NEWS Staggs eyeing one last ride with Herbie

BHQArticleImageKotoniStaggs2L

Kotoni Staggs is hopeful he'll get one last game with Dolphins-bound centre partner Herbie Farnworth this Sunday, despite a hamstring scare at training this week.

Farnworth failed to finish Tuesday's training in Brisbane, ahead of the squad heading to Sydney for their first NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final appearance since 2015.

But Staggs was doing his best to downplay the issue after the session and instead heaped praise on his centre partner who has been in career-best form through 2023.

The pair have a combined 28 tries between them this season, including a double for Farnworth in last week's 42-12 win over the Warriors.

"I didn't even see (any issue) actually... I did see he wasn't in the last drill, but I couldn't tell you right now," Staggs said when asked about Farnworth.

“He showed everyone last week what he can do when he's fit and ready.

“He's probably one of the best centres in the comp at the moment and from all the hard work he does, he deserves all the credit he can get.

“We’re different players at the end of the day and he can do stuff I can't do and I can do stuff he can't do.

"When he does something good on the field, I want to match what he does and it's good to have a centre like that your team.”

The pair have also swapped sides at times during games this season, a tactic which could come into use against the physical centre pairing of Stephen Crichton and Izack Tago on Sunday.

“He comes over [to my side] and has a run and I am just helping him out and trying to save his lungs, so I go over there and fill in for a little bit for him," Staggs said.

“It's just something that we've worked on at training and if he comes over our side, I just don't want to make him run all the way over there, so I help him out.”

Staggs will run out for his 100th game on grand final day, with the Wellington Cowboys junior this week reflecting on what has been an up-and-down first six seasons in the NRL.

“There's a few players that have been through the lows here ... and [those times are] always in the back of your mind; you're not going to forget about them, but you just can move forward and play good footy," Staggs said.

“That's what this club is about, playing good footy, and we have got a bunch of boys here now that can make a statement and then move forward here.”

As well as Farnworth, the Broncos will have Origin forward Thomas Flegler depart at the end of the season, joining Farnworth at the Dolphins, while Keenan Palasia will link up with the Titans.

NRL.com

Palasia going to the Tits? Didn’t know that
yeah signed early in the season, it's a shame because he has really kicked on as a ball playing lock off the bench for us.

I'll be surprised if he isn't the starting 13 for them next year.

Bugger. That one slipped past me.

Anyway, trust in Kev.

Bugger. That one slipped past me.

Anyway, trust in Kev.
We got two young talents coming through with Willison which you probably have seen but Te Kura is the real one to watch, the guy makes NAS look like a small human.

We got two young talents coming through with Willison which you probably have been but Te Kura is the real one to watch, the guy makes NAS look like a small human.
This is why I'm not really concerned losing flegs and palasia. Got good boys coming through.

Herbie is a far, far greater loss. Maybe even more than both of them combined imo. Arguably the #1 centre in the game right now. I know Mariner will probs slot in and we will shuffle guys around..but for now whatever we do is a massive downgrade in regards to his position.

This is why I'm not really concerned losing flegs and palasia. Got good boys coming through.

Herbie is a far, far greater loss. Maybe even more than both of them combined imo. Arguably the #1 centre in the game right now. I know Mariner will probs slot in and we will shuffle guys around..but for now whatever we do is a massive downgrade in regards to his position.
Te kura Imo is the best young middle to come into the game since Haas, he hasn't got the athleticism of Haas but he is just a giant human that the game will struggle to contain, as he builds more muscle to fill out his frame he will be atleast 130kg with some speed given he is a 205cm monster, plus him and Mozer have already grown a very good partnership already at Souths Logan.

The scary thing is our new boys will be training around the best of the game, Willison himself makes Haas look small, Te kura makes Haas look like Walsh, if they pick up the habits from Haas and Patty we will dominate all.

Yeah I’ve been happy with what I’ve seen from Willison this season, he never looked out of place at this level

Good to know te kura is rated highly too.

Agree about Herbs. He’s been world class for me this second part of the season

The key for fans though will be to give Willison and Te Kura and Mariner time to learn consistency.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • cento
  • Footy Fanatic
  • achievedrap
  • Lozza
  • Hurrijo
  • Painin the Haas
  • Sproj
  • PETERN
  • KateBroncos1812
  • lynx000
  • mystico
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.