Spring Racing

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
The spring is starting to hot up with a cracking weekend of racing coming up.

Most of the big guns are back, and this weekend we have the Epsom, Metrop and Spring Champ to look forward to, whilst in Melb there is the Turnbull, Baguette and Bart Cummings.

For mine, I'm already salivating at the the Caulfield Guineas.. Denman, Trusting, So You Think, Manhattan Rain and Demerit.... not to mention Phelan Ready, Onemorenomore and Carrara.

Who is everyone tipping for the feature races? Have you got a horse to watch?

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Trusting is the one I've had big wraps on since the start of the Spring (as you can see from my avatar!) I have backed him to win the Cox Plate at 40-1 and I am very comfortable with that bet. The Caulfield Guineas is going to be outstanding, geez we've got some good 3yo's at the moment.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Geeze Snowden has some massive wraps on his two in Denman and Demerit, but I'm with you on Trusting. I think he is the pick of them - his run on the weekend was massive when second - though unfortunately due to his style of racing i think he'll probably lose more than he wins against those that lot.

Honestly i think the male 3yos could dominate the spring.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Yes the 3yo's at the moment are the best crop we've had in a long time. One thing Trusting has in his favour is that he has proven that he can match it with the boys when he won the Warwick Stakes.

I'm actually off to the Derby-Cup-Oaks treble this year for the first time which = _woohoo_

In the Spring Champion this weekend I think So You Think is a fantastic chance at $7.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Patinack Farm were talking about Onemorenomore as a Cox Plate chance before he even went to the paddock after the autumn, and he looks the one to beat after his third against the big boys on the weekend. He and So You Think are probably the best horses in the race, however that price suggests he is probably Guineas bound and skipping this?

Am a big fan of Viking Legend from the Waterhouse camp, think he will just get better the more ground he covers. May need another spell or two before you see the best of him though.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I am hesitant about backing Onemorenomore as he's had 2 gutbusters his last 2 starts, especially the first one when he had 60kg and the ride did him no favours.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Haven't seen any racing yet but is Whobegotyou back this Spring. I rode that beuatiful horse all the way to the bank a few times last Spring and knew they were looking at the Cox Plate this year but haven't been paying attention.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
He is currently the favourite for the Cox Plate. He's been racing well but at the moment there is the slight query on him getting the 2000m. Moonee Valley will help though.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
I think he gets the 2000 no problems and IMO he probably takes all before him if he is ridden a little more forward. I think the odds that have been on offer for him are ridiculous considering the luck he needs given how far back he gets.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I won't bet on him if they ride like he was last year, just like I refused to bet on Lonrho at Moonee Valley you just can't win the Cox Plate from the back half of the field.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
He's a worthy favorite as he has been outstanding this prep, however he is just too skinny for me to touch him for now. Besides WBGY my favorites would be the old champ El Segundo and Black Piranha, who just keeps improving whatever they throw at him. A little something E/W on Zipping wouldn't go astray either. I think i read somewhere he's set for this and not the Cup, if that's the case he's definitely well over the odds at $31

Beachy

Beachy

QCup Player
Mar 6, 2008
Have backed Irish Lights @ $4.20 to win the 1000 Guineas as I think it's overs considering More Joyous is unlikely to run. Irish Lights would probably beat her anyway - outstanding filly she is

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
I've jumped on her as well at the price Beachy. I think it is fantastic with - as you say - More Joyous not heading down. Both of them seem to be leagues above the other 3yo fillies in their respective cities. I think More Joyous is pretty special though, I've got her pegged as number 1.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
On Saturday the Flight stakes at Randwick holds some personal interest. Have followed Little Surfer Girl all through this campaign from the midweeks, and with many unlucky seconds she finally lived upto her potential with a win in top company last weekend. The short turnaround is a concern, as shes been a very busy filly the last few months. However Beadman hops on and a crack at the Oaks awaits.

Will be playing the multiples with More Joyous on top of Little Surfer Girl.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I love Little Surfer Girl.

As predicted by m1c earlier in this thread, So You Think is heading to Melbourne which will make the Guineas even more outstanding.

Beachy - do you reckon Irish Lights can run out 2500? I am tempted to back her in the Oaks in a few doubles.

Beachy

Beachy

QCup Player
Mar 6, 2008
Mate I don't know if it necessarily matters. Miss Finland and Samantha Miss both won the Oaks and I'm convinced it wasn't an ideal trip for either one - they were just both clearly so far better than the other fillies that year it wasn't funny. Irish Lights may not be as good as either of those 2, but she looks easily superior to the other fillies I've seen go round so far.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Yeah agreed, there isn't normally much staying depth with the 3yo fillies and a race such as the oaks is often won by a horse unsuited to the trip but with just too much class.

On a side note, can't believe Little Surfer Girl has opened at $17 for Saturday, with Sister Madly, the horse she IMO convincingly beat on the weekend at $9 in the market? More Joyous will towel this lot, but LSG is definitely one for the multiples.

In fact the $3.65 currently on offer for both Onemorenomore and More Joyous saluting looks pretty good to me.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Horseheadsup
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.