State of Origin 2022

That's not enough to get a spot in origin unless we have bulk injuries.

His form around origin time last year was easily good enough. Better to play a genuine centre imo rather than back rowers and wingers like Holmes or Capewell for example as we did last year with, Capwell wasnt great in those first 2 games. They are ok as a stop gap, but in a side that's not as strong as the opposition you need players who know their job and roles inside out.

His form around origin time last year was easily good enough. Better to play a genuine centre imo rather than back rowers and wingers like Holmes or Capewell for example as we did last year with, Capwell wasnt great in those first 2 games. They are ok as a stop gap, but in a side that's not as strong as the opposition you need players who know their job and roles inside out.
Yeah I'm taking Holmes over Opacic every day of the week.

Opacic on his good day is a decent NRL centre, nothing more.

Yeah I'm taking Holmes over Opacic every day of the week.

Opacic on his good day is a decent NRL centre, nothing more.

Holmes is a failed fullback and elite winger. Not a center. I think i'll back my judgement over the bloke who said Turpin was top tier and going to be pushing Grant for a QLD and Australia shirt 😄

Holmes is a failed fullback and elite winger. Not a center. I think i'll back my judgement over the bloke who said Turpin was top tier and going to be pushing Grant for a QLD and Australia shirt 😄
Ah back to that old one. Easy way to back out of an argument, bring up something from a couple a years ago I said I got very wrong.

I also said Warner wouldn't be a good test batsmen when he debuted in T20, just in case you want to not discuss cricket in the future.

Ah back to that old one. Easy way to back out of an argument, bring up something from a couple a years ago I said I got very wrong.

I also said Warner wouldn't be a good test batsmen when he debuted in T20, just in case you want to not discuss cricket in the future.

I dont watch cricket. Its a stupid as golf.

I'm not backing out of anything either. Just pointing out your rather sketchy history of player judgement. You have to admit, it was embarrassingly bad.

I dont watch cricket. Its a stupid as golf.

I'm not backing out of anything either. Just pointing out your rather sketchy history of player judgement. You have to admit, it was embarrassingly bad.
I've admitted it was bad, several times. You have to admit, using that as a reason to avoid discussing Holmes Vs Opacic is embarrassing. Which is why I asked earlier if you knew him personally, only way that considering Opacic for origin wouldn't be stupid. He wasn't even making the Eels side last year, and rightfully so. Bloke is bang average, just like Turpin.

I've admitted it was bad, several times. You have to admit, using that as a reason to avoid discussing Holmes Vs Opacic is embarrassing. Which is why I asked earlier if you knew him personally, only way that considering Opacic for origin wouldn't be stupid. He wasn't even making the Eels side last year, and rightfully so. Bloke is bang average, just like Turpin.

He didnt make the Eels side in 2021. But he played 21 games 🤷‍♂️

There's that quality rugby league knowledge again. Stick to cricket kid.

He didn't get dropped?

After 21 games, hardly him not making the side like you claimed. He had a rib cartilage injury which he was playing with for weeks and after a very tough time off the field, he needed a break. Its all out there for you to go and look up if you feel like it. Penisini came in, played well and kept his place. It happens and you cant complain when somebody comes in and takes their chance.

I think its funny i've never said he is a top level player, i've said he is just a decent NRL center who wouldnt let anyone down. You must have just made it up that somebody is saying he is something different. You though have contradicted yourself pretty much. On a different thread, you said, and i quote

"If I had to choose between 2 gun wingers with 2 average centres, compared to the other way around, I'm taking the gun wingers "

Val Holmes is a gun winger. Tom Opacic is probably in that average center class. Holmes has shown a little promise in the centers, but he's only looked good in one game against a woefully out of form Kotoni Staggs. I'm not saying he wont make a good center in time, but right now, he isnt that great at all.

After 21 games, hardly him not making the side like you claimed. He had a rib cartilage injury which he was playing with for weeks and after a very tough time off the field, he needed a break. Its all out there for you to go and look up if you feel like it. Penisini came in, played well and kept his place. It happens and you cant complain when somebody comes in and takes their chance.

I think its funny i've never said he is a top level player, i've said he is just a decent NRL center who wouldnt let anyone down. You must have just made it up that somebody is saying he is something different. You though have contradicted yourself pretty much. On a different thread, you said, and i quote

"If I had to choose between 2 gun wingers with 2 average centres, compared to the other way around, I'm taking the gun wingers "

Val Holmes is a gun winger. Tom Opacic is probably in that average center class. Holmes has shown a little promise in the centers, but he's only looked good in one game against a woefully out of form Kotoni Staggs. I'm not saying he wont make a good center in time, but right now, he isnt that great at all.
So in short, he got dropped. Cheers.

Your shit at the bottom makes sense, if I only had 2 options. I'd pick Holmes on the wing, and seeing he did well last year I'd stick with Hammer at centre. But nice try.

So in short, he got dropped. Cheers.

Your shit at the bottom makes sense, if I only had 2 options. I'd pick Holmes on the wing, and seeing he did well last year I'd stick with Hammer at centre. But nice try.

He was injured. Without that injury, he doesnt get dropped basically if everything off the field with him didnt happen.

I'd be perfectly happy leaving Hamiso in the centers as well tbh as he is the incumbent. But as i said, my preference is to play players where they are most comfortable.

Still doesnt change the fact you said " He wasn't even making the Eels side last year " which was clearly wasnt right. You just keep getting it wrong. You try to move the goalposts in your argument because of your lack of knowledge. First you say he wasnt making the side, then you change tack to say he got dropped because you got exposed. Just stick to saying you dont rate him and prefer other options. Its not a big deal. Some people will agree with you, others wont, but its a public forum for debate so you just have to accept other opinions even if you dont agree with them. Just get your facts right at least.

He was injured. Without that injury, he doesnt get dropped basically if everything off the field with him didnt happen.

I'd be perfectly happy leaving Hamiso in the centers as well tbh as he is the incumbent. But as i said, my preference is to play players where they are most comfortable.

Still doesnt change the fact you said " He wasn't even making the Eels side last year " which was clearly wasnt right. You just keep getting it wrong. You try to move the goalposts in your argument because of your lack of knowledge. First you say he wasnt making the side, then you change tack to say he got dropped because you got exposed. Just stick to saying you dont rate him and prefer other options. Its not a big deal. Some people will agree with you, others wont, but its a public forum for debate so you just have to accept other opinions even if you dont agree with them. Just get your facts right at least.
It was right, as you admitted. Everything I said is factual, you can try and sugar coat it as much as you like to defend him, but the fact is he wasn't picked.

I said he wasn't making the side. You came back with stating he played 21 games, so I asked if he wasn't dropped. Show me where I'm wrong.

It was right, as you admitted. Everything I said is factual, you can try and sugar coat it as much as you like to defend him, but the fact is he wasn't picked.

I said he wasn't making the side. You came back with stating he played 21 games, so I asked if he wasn't dropped. Show me where I'm wrong.

Are you dropped if you were injured? Isnt that enforced? Its not even defending him because how can you play if you arent fit enough to take the field? For example, are you telling me Tesi Niu has been dropped from the side or has he lost his place through injury. I think that shows you are wrong because being dropped through injury isnt the same as being dropped.

You are just arguing semantics because your original point about him not making the side just wasn't right. He played 21 out of 26 games. I'd say that easily proves he was making the side. As i said, if you dont rate him, nothing wrong with that, same as if you prefer other options. Just dont try and twist things because it makes you look like a bit of a goose. You have just got salty over the old Jake Turpin up there with Harry Grant episode. I get it. It its embarrassing

You can carry this on by yourself now. I've said what i need to. Just carry on twisting the story until you think you have achieved what you want.

He's always had reasonably decent games for QLD in the scheme of things

What does that mean......"in the scheme of things"

In the scheme of things...he's done **** all.

I've got my doubts on Ponga ever living up to the hype that surrounds him. We're so desperate to find the next Lockyer......we'll believe anything we try and tell ourselves.

He does not have the runs on the board IMHO.

Dunno....if I'm WB. I'm going all in on Milford and Munster......

What does that mean......"in the scheme of things"

In the scheme of things...he's done **** all.

I've got my doubts on Ponga ever living up to the hype that surrounds him. We're so desperate to find the next Lockyer......we'll believe anything we try and tell ourselves.

He does not have the runs on the board IMHO.

Dunno....if I'm WB. I'm going all in on Milford and Munster......

Well basically, in the few games he has played for QLD we havent been great as a side and i dont think he has been one of our worst.

In the NRL, i dont think he has done anywhere near enough to warrant big money. His level of consistency and his output just arent there. Totally agree as an NRL player, he doesnt have the runs on the board to deserve a huge contract at any club.

Are you dropped if you were injured? Isnt that enforced? Its not even defending him because how can you play if you arent fit enough to take the field? For example, are you telling me Tesi Niu has been dropped from the side or has he lost his place through injury. I think that shows you are wrong because being dropped through injury isnt the same as being dropped.

You are just arguing semantics because your original point about him not making the side just wasn't right. He played 21 out of 26 games. I'd say that easily proves he was making the side. As i said, if you dont rate him, nothing wrong with that, same as if you prefer other options. Just dont try and twist things because it makes you look like a bit of a goose. You have just got salty over the old Jake Turpin up there with Harry Grant episode. I get it. It its embarrassing

You can carry this on by yourself now. I've said what i need to. Just carry on twisting the story until you think you have achieved what you want.
If he is fit and not being selected, yes I'd consider that being dropped. You can word it however you like and add as much sugar as you need, the result is the same.

Why are you so emotional over this? All I said was Opacic wasn't origin standard, couldn't make the Eels side last year(Factually true as you even stated) and you're throwing around insults. Goes back to my original question, you must know the bloke personally.

Game 2 last year? He only played the last game.

He's always had reasonably decent games for QLD in the scheme of things ( and he's only played 4 or 5 iirc ). Trying to say he got outplayed in a game we were dominated in as well if you are talking about 2019 isnt really a good example. The whole team got outplayed.

Game 2, 2019.

We got dominated in that game because at that stage of the game when it was in the balance and both sides were in a grind trying to get over the top of their opponent, our big name players didn't stand up and he was one of them. In fact he barely touched the ball. We didn't capitalize on our opportunities and NSW did.

He had 20 receipts in that game and made less than 100 metres. Compare that to Holmes in Game 1, 2021 who had 40 receipts and made 146 metres. That was in a side that had 50 points put on them.

It highlights an issue with Ponga. He stands up when the side is getting over the top of NSW. But when the game is a struggle and we need our big name players to stand up and get involved and get us over the advantage line, he goes missing and doesn't get involved as much as he should.

Reasonably decent isn't good enough for Origin. Not for Ponga.

We won 2020 without him. We don't need him. In fact, I think not having Ponga there actually helped us win.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • mitch222
  • Wendall Taylor
  • johnny plath
  • HVbronco
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • phoenix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Wolfie
  • Big Del
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.