Spring Racing

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Jeba said:
Viewed should have won - Brad's ride was a shocker. If he kept him just worse than midfield instead of letting go back to last, Bart wins his 13th cup. Simple. Viewed could've run another lap, plenty left in the tank.

That is a big call, I think the alleged stamping he copped on Saturday and apparently again today affected Viewed he didn't look nearly as sharp, the turn of foot wasn't as dramatic and I think the horse probably didn't respond when he dropped back rather than Brad choosing to do it.

Lots of things could have happened differently, Shocking could have snuck to the rail and been put to sleep and then got out and have heaps more juice in the tank. You just don't know. I also think Viewed's Caufield Cup win was a bit of a myth, sure he came home quick but he did no work and the sea parted for him. I also didn't like the idea of him running again on Saturday the horse will stay all day long it didn't need the extra run and all it did was cause him a possible injury.

All in all we saw a huge effort from a quality young stayer who is trained by a very talented trainer in Kavanagh.

D

Dave

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
The Gymp said:
I also didn't like the idea of him running again on Saturday the horse will stay all day long it didn't need the extra run and all it did was cause him a possible injury.

It's worked ok for Bart previously - he probably know best.

Shocking was enormous but they did crawl up front which helped him see the trip out while sitting 3 deep. Rawiller tried to be too cool on Viewed, probably conscious of his big weight, but he made a mistake sitting quiet while the others whipped around him. He should have got on the back of something going forward to get trucked into the race but he waited and waited and eventually got spat out the back. Viewed's effort to run 5th or 6th was magnificent.

Good on Corey Brown for getting a win after 2 second places and well done to the trainer - he really adds something to the carnivals and has a real knack for producing a good horse.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
i think 11 of his 12 cup winners have run on Derby Day.

Echoing Jebs sentiments it was a terrible ride on Viewed. No idea how he ended up from a perfect position to pretty much last at the turn, effectively ending any chance he had of being in the finish. He was about 5L off Shocking then and finished about that off him too. Nothing more frustrating in races than seeing favorites not being given a chance. You'd rather they do a bit of extra work and be given a crack at the finish.

All credit to Shocking however, that's one of the best Melbourne Cup wins i can remember. 3 wide with no cover pretty much the entire trip! Not to mention Brown had to put the whip away and re balance him a cpl of times in the straight. Unbelievable.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
BTW talk about one of the biggest form reversals you ever did see... talking from my kick is She's in the Guide getting rolled by this donkey!

Morcombe Career:29-7-3-0 $49050
Last start 9 of 9 15L GYMP 24Oct09 850 Good HCP

Beachy

Beachy

QCup Player
Mar 6, 2008
The favourite was slaughtered by Vicky Schubert though. She'd be great in an abattoir

BroncoMatt

BroncoMatt

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah wasn't a great ride Ms V. Schubert.

I seen an interesting stat the other day too - Baldwin's horses which are 1st up and are under 10-1 only win 8% of the time..

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Mind you, Shes in the guide should be able to sit 5 wide on the speed after missing the kick by 10L and still beat that plodder.

Just read that Viewed nearly fell at the top of the straight, i guess that explains why he ended up so far back.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
m1c said:
BTW talk about one of the biggest form reversals you ever did see... talking from my kick is She's in the Guide getting rolled by this donkey!

Morcombe Career:29-7-3-0 $49050
Last start 9 of 9 15L GYMP 24Oct09 850 Good HCP

Where was the tip Gymp? [icon_lol1.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Damn! I wish I knew about it, our local races are pretty dodgy all 850m or 1150m and the same horses pretty much win meet after meet.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Just got first leg of my Emirates day double through. All Silent with a massive late run to storm from last to first in the final 200m, that horse is a top class sprinter. Now I need So You Think to bring it home in the big one!

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Unlucky, Gymp. Geeze the Emirates has been throwing some roughies up the last few years.

All Silent is easily my favorite horse in Aus. I figured him unbeatable on a good track over a mile, wasn't sure he could match it with the top sprinters... boy, did he ever.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
That horse has so much talent it isn't funny, that turn of foot was frightening. The Flemington straight is what did So You Think in, a horse needs to be an absolute star to win post to post at Flemington (Might and Power) and So You Think is well on his way, that was a good effort to go within 50-100m of doing it as a 3 year old in a big race.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Despite winning the Cox Plate all the way in front, I don't think So You Think is a leader. He got away with easy sectionals in the Cox Plate, and IMO his most impressive runs have been from midfield. I think the best way to ride him would be just off the speed.

Absolutely ridiculous to think that All American could win a Group 1 race. Hopefully they'll do the punters a favour and just retire him to stud now.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
LOL! I agree nothing about So You Think makes me think he should be purely a front runner. Having him a couple back and away, has more than enough power to finish over the top and will only get better at it with time. Cox Plate ride was only necessary because he is so young and kept out of trouble coupled with the short straight.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
I think his last 2 front running efforts have been full of merit. Yesterdays run was HUGE when you consider he was carrying more than WFA and he hadn't even turned 3 yet! IMO if you want to be a champion you have to make your own luck out in front and prove you can do it yourself. Most of our best horses over the last 20 years have all been front runners, and I don't think its a coincidence. Whobegotyou will never stack up the results needed to be a champion because he relies too much on variables out of his control.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Exactly right Gymp, Bossy had no choice in the Cox Plate considering how well SYT jumped, but I am sure Bart will ensure he isn't just made to look one-dimensional. I thought his run yesterday was outstanding actually.

Active Now

• davidp
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Swordfish
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Howie
  • broncos4life
  • Shane Tronc
  • BRC088
  • BruiserMk1
  • Jedhead
  • Fatboy
  • levikaden
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.