Souths have 5 captains?

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Souths have announced that they will have 5 captains in 2012 - Michael Crocker, Roy Asotasi, Sam Burgess, Matt King and John Sutton.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/News/Club-News/Rabbitohs-Announce-Five-Captains-for-2012.html

Apparently they will take it in turns each week to attend the coin toss and speak with the referees.

Ok, now I have no idea whether or not there will really be 1 captain out on the field and that this is simply a 'leadership group' of sorts, but doesn't naming 5 captains cheapen the honor a bit? I can understand having 2 captains like the Cowboys did last year, but to me naming 5 captains sends the message that nobody at that club is willing to stand up and take charge of the troops as a full-time responsibility. I would've thought that they'd name 1 captain and have a leadership group as well.

Thoughts???

What a waste of time. May as well pick the captain out of a hat before each game.

LMAO! 5 captains, what a joke!
As beads has said, picking a name out of a hat before each game would at least provide a bit of fun...

Clearly, Souths are going to quantity over quality.

Matt King, FFS!!!! Hasn't even played yet!

Didn't Melbourne do something similar which 'won' them the 2006 Minor Premiership?

Didn't Melbourne do something similar which 'won' them the 2006 Minor Premiership?

that had more to do with the team at their disposal rather than having a 5 captain rotation policy. besides Souths have nowhere near the quality of the team that the Storm had in 2006

Who cares?? Doesn't make it any good. Nobody cares about the minor-premiership anyway.?

What if on the extremely low chance they make it to the finals who gets captaincy then. What if they make the GF will they do a coin toss for captaincy? LOL

What if on the extremely low chance they make it to the finals who gets captaincy then. What if they make the GF will they do a coin toss for captaincy? LOL

Not worth thinking about. It just won't happen.

I guess the shame of leading the Rabbitohs is just too much for one man to bear.

Who cares?? Doesn't make it any good. Nobody cares about the minor-premiership anyway.?

I'm just saying it isn't the worst idea and has lead to some reasonable success. Personally I'm on the fence with this decision.

Will give McGuire some time to see who can actually lead the side instead of giving it to somebody like an Asotasi who's shown he's not fit to lead the side.

Might also get Sutton to wake up.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it was a smart move including Sutton they need him to stand up big time this year.

Maguire has seen it used at the Storm, the Swans and at Wigan. It is nothing more than building a better team culture for a team that has been lacking in it. It will not bring success, that is the effort required by the 17 men who take to the field on game day. I don't care who is captain or one of the captains, I just want this team to start winning.

Thats odd especially as they gave captaincy to Matt King who is yesterday's man and John Sutton who is a hopeless joe of a player. The captain coach partnership has the ability to get the best out of any team, but with 5 captains the players would have to play under a new leader every week. LOL@$ouffs

Comparing the storm to the Rabbitohs is way off the mark IMO

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • barker
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • BroncosAlways
  • RolledOates
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  • Behold
  • Gympie devil
  • Fatboy
  • Galah
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.