SPOILER The dynasty begins: The Brisbane Broncos are winning the 2024 NRL Premiership

Broncosarethebest

Broncosarethebest

NYC Player
Sep 3, 2022
Nice optimism. Good on you. I'm sulking.... putrid defence. Dont deserve to be in the top 8 :(
Before the final whistle I just punched the **** out of the heavy bag and boxing dummy for a bit and made me feel better. I came to this thread for the positive vibes lol. Completely agree with you defence was trash, like I said I hope this is the game that Kevvie highlights for the rest of the season to turn it around

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Heading into the origin period I thought I'd take a look at how we're travelling this year compared to the same time last year

Record: 8-4 (F/A +77)
For: 286 (23.8 pg)
Against: 209 (17.4 pg)
Home record: 3-3
Away record: 5-1

Record: 7-5 (F/A +57)
For: 311 (25.9 pg)
Against: 254 (21.2 pg)
Home record: 4-2
Away record: 3-3

If we won today we would've been on the same record as last year heading into the origin period... our attack this year has been better and our defence about 4 pt worse off... we've also had the same amount of home and away games as this point last year, but the form has basically swapped.

This time last year we were about to pull off the underdog victory against warriors over in NZ and then beat sharks in Sydney backing up from origin 1. It looks like the NZ win was a real turning point for the season, as we had lost 3 of the last 4 leading up to it, but only lost 2 other games from then on... the dreadful loss to titans and then the last round reserve grade game to the storm.

So even though the start to this year has felt horrendous on a lot of fronts we're basically in the same spot as last year heading into the origin period.

Hopefully the loss today was a wake up call to turn the season around.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Heading into the origin period I thought I'd take a look at how we're travelling this year compared to the same time last year

Record: 8-4 (F/A +77)
For: 286 (23.8 pg)
Against: 209 (17.4 pg)
Home record: 3-3
Away record: 5-1

Record: 7-5 (F/A +57)
For: 311 (25.9 pg)
Against: 254 (21.2 pg)
Home record: 4-2
Away record: 3-3

If we won today we would've been on the same record as last year heading into the origin period... our attack this year has been better and our defence about 4 pt worse off... we've also had the same amount of home and away games as this point last year, but the form has basically swapped.

This time last year we were about to pull off the underdog victory against warriors over in NZ and then beat sharks in Sydney backing up from origin 1. It looks like the NZ win was a real turning point for the season, as we had lost 3 of the last 4 leading up to it, but only lost 2 other games from then on... the dreadful loss to titans and then the last round reserve grade game to the storm.

So even though the start to this year has felt horrendous on a lot of fronts we're basically in the same spot as last year heading into the origin period.

Hopefully the loss today was a wake up call to turn the season around.

The other big difference though this year is that we are so banged up, we weren't last year. Our depth is non-existent this year with so many injuries.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The other big difference though this year is that we are so banged up, we weren't last year. Our depth is non-existent this year with so many injuries.

that's one way to look at it.

the other way is that our depth players are getting minutes into their legs that they didn't get at this level last year. it will be handy if we have to call on them in the finals.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I'm only thinking that we're 1 win off last year despite the horrendous injury run... so we can't be going that much worse than what we were last year when we had a pretty blessed run with injuries.

We need troops back for sure though, but with byes in R13 and R16 I think we've basically got 2 more games before at least Sailor and Arthars are back??

So that's Sharks at home and Souths away... souths are potentially still going to be banged up by then and sharks have basically no injuries, but potentially they don't have Nicho backing up with his calf so that would help us.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
An old metric for how the Broncos were tracking this time of year was our origin representation. Even in recent times we had Walsh, Cobbo, Staggs, Capewell, Flegler, Patty and Haas - 7 out for Origin, this year it's 4. Staggs while injured was very unlikely to get picked anyway.

Cobbo sneaks into the 17 and could be called to defend in the middle of the park which is concerning. Walsh basically Bradbury'd the position over KP. I'd say Slater will be good for Walsh - but he should be feeling pretty lucky to be there given his recent consistency issues.

I've started losing the faith this year. Our defense is woeful - last year we would bounce back attacking set after set. We crack more often than not now. Unless we can start bringing the points conceded per game to back under 18/match, I don't see us putting up any real challenge this year. Exciting attack against a good defensive team like Panthers equals a loss pretty much every day of the week if you can't back it up with high quality defense to cover for your errors chancing your hand every set.

Unless the team radically sparks during/post origin, we scrape into the 8 and bounce in the first week.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
We were pretty up and down before Origin last year too, including defence. It wasn't until after Origin where we went next level.

Yesterday was ordinary but it's not the end of the world. The big difference between the two years is the injury toll. We had a settled side for most of the year especially leading into the finals. To be only one win off last year at the same point with our injuries is pretty good to be honest. The thing that is hurting out defence is the different edge combos we have been forced to run with. Getting that right needs to be a big focus for the remainder of the season.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Well the Sharks and Panthers both losing this week helps (although it would have been ever better if we had beat the Titans). It's too bad that the Roosters are going to destroy the Cowboys tomorrow...

Can't let the top 2 get too far ahead of us.

Edit: And the Dolphins lose too 😀

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
in the grand scheme of things the top 2 mean SFA
Yea but I'm thinking of coming up to Brisbane for a game - home preliminary final off a break would be nice :)

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Wow - best weekend of results we could have got! Tied for 4th!
Yeah, seems upsets pretty much all round helped us out. We'll, except for Dolphins, they have had a soft AF draw so far.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Has any team lost to the deadshit Titans and gone on to win the premiership in recent memory?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Has any team lost to the deadshit Titans and gone on to win the premiership in recent memory?

they only stopping that happening was an all-time great 20 minute period from Cleary

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.