SPOILERS! Post game Chat Broncos VS Panthers

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Great win and something we really needed. Thats two weeks in a row where the broncos have come up and did exactly what was needed of them and they defs deserve a rap for that.

We can't be too harsh on the broncs against the Dragons, lets put things into perspective here. We did what we had to do against some lower quality opposition and that was to get some confidence, pride and purpose back - which is great. Whoever said the real test is against the Dragons they are 100 percent correct. I wish we had one more game in between but it's not the case and we have to go out there and really have a dig. If we can show we are serious against the Dragons there is no reason we can't win or even gain some valuable lessons for the games after that.

The next four weeks are HUGE. Lets go Broncos!

Lockyer and Parker had great games - good on them and I hope they keep it up for the rest of the year

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Keep that hair short Simmsy, it is working for you and you are playing great footy.

Agree with others a wonderful team effort today and something to build on for Friday night. The senior players stood up in the second half and lead the way, probably Locky's best game all year. The enthusiasm was back and that is what out team needs. The bench has been key the last few weeks and we should stick with the same team till at least Falou is back.

The only thing that does disappoint me is that it has taken the threat of shopping the likes of Sims, Teo, Setu etc around to get them fired up, which just goes to show how comfortable they had become on big money and not thinking they had to perform week in week out. Sims and Teo in particular on the last few weeks should definately be kept, but they need to do it for another month at least to show their spots are warranted.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
Ashton Sims is Samson in reverse. He had a great game. I loved how far back he was standing on kick offs so that he could be in full stride when he hit the line. Was good to see.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Lockyer is GOD, anyone who wants to try a say he is past it should watch that performance today, he still has the coolest head in the game, and comes up with the right play at the right time. I almost creamed in my pants when he kicked that 40/20 icon_smile

Ashton Sims has had a huge wake-up call by being in the QLD Cup for most of the years, I think he is finally showing what Bennett saw in him when we signed him. he needs to keep it up. If he does for the rest of the year and starts next year in the same form we should re-sign him IMO.

Te'o has also been impressing me over the last few weeks, running hard and of Lockyers hip is what we need him to keep doing.

Parker also had a great game today.

well done to all the boys keep it up [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

Our first halves are a bit of a worry but, if we can keep up that second half performance for the rest of the season, not only will we make the finals but we will have the front runners looking over their shoulders at us.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Forgot about parker, huge raps to him he was awesome and so was his kicking game :)

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I am the greatest good luck charm in the history of the Broncos. I came in when the 20's were down 20-6 and then they ran riot to flog the Pennies 48-24 and then the first graders stormed home 40-0 aswell!

Thought the first half was good in attack but we let them roll on very easily and make huge meters in their sets which led to soft tries. However the intensity lifted ten fold after the half and all the passes seemed to stick. We will need intensity like that for 80 minutes next week so hopefully this was a sign of things to come.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Gotta say though, Penrith's defence was incredibly soft. I don't think we could have pulled a lot of those plays off against decent teams. I mean the amount of times we got linebreaks from inside passes was ridiculous.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Alec said:
Gotta say though, Penrith's defence was incredibly soft. I don't think we could have pulled a lot of those plays off against decent teams. I mean the amount of times we got linebreaks from inside passes was ridiculous.

i think its more not being use to the broncos running those inside passes so well. its normally locky just shifting it sideways and trying to go around teams

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
First half was rubbish. That try Puletua scored was woeful. To their credit, the Broncos stuck in and turned it around (and how). I still have major question marks over our defence.

Te'o - where have you been for the past 20 weeks?? Such a good wide running second rower; mate run off Lockyer all day - he's the best in the business and it's taken you 20 weeks to figure it out!!

Dragons will be tough to beat. I think they are vunerable (ala Storm before THAT semi final) but our poor form over the past weeks might work against our confidence if/when this one comes down to the wire, which I think it will.

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
I can't believe that no one mentioned why Lockyer was playing so well. The forwards did their job. They created massive room for him. They worked hard in defense and attacked and allowed both Locky and Wallace to move. They weren't restricted.

One of the reasons that the forwards are suddenly firing is Kenny is back. He is a massive loss, and while not flashy like Te'o (who also had a great game), does a lot of hard work and is probably one of the best forwards on the field helping our halves out.

Special note of Sims, Te'o and Thaiday. Isn't it amazing that when Thaiday is used wide he provides massive impact? Parker played well, but he still can be quite soft in attack. I really don't think he has the ability to break the line.

Our outside backs were great, and I am pissed that Hunt is now starting to have his best games of the year now that he is leaving.

Josh McGuire is a gun and if he leaves it would be one of the biggest tragedies that the Broncos would ever committ. As for Folau, where is Glenn now? Is Glenn on the bench or run on? If on the bench, then maybe reconsider Yow Yeh, which would be a real shame considering his current form, but leaving Folau out would be a bit stupid.

As for the game next week, there is no reason we can't win. As Wayne Pearce said yesterday about St George on Fox, they have not been properly tested this year, they haven't really been put under any sort of pressure, and as the Raiders can prove (a team not in the 8), they are not infallible.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Glenn has played left centre the last two rounds. Folau being a right side player won't just take his spot.

And nobody start the whole "Who cares about left vs right" debate, it's a fact that's how he, Hodges and co are at the Broncos.

E

Emma

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Read an article the other day quoting T'eo saying that Sam Thaiday had recently made a video for everyone with all their mistakes in it from throughout the year and that had fired him up. If that's the case, Sammy needs to make one of those videos every week!

Parker was annoying the crappers out of me for the first 20 or so with some insipid sideways runs, but he showed what he is truly capable of for the rest of the game with some great, hard, straight up the guts runs. I can only hope he realises how much more effective that is! Great effort with his goal kicking as well, but it has bemused me for a while that if he has 4 attempts, he can kick 1 or 2, yet give him 10 attempts and he barely misses! Sims has been sensational, it is hard to believe it's the same guy running around out there. He looks like he's shed a bit of weight and bulked up a bit which has obviously helped. I'm really pleased Alex Glenn has been sured up for a few years, he is showing a lot of signs that he could truly be a very impressive footballer, as does McGuire.Would hate to be the last line of defence with him running towards you, hard to believe he's as young as he is. It's hard to find fault with any of them after racking up 58 points!

If they can sort out the opening minutes of their games, there's no reason they can't make the finals and trouble some sides. They just don't seem to come out of the blocks firing, which they can get away with against teams like the sharks and panthers, but it'll be a different story against the top teams. Get that right, and they just might be in with a chance yet.

B

bronco_babe77

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Was so happy with that 2nd half performance. Haven't seen them play like that for a long long time. The passion they showed was refreshing change and the fact that they scored after the fulltime siren is more of thje Broncos of old.

Annoyed though that it's taken Henjak this long to realise that Yow Yeh should have been there for Michaels a long time ago.

Well done Broncos!!!

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well, Yow Yeh isn't really there for Michaels, he's there for the injured Folau.

Glenn is starting in place of Michaels. But yes, I take your point, bout time Henjak dumped the gumby ginger!

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Sims and Kenny are the key factors in our success I think. Before Kenny got injured, he was our best player this year. Sims has shown glimpses, and he started his Broncos career like a bat out of hell, and now he seems to have the desire to be a great forward. The way he charges on to the ball now, I haven't seen that in a Broncos forward since Webcke in his hey-day.

If they both fire, the other forwards start to fire too. When all the forwards are firing, the job gets so much easier for the backs, especially Lockyer.

Good to see that Bennetts ridiculous coaching of Thaiday appears to be almost completely out of his system.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
The second half was sensational. It was important we converted out opportunities as we've struggled to score points in recent weeks. Lockyer played his best game in ages. Great games from Sims, Kenny and Taylor (his hands are amazing).

But I still have major concerns with our goal line defence. Some of the tries we conceded in the first half were atrocious, particularly the Waterhouse try right on half time. There's no way we should be conceding soft tries like that. Our problem is that we don't move up in defence - we stand there and wait for the opposition to come to us. We're constantly on the back foot. Need to be more agressive.

Unlike Penrith, St George/Iillawarra will play the full 80 minutes next week so I hope it's our primary focus at training this week.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
How fricken awesome was that, I really felt the team lift when Teo came on and made that bone rattling tackle on Aiton. That really changed the momentum of the game.

Great to see the boys enjoying themselves, particularly loved seeing the boys on the bench cheering that last try.

Lockyer, God Bless him!!!

L

lyn

QCup Player
May 6, 2008
Anonymous person said:
Sims and Kenny are the key factors in our success I think. Before Kenny got injured, he was our best player this year. Sims has shown glimpses, and he started his Broncos career like a bat out of hell, and now he seems to have the desire to be a great forward. The way he charges on to the ball now, I haven't seen that in a Broncos forward since Webcke in his hey-day.

If they both fire, the other forwards start to fire too. When all the forwards are firing, the job gets so much easier for the backs, especially Lockyer.

Good to see that Bennetts ridiculous coaching of Thaiday appears to be almost completely out of his system.
Joel Clinton??

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Astro
  • Allo
  • Rambstien
  • Tim K
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.