Smith Calls for Storm Premierships to be Reinstated

Discussion in 'Rugby League Talk' started by Eta Carinae, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Foordy

Foordy

Smith now calling for player who have played 300+ NRL games to be 100% salary cap exempt

smith claiming that the Storm get no exemptions or benefits from having developed him into a 300 gamer ... but that simply is BS ... the Storm get veterans allowances and Marquee allowances etc that they can use for him. he just wants a billion dollars a year, that is the problem

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    abashii, LGH and Sirlee oldman like this.
  2. What are those rules though, they're still pretty limited aren't they?

3. Foordy

Foordy

Veterans Allowance

$0.2 million (200K) – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

I believe this 200k is available for any player that is eligible in your squad

Marquee Allowance

There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players under the Marquee Player Agreement allowance.

this is currently 600k per club, but can't see if there is a specific way this needs to be divided or if the club can give one player the entire allowance

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

4. 1910

1910 State of Origin Rep

Broncos' fans have been calling for this for 20 years.

$200,000

That's not that much- you could have three guys eligible for some of that at a club. An extra $50,000-$60,000 isn't too much of an incentive to develop players.

Huge and Alec like this.
  5. jd87

jd87 NRL Player

even though i hate smith i don't think its a bad idea. i mean how many players will hit 300 games total let alone for just 1 club.

there has probably been maybe a dozen in the last decade who have achieved it for one club. so its not like it will be something you see often and will be saved for the select few special players who deserve to earn as much as they can in there short career and what better way then with the club they love.

6. Alec

Alec International Rep

Yep, Broncos and the fans have been wanting that for ages now. I'm still all for it too.

7. Morkel

Morkel

Sounds good - it also means other clubs will be able to compete for their signature without having to balance their cap. Broncos to open up their wallet.

8. That's not very much, and is pretty poor really. Doesn't really give any incentive to actually develop your own players, and doesn't give any reason for a player to remain loyal to their club to hang around and wait for your bonus at the end.

mrslong likes this.
  9. Sproj

Sproj

It totally fits the NRL though. Allows them to keep the lesser, offer nothing clubs in the hunt year in and year out.

Locky's Left Boot likes this.
  10. Battler

Battler NRL Captain

Is he talking about 300 games for one club, or 300 games in the NRL? it would be a joke if it was 300 games for any club. The rorters wouldn't even have to pretend to be doing things by the book, they'd just flat out sign any quality vet for millions of dollars. Uncle Nick could have gone out last year and offered Cronk and Smith 5 mil each (Slater didn't have 300 games I don't think).

EDIT: And another 5 for JT too.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  11. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

yeah smith is a wanker but I do think there should be some sort of cap concession for long serving players at the one club. maybe make it 200+ games, that's a good 8 seasons or so.

12. Foordy

Foordy

yeah my fully cap exempt is just BS ...

maybe change the veterans allowance from 200k per club to 200k for any player eligible with the caveat that they have been at that club for 8 years or more (if they move to a different club the timer resets).

abashii and Renegade like this.
  13. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

i'd be all for that, i think it would stop older heads being moved on purely to save cash for the up and comers. plus i think players and clubs should be rewarded for sticking together long term, its mutually beneficial.

LGH likes this.
  14. mitch222

mitch222 State of Origin Rep

8 years at the club isn't much especially if they have been at the club since they were 15 or they debut at 18. 300 games should be the mark. Its a longevity number that not many players accomplish and those that do are normally one club players anyways and towards the end of their career.

15. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

If they debut at 18 and play every single game + finals, it is just under 8 seasons, so it would be 8 seasons as far as contract negotiations are concerned.

I'd bet the number of players hitting 200 games under 26 is quite low, due to injury, suspension, poor form, rep duties, etc.

Locky's Left Boot likes this.
  16. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/p...s/news-story/835c9252dde23bcee606ecb1ecc01b1e

17. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/fd7ad0dd5a5adf358893a8be682743ad

18. Sproj

Sproj

What should happen:

Cronulla gets their premiership taken off them as well and actually have to sit out a season with no points.

What will happen:

Storm will get their premierships reinstated and a full apology given to the club and especially Smith with fines to be repaid into Smith's personal bank account.

scobie likes this.
  19. Alec

Alec International Rep

**** do it NRL!

LGH, broncospwn, Foordy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Allo

Allo NRL Player

Wait until he has most losses, then do it