Stat to Fix: Broncos need to give Oates some help

That sounds like a poor attitude to me tbf.. I always laugh when players leave teams to play in the favourite position 99/100 they leave, get a few weeks opportunity in the spot, original club gets proven right, player goes back to other position but career drops off massively..

In respect of not doing what's best for the team I'd agree about attitude, but in terms of how he trained and his effort in general I wouldn't have any issue with him. He rolled the dice leaving for a fullback gig and It certainly backfired on him. He would have had an excellent career with us as a winger.

Last edited:
You can probably blame Griffin for it. Another coach would have told Hoffman that you need to ball play to be a fullback these days, but Griffindor does the opposite and puts him in the halves instead. Brilliant move.

I think Isaako is a big bodied speedster. If he is a big bodied speedster who can ball play then he can be a fullback. Ultimately I don't know if he has the ballplaying skills or not. Maybe a speedster halves style player is better suited these days. Tannah Boyd?or potentially if we nabbed Drinkwater in the future

You say this, but I feel Isaako has potential to offer just as much as Boyd in this department, and more in others. Boyd provided 8 try assists and only 5 tries in 2018 from 25 games. He hardly set the world alight with his play making ability. Similarly, he was notoriously poor with kick returns, and defusing grubbers close to the line. Our biggest win of the season came with Isaako at fullback, this isn't to say he was the primary cause for this or anything, but it does show that we can score points with him at fullback.

The fact that Seibold played Alex Johnston at fullback over Greg Inglis also indicates he isn't afraid to play a running fullback. Honestly if Boyd played in 2019 like he did in 2018 I think Seibold would drop him. He simply didn't deserve to be on the team. Whether he was injured or not, he should not have been there and some of his performances were completely abysmal on both performance and effort. That isn't something that is acceptable by a 30 year old international who is also the captain.
Or the fact that your fullback needs to run. And a lot. Which is why Inglis was moved. Inglis has far better impact as a centre then fb

No worries. I dont see him with any real awareness of whats going on around him a lot of the time. Still dont see any signs of him having a pass in him. His general kicking game is something i dont think we will see much of until he gets to fullback, but on the occasions he played fullback he had the chance to kick he didnt do it. In all the games i saw him play at Souths, at a lower level than NRL he still didnt have any creativity in his game. Even though that was in 2017, you would expect to see signs of it and i never have. I just think he is a bit of a Josh Hoffman who can kick goals. At NRL level right now, his play just suits wing for me.

In his games at fullback for us all i saw was him generally catching well and running the ball back strongly. He didnt organise, his defence was no more than ok and he didnt really chime in with the attack. I think its up to our coaches now to develop him as a fullback as much as a winger. If Boyd goes down, he needs to show he can offer more than he did last year at fullback.
Tell that to the fox and how they use his kicking game from wing. I really love that play and don't understand how more teams aren't clued onto how well that works. Wingers kicking back in field off a line break is actually so easy to score off. All players chase the ball runner and fight defend the open space

Oates kicked a cracker to Boyd during Boyd’s run in the centres. Agree it’s an underused move but that’s probably why it’s effective. I actually feel pretty bad for Kahu at the moment. He is a good defensive fullback, an excellent winger who can kick goals and can’t find a place in the starting 17. Bodes well for our depth but I can’t imagine he ever saw himself as a depth player. Was the NZ fullback for a while there.

Oates kicked a cracker to Boyd during Boyd’s run in the centres. Agree it’s an underused move but that’s probably why it’s effective. I actually feel pretty bad for Kahu at the moment. He is a good defensive fullback, an excellent winger who can kick goals and can’t find a place in the starting 17. Bodes well for our depth but I can’t imagine he ever saw himself as a depth player. Was the NZ fullback for a while there.

That happened during a break, with skittled defence. It’s a rare tactic during normal play, but quite common for wingers or centres to kick when a break has been made and the defence has numbered up. Also, it was the last tackle, so taking the tackle was not an option.

That happened during a break, with skittled defence. It’s a rare tactic during normal play, but quite common for wingers or centres to kick when a break has been made and the defence has numbered up. Also, it was the last tackle, so taking the tackle was not an option.
Yep was a desperation play when their blood was up. Was a great kick though from the big fella travelling at pace.

Unread

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.