I missed something here? Surely I’m not the only one who thinks this is a bizarre turnaround to say the least?

Last edited:
Serious question here. I’m not suggesting there is a conspiracy against us or anything like that necessarily, but I’m struggling to wrap my head around our results under the new six again rule.

The whole point of the rule change was to speed the game up and punish sides who wrestle and lay in the play the ball - ok, that’s fine, I can appreciate that. We’ve suffered from our inability in these areas for years now.

So if that’s the case, how is it that seemingly overnight we’ve gone from a team who were for years apparently hopeless at the wrestle and were seemingly unable to slow down opposition play the balls, constantly letting opposition teams get on a roll around the ruck, to all of a sudden the apparent worst offenders in the competition at laying in the ruck and obstructing play the balls.

How can it be that a side that other teams relished coming up against because of our inability to slow down their ruck speed all of a sudden be receiving set after set of 6 again calls against them?

Have I missed something here? Surely I’m not the only one who thinks this is a bizarre turnaround to say the least?
Ask the coach. It's his job to make sure his team understands rule changes and adheres to them.
[automerge]1591395710[/automerge]
It would be interesting to see the number of six agains each team has had against in the last two weeks. Brisbane must be comfortably number 1.
I suspect you will be right. But I bet they've been coached to be good at a lot of other stuff that goes unnoticed on or off the field.

Last edited:
The rule change just amplified our ineptitude in the ruck. The fact that we never “win” the ruck in either attack or defence means we don’t get to play the game at our pace.

It really just highlights how far behind the eight ball we are when it comes to doing the little things right in the modern game.

Last edited:
The rule change just amplified our ineptitude in the ruck. The fact that we never “win” the ruck in either attack or defence means we don’t get to play the game at our pace.
I think the biggest problem is that “our” pace is well off the mark. They don’t get back ten and off their line In defence fast enough, don’t play the ball fast enough, don’t hit hard enough. It’s like we train at a certain tired level at training but then they get to the game and it’s above that level and they can’t handle it!

Ask the coach. It's his job to make sure his team understands rule changes and adheres to them.
[automerge]1591395710[/automerge]
As you know I Obviously can’t ask the Coach, I’m not sure what the point of that comment was. Obviously the Coach has some explaining to do.

That would seem to be oversimplifying it though to put it all on Siebold. We sucked at the wrestle and controlling the ruck going back to Bennett and probably even back to Griffin.

It’s obviously Seibold’s job to fix it and he is accountable for it now, but I do think it warrants asking questions around how a side who seemingly couldn’t do anything to slow down opposition play the balls or wrestle effectively at all back in March is suddenly in the space of two games now the competition’s worst offender at slowing down play the balls and wrestling too long in the tackle.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem is that “our” pace is well off the mark. They don’t get back ten and off their line In defence fast enough, don’t play the ball fast enough, don’t hit hard enough. It’s like we train at a certain tired level at training but then they get to the game and it’s above that level and they can’t handle it!

That all comes back to not winning the ruck. Our forwards rarely get their body in between defenders and find their front so they don’t earn the right to have a quick ptb.

They don’t get back fast enough because they don’t win the ruck in defence so the opposition gets a quick ptb and gets us even further on the back foot.

Worst thing you could to be is be paranoid about the NRL being out to get the broncos. They were laying in the ruck for those 6 agains, Milfords was diabolical, Arthars was just stupid.

Zero on field leadership either, no one to answer to or be afraid to cop a spray from, Glenn is not the answer to that either. It’s lord of the flies out there.

I think it’s a combination of all these. We don’t have the line speed or dominate tackles to win the ruck. As the opposition march down the field we get desperate to slow them down. However, there have been some pretty questionable calls that have piled the pressure on us or given huge momentum to the opposition. The defensive style we play is allowing this to happen and needs to be adapted.

As you know I Obviously can’t ask the Coach, I’m not sure what the point of that comment was. Obviously the Coach has some explaining to do.

That would seem to be oversimplifying it though to put it all on Siebold. We sucked at the wrestle and controlling the ruck going back to Bennett and probably even back to Griffin.

It’s obviously Seibold’s job to fix it and he is accountable for it now, but I do think it warrants asking questions around how a side who seemingly couldn’t do anything to slow down opposition play the balls or wrestle effectively at all back in March is suddenly in the space of two games now the competition’s worst offender at slowing down play the balls and wrestling too long in the tackle.
I've seen folk on here blaming the NRL for making rules that are too hard for our team, and blaming the refs for being biased against our team. Neither is productive criticism.

In my opinion, it's the coach's job to coach the team not to break the rules, whatever you think of them. That's how winners do it.

That all comes back to not winning the ruck. Our forwards rarely get their body in between defenders and find their front so they don’t earn the right to have a quick ptb.

They don’t get back fast enough because they don’t win the ruck in defence so the opposition gets a quick ptb and gets us even further on the back foot.
100% but what’s the root cause? Is it fitness or is it effort level? I tend to always think those too come hand in hand most of the time.

I've seen folk on here blaming the NRL for making rules that are too hard for our team, and blaming the refs for being biased against our team. Neither is productive criticism.

In my opinion, it's the coach's job to coach the team not to break the rules, whatever you think of them. That's how winners do it.
I don’t blame the NRL. It was basically the first thing I wrote acknowledging that this isn’t some anti-Broncos conspiracy.

I just can’t wrap my head around us having an issue in the ruck in March (and going back several years before that) where we allowed teams to have super quick play the balls because we couldn’t wrestle properly and didn’t know how to lay in the ruck and slow it down properly - and all of a sudden we’re this team that gets hammered with six again calls because we now apparently wrestle and lay in the ruck too much relative to everyone else.

I’m not suggesting it’s an NRL conspiracy, but bloody hell It’s seemingly a stunning turn around in how we behave in the tackle on the ground basically overnight.

Last edited:

The last premiers, be it the the Cheats, Chooks or Souffs, could've fooled me!

Just so you are aware don’t expect any rational discussion from people that have decided that it is all the coaches fault and he has to go regardless. Don’t get me wrong I have one foot off the Seibold train myself but I don’t see the point in posts like the above.

Just so you are aware don’t expect any rational discussion from people that have decided that it is all the coaches fault and he has to go regardless. Don’t get me wrong I have one foot off the Seibold train myself but I don’t see the point in posts like the above.
Of course it's the coach's fault. This is what you drill day in, day out. The other theory is that our players are dumber than everyone else's and you can't teach them the basics. Which makes more sense?

Last edited:
Its fear that is keeping us in the ruck. Look at that cheat at Melbourne, kicking out to get a rest, our fear is that the opponent will get a roll on and we don't have the legs to keep up. This fear is happening in the first 5 minutes because the players know they don't have the fitness to stay with him. What did our players do over the 8 weeks off? How did Parramatta come out fitter, faster and more confident than us by following the same rules we had to train under. Fear and no ability to read the play.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Culhwch
  • Mustafur
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • BroncoFan94
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.