SPOILERS!! Broncos VS Parra

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Big Pete said:
Poor Lockyer...

Makes a great tackle and follows it up with a poor attempt at a field goal after slipping over.

Lockyer busted his arse today it is a real shame over half the team didn't show half the heart Lockyer did. Lockyer won't play Origin next year he knows the Broncos need him.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I thought Clinton was awesome today... by far our best player. Making meters, tackling his guts out, VERY IMPRESSIVE... [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

McCullough also had a good game today IMO.

at least we didn't concede 40 again...

Our position in the 8 is now in real jeopardy though, we need to get some wins on the board quick, starting with the Warriors at home next week.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Our inability to shut down offloads absolutely killed us today. We need to get better at shutting down the football. It's been our achilies heal for us for years.

Just have to improve our tackling. We are a soft footy club at the moment it pains me to say.

Lockyer was heroic today. Can't be more proud of his efforts given he backed up from Wednesday night. He was out on his feet from the 50th minute yet he still steered the team as best he could.

Will be interested to see the attendance on Friday night. We're going to get a few hopping off the bandwaggon given we're now outside the 8 and on the precipice.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yep Clinton was awesome today but I am not sure about McCullough sure he scored a try but so often he isn't at dummy half when he needs to be... I think McCullough needs to start from the bench I think he runs the ball far too much from dummy half.

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
No heart, no pride and absolutely no respect for themselves and their team. Another disgraceful performance.

Same old bullshit problems week in, week out. But hey, Henjak and Ryan are on top of it.

Lack of dominant tackles, concede too many offloads and metres. It would be nice to go back to the days where we could just cut a guy in half (said it earlier in the thread we need a tough man like Gilly coaching our forwards). Sick of this soft shoulder charge crap as it has no impact. Why can't we teach our forwards for one to go high and the other to go low and also wrap the ball up.

Locky is going to lose his mind at some of these players, because someone has to. If this was the NSW team, the axe would have been wielded by now.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
That shouldn't have really gone to golden point. I'm not laying any of the blame on him, but i reckon Parker would land that kick 8/10 times.

Anyway, i thought it was an excellent fight back from the Broncos after such a poor start.

Obviously there are some big problems with our defensive structure, but there was more of an effort there than in previous weeks IMO.

Whenever Clinton is off the field, our pack seems to lose all momentum. He'll be crucial in the next few weeks while Kenny is out.

Thaiday carried on with his Origin form, good knock. Parker also did extremely well in defence.

Lockyer saved us a few times with some last ditch tackles which i thought was impressive. His kicking game was decent as well.

Steve Michaels scored two tries, simple ones at that. His defence was woeful and he seems to get smashed every time he hits the ball up.

Credit to Dale Copley, didn't have much of an impact attacking wise, but he held his own. Took a great catch from a bomb late on in the game.

I also think Hunt had a decent game even though he crocked his ankle early on. Two try assists for him.

I'm certainly not giving up on this season just yet.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I was impressed with Copley too. and i thought that Thaiday was running wider in attack today as well he needs to do more of that.

M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Ineffective/missed tackles & lack of second phase continue to be the main things holding us back in my opinion. We ca always hang in their when the whole team lifts, but even then we'll always be offering half chances to our opponents and be relatively predictable in our attack.

An improvement today nevertheless and hopefully that will continue as we come out of Origin. Really need a couple of wins soon though.

M

markmac

BRL Player
Apr 21, 2008
broncosil said:
No heart, no pride and absolutely no respect for themselves and their team. Another disgraceful performance.

Same old bullshit problems week in, week out. But hey, Henjak and Ryan are on top of it.

Lack of dominant tackles, concede too many offloads and metres. It would be nice to go back to the days where we could just cut a guy in half (said it earlier in the thread we need a tough man like Gilly coaching our forwards). Sick of this soft shoulder charge crap as it has no impact. Why can't we teach our forwards for one to go high and the other to go low and also wrap the ball up.

Locky is going to lose his mind at some of these players, because someone has to. If this was the NSW team, the axe would have been wielded by now.

We are very passive in defence, we either go around the ankles or up high but with no aggression. We need to go in hard and in with numbers. I'd like to see Henjak stick with the forwards who have the most promise and stick with them so that we can get combinations and familiarity/trust in defence and attack. I think he's had long enough to pick his team. This constant chopping and changing is only hurting us. I think the best coaches are the ones who can see promise in players and stick with the team they think will best get the job done

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
broncosil said:

A loss doesn't always equal no heart. Massive defense problems, yes, but I think there were a lot of big efforts out there today, especially from the players backing up. Clinton and Parker also had really solid games.

We were never going to suddenly be back to our best, I think a close win was the most we could hope for. In the end it wasn't to be, but still a huge improvement on the last 3 weeks.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
markmac said:
broncosil said:

We are very passive in defence, we either go around the ankles or up high but with no aggression. We need to go in hard and in with numbers. I'd like to see Henjak stick with the forwards who have the most promise and stick with them so that we can get combinations and familiarity/trust in defence and attack. I think he's had long enough to pick his team. This constant chopping and changing is only hurting us. I think the best coaches are the ones who can see promise in players and stick with the team they think will best get the job done

I agree to a certain extent. It's time to get some stability in the forwards. Esp the D half position. Niggling injuries and origin not helping at all at the moment.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Five on the trot coming up. That was easily our best game of the past month, but that ain't saying much....

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
You know what? After watching the game I'm going to take back what I said earlier. That was our best performance since the last Parramatta game and the only difference in the end was the result. With two key players out (which basically nullified our right hand side) and plenty playing hurt and one of our more underated players getting injured early I thought the boys really put in today and if it wasn't for the effort by those who aren't up to it, I thought the boys could've won today.

Lockyer tried his heart out today and had he not slipped who knows what could've happened? Hunt carried his intensity into the game and nearly won us the game with the last ditch left side raid, Thaiday also played his best game in a long long time.

The rest I thought had very mixed games. Winterstein did a number of good and bad things, his dummy half passing in particular had me cringing. Michaels again was a liability. Glenn and Copley were both wasted on the right hand side, never received good ball and basically did all the clean up work.

Wallace again had a mixed game, threw some good balls and put in some nice grubbers but his long distance kicking game again was dissapointing, especially the out on the full.

The injury to Kenny really hurt us, Taylor turned out to be a liability in return. McCullough again had a mixed game, looked more focus out of dummy half but still making some elementry errors, one of his kicks in particular annoyed me to no end. Gorrell was solid coming on.

Clinton! Wow! What a game from him! Just kept charging and charging, received some decent support in McGuire and Williams, what happened to Sims though? Barely heard boo?

Parker was solid in defence, but his attack left a lot to be desired.

All in all the effort was there and the boys fought until the end. Hopefully they take something out of this performance and back up on Friday with hopefully Hodges and Folau returning.

PS. I can't stand the ABC commentary team...they gave me no indication of the Broncos form in that game.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Clinton and Lockyer were massive positives.
I'm struggling to find more positives. I guess that they fought back from 14-4 down to level with 20 or so to go was good. Pity they then didn't know how to put them to the sword, and eventually cracked.

i didn't expect them back to their best, but the Eels didn't show anything to indicate they're a better team than us. Broncos are still massively behind the 8 ball.

Lose next week, finals are gone IMO.

B

brisbroncosboy

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
The way we are playing at the moment we wont make to the top 8, it was woeful today to much one out stuff and all the offloads and missed tackles killed us my predition is were were are at the moment 9th spot.

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Will add Hunt to the played good brigade, considering he was playing injured he was pretty good IMO.

Like the look of Copely, Winters is running the ball back hard (ggod to see), Taylor is a has been better off not playing him Ivan, Maguire will need to step up now with Kenny gone, clinto is slaying them at present, and was happier when Gorrell came on as he gave us direction AGAIN, Macca goes well don't get me wrong but still is a greenhorn and Gorrell should have been brought on earlier.

Pretty gutsy effort but another loss and gutsy efforts won't get us a finals berth.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Why does the team always look so fatigued across the WHOLE eighty minutes?

But the quality and depth in the playing roster just isn't there at the moment. Copely, Winterstein, Glenn, McGuire, McCullough and Williams are all in the infancy of their NRL careers and guys like Michaels, Wallace and Taylor are in cod ordinary form. And Gorrell and Sims are just cod ordinary fullstop.

We do suck at the moment and it's quite painful and frustrating to watch,

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The positive thing about this game was our best in comparison to the Storm and Sharkies one.

However, I just get really frustrated that we can't seem to shut down the opposition, which results to a lot of offloads and missed tackles.

Unread

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Brocko
  • Richby
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • bb_gun
  • RodF
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • Midean
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.