Stat to Fix: Broncos need to give Oates some help

In terms of his fullback play, I don't see a thing he has added, but like I said, will be interest g to see him under Seibold. He played, fullback for us like he did for Souths though. His game is perfectly suited to where he is now imo.
I understand that’s your opinion, and you’re entitled to it, I just think you may be missing the point.

You are comparing Isaako of 2017 playing fullback in the ISC with Isaako of 2018 playing wing in the NRL, notwithstanding 4 (I think?) games of NRL at fullback.

Outside of those 4 games, how could he possibly demonstrate fullback play from the wing? What specific skills would you hope to see from a bloke playing on the right wing in his first season of the NRL to tell you he was capable of making the transition?

FTR, I’m not saying I think he’ll be a standout or a failure at fullback. I am saying we cannot possibly know without him being given the chance to prosper or perish in the role.

Interestingly though, Bennett seemed to think he was good enough to make the position his own once Boyd retired, so he must have seen something in him.

I understand that’s your opinion, and you’re entitled to it, I just think you may be missing the point.

You are comparing Isaako of 2017 playing fullback in the ISC with Isaako of 2018 playing wing in the NRL, notwithstanding 4 (I think?) games of NRL at fullback.

Outside of those 4 games, how could he possibly demonstrate fullback play from the wing? What specific skills would you hope to see from a bloke playing on the right wing in his first season of the NRL to tell you he was capable of making the transition?

FTR, I’m not saying I think he’ll be a standout or a failure at fullback. I am saying we cannot possibly know without him being given the chance to prosper or perish in the role.

Interestingly though, Bennett seemed to think he was good enough to make the position his own once Boyd retired, so he must have seen something in him.

I get your point, but even on the wing I'd have expected to see some little extra additions to his game and I just haven't seen any.

Deserves a go imo. Unless we bring someone else in, he’s next in line. That end to the Roosters game hinted at a special player on our hands. Needs to work on his game under Boyd, learn what he has to offer, which is plenty, and he will get his shot.

I get your point, but even on the wing I'd have expected to see some little extra additions to his game and I just haven't seen any.
Can you please tell me what those extras are?

That’s a genuine question too, not a shot at you.

Last edited:
I'm not going to argue the ball playing ability, although I think both Slater and RTS had more to start with, but please... you cannot compare any of those players best feature (running game) to Isaako's, who is a strong runner, but really doesn't compare to any of those guys imo.
He's a great winger and a fantastic GK, but I'm really not sure he'll ever be more than that...
His mesmerising step that put Cronk the wrong way completely when scoring the golden point try and his sheer, almost Zen-like dedication to improving his goal kicking suggest to me that he may have heaps more to offer in the coming season?

Last edited:
What I am saying is that it’s far too early to claim that Isaako won’t make it as a fullback in the NRL.

I am substantiating that by using those players development as examples of how players develop skills over time that they previously didn’t have.

First year Slater and final year Slater were worlds apart, particularly in his consistency.

It is literally impossible to know how good of an NRL fullback Isaako will be without seeing him play the position for more than a handful of games.

And as an aside; Cooper Cronk’s ankles would argue that Isaako has a pretty handy step on him and not just a power running game.
I don't think you can teach the type of running game guys like Slater, RTS or even Tedesco have, and despite his step on Cronk, I don't believe Jamayne has anything remotely close to their speed and evasiveness combination.

That said, we're talking about the "créme de lá créme" of Fullbacks here. It doesn't mean Isaako can't become a good fullback in the mould of Boyd for example.

Can you please tell me what those extras are?

That’s a genuine question too, not a shot at you.

No worries. I dont see him with any real awareness of whats going on around him a lot of the time. Still dont see any signs of him having a pass in him. His general kicking game is something i dont think we will see much of until he gets to fullback, but on the occasions he played fullback he had the chance to kick he didnt do it. In all the games i saw him play at Souths, at a lower level than NRL he still didnt have any creativity in his game. Even though that was in 2017, you would expect to see signs of it and i never have. I just think he is a bit of a Josh Hoffman who can kick goals. At NRL level right now, his play just suits wing for me.

In his games at fullback for us all i saw was him generally catching well and running the ball back strongly. He didnt organise, his defence was no more than ok and he didnt really chime in with the attack. I think its up to our coaches now to develop him as a fullback as much as a winger. If Boyd goes down, he needs to show he can offer more than he did last year at fullback.

His mesmerising step that put Cronk the wrong way completely when scoring the golden point try and his sheer, almost Zen-like dedication to improving his goal kicking suggest to me that he may have heaps more to offer in the coming season?

I think that shows how good he is when he plays on instinct. HE is a key player for us right now as a winger.

No worries. I dont see him with any real awareness of whats going on around him a lot of the time. Still dont see any signs of him having a pass in him. His general kicking game is something i dont think we will see much of until he gets to fullback, but on the occasions he played fullback he had the chance to kick he didnt do it. In all the games i saw him play at Souths, at a lower level than NRL he still didnt have any creativity in his game. Even though that was in 2017, you would expect to see signs of it and i never have. I just think he is a bit of a Josh Hoffman who can kick goals. At NRL level right now, his play just suits wing for me.

In his games at fullback for us all i saw was him generally catching well and running the ball back strongly. He didnt organise, his defence was no more than ok and he didnt really chime in with the attack. I think its up to our coaches now to develop him as a fullback as much as a winger. If Boyd goes down, he needs to show he can offer more than he did last year at fullback.
All I want to say to this is; boy I hope you’re wrong with the Josh Hoffman likeness.

I couldn’t handle another one :nusenuse:

I don't think you can teach the type of running game guys like Slater, RTS or even Tedesco have, and despite his step on Cronk, I don't believe Jamayne has anything remotely close to their speed and evasiveness combination.

That said, we're talking about the "créme de lá créme" of Fullbacks here. It doesn't mean Isaako can't become a good fullback in the mould of Boyd for example.

That's rather underselling Boyd to be honest. When Slater was injured and Boyd played as the Qld and Australian fullback he was excellent. The work that he puts in off the ball, the playmaking, to call him merely good is a bit short.

All I want to say to this is; boy I hope you’re wrong with the Josh Hoffman likeness.

So far isaako seems like a new model of josh Hoffman. It’s comes with bigger muscles, goal kicking and the same willingness to run. Passing and game awareness still pending.

That's rather underselling Boyd to be honest. When Slater was injured and Boyd played as the Qld and Australian fullback he was excellent. The work that he puts in off the ball, the playmaking, to call him merely good is a bit short.
Disclaimer: I've never been a fan of Boyd as Fullback. I don't think he excels in any aspect, except perhaps organising the defense and executing the sweep play in attack.
His desperation has always disappointed me in defense, his running game is pretty average, high balls aren't his strong point either, and he is one of the worst fullbacks sniffing around the ruck for lost balls or offloads.

I will recognise he had two career years where he was indeed excellent (2010, 2016), but even then, I wouldn't put him near the truly great.

Let's not forget that Boyd (despite being very good in 2016), almost gained the rep jersey with the no. 1 by default, as Slater was not the only player vying for the position who was injured or unavailable. Inglis, Tedesco, and even Tommy Turbo were all unavailable as well (I'm almost sure I am forgetting someone else), who I would rank above him at the time.

That said, I probably regard Good higher than you do when it comes to players in the NRL. ;-)

Josh we pretty good as a winger tbf. HE just left to be a fullback. Didnt exactly work out!

The Hoffman comparisons are pretty apt, let's hope Isaako can add something new.

Isaako has a better attitude and work ethic for a start.

I dont think Hoffman ever had a problem with his work ethic or attitude tbh. He just had a desire to be a fullback and he got the shits we wouldnt let him be ours.

I dont think Hoffman ever had a problem with his work ethic or attitude tbh. He just had a desire to be a fullback and he got the shits we wouldnt let him be ours.
That sounds like a poor attitude to me tbf.. I always laugh when players leave teams to play in the favourite position 99/100 they leave, get a few weeks opportunity in the spot, original club gets proven right, player goes back to other position but career drops off massively..

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • mrtij
  • BroncosAlways
  • Tim K
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • cento
  • Broncojim
  • Astro
  • Manlyman
  • broncs30
  • Redux
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.