Sonny Set To Leave The NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Sonny Bill Williams is reportedly set to leave the Canterbury Bulldogs with a move to rugby union beckoning - Likely within the next 3 days.

The Daily Telegraph understands Williams is unhappy at Belmore and wants out of his five-year $400,000 a year contract.

The 22-year-old is subject to a huge offer from French Rugby Union club Toulon, who recently signed Mark Gasnier on a Huge two-year deal.

Formerly The 22 year old superstar was refused a release and had been told that he would be sued if he walked out. It appears as though Toulon are willing to pay any fines he receives along with a $1.2 million a year four-year deal.

Is Sonny Bill going to be the latest league star to join the union exodus and team with Mark Gasnier?

More information as it comes.

Just saw this on the bulldogs forum, I think it's just rumors.

The Rock said:
I doubt it's a rumour, he already expressed interest to join Union. He said if the All Blacks expressed interest right now that he'd definitely think about it. In other words, he'd beg the Dogs to let him off his contract and join.

So if France are offering millions of dollars for him, I can't see how he wouldn't want to go.

If it happens and he walks out, I hope the Bulldogs sue him big time. They could probably sue for a few million.

WELL Article saids tulon will pay sue fines.

FFS just go you loser, money hungry wank stain. I hate the Bulldogs but I feel for them, they have looked after Sonny through all his injuries and now he wants to play YAWNION.

SBW would be absolutely sh1t at union. he has one big thing going for him in league, his shoulder charges, and they have been banned in union. plus he is already injury prone in league, so he would be even worse playing union.

His offloads have a big part in his game IMO.
Otherwise i don't give a toss about the pric.

Would be a massive loss to the Dogs. Just means theyve got more money to spend if he goes which means they will become very active on the player market next season (much more than they have this year, even though they bought 4-5 players).

I think SBW would make a decent flanker, but who knows where a coach would want to play him in union!

It would be yet another tragedy if he goes. He has so much talent and so much appeal to younger, polynesian and female fans, if he goes it will be a far worse lose than Gasnier was in the grand scheme of things. This is just a joke really, the NRL keep saying they have their hands tied and that a new Gaz or SBW will come and they don't appear to be making any steps to alleviate this huge problem which I am sure they are very worried about. FOOLS.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Coxy said:

Yes Coxy, encourage the further damaging of our game. I agree he has been acting like a turd over his pay and about Willie being released when he was begged by Willie to stay blah blah blah, he is a talent to good to hand to a rival competition let alone a rival sport. These bids are eating away at what little credibility the NRL has left.......I was bound to bite again sooner or later you bloody stirrer!

If SBW goes, this would be the second biggest loss to Union, that the NRL has ever experienced, behind Tuquiri's departure.

This would really send shockwaves. Croos my fingers (I know it sounds bad) that they both play like shit over in France.

The Nine Network's monkey circus must be petting each other's erections over this one. Think about the air time they can rack up harping on this!

I don't care much for Dunny Bill and his circus, and I don't believe he has ever come close to matching the hype attached to his name. He has a load of talent and on occassion will put it on show in brilliant fashion, but that can be applied to countless other footballers aswell. And lets not get started on his history with injuries.

But having said that, the hype surrounding Williams is on its own a great thing for the game. Like it or not, the SBW "brand" (*chunders*) has no doubt brought a fair bit of new interest in the Dogs and the game - particularly the kiddies, ladies and of course the young islanders who are looking to follow his path to the top grade. As much as I hate to use the word, there'd be plenty of people out there who idolise him.

So as much of a wank and overrated as some of us may think he is, his hype alone probably makes him worth keeping around.

One thing working in Dunny's favour though is that he may see a tad more action playing Onion than Le Gaz. By playing in the outside backs of a French Onion team, Gasnier is garunteed to be spending more time touching a couple of smaller balls than the big white one. Rah.

The article was a gee-up guys, Some idiot on that forum made the whole thing up rofl!

broncospwn said:
The article was a gee-up guys, Some idiot on that forum made the whole thing up rofl!

What a shame.

Sick of hearing about him complaining about everything.

boo hoo, I should be getting more money. (I will leave the dogs)

Fark it. Wish the hack would just piss off.

Well, from what I've read, if you don't perform in France, they tear up your contract without hesitation.

But that's not the point really - as posted in other threads on such poaching. It's that cashed up French Yawnion and English Super League are on-track to ruin our game, whatever anyone thinks of Gasnier, SBW, Thurston, Rooney etc. etc..

It won't be long before players like Inglis, Hunt, Folau and even Locky are offered squillions to go O/S or even to Oz Yawnion.

Gee up or not this is still a serious issue. Either the useless f*ckwits that are the NRL pull their finger out and do something about the slide RL is in, or we watch our game die. It's as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Fitzy
  • barker
  • Socnorb
  • Matheos
  • Waynesaurus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mister Wright
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • the_next
  • GCBRONCO
  • Galah
  • mitch222
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.