State of Origin 2022

Exactly. We shouldn't be picking blokes off a handful of decent games, when we have blokes who have been there and done it before. That's what NSW did for 10 years and it ruined them.

Brent Tate was picked for rep teams after like 7 games. Josh Hannay was picked from reserve grade. Alfie came from England. Carl Webb was like 5 half games (likely more in exaggerating). Nanai is good enough, I’d pick him ahead of Kaufusi who has looked out of place for the last three years.

Luki is a bigger chance than Nanai. He reminds me a lot of Gillo.

No no no no no. There is absolutely no need to rush Cobbo into Origin, he is barely ready for first grade. Shouldn't even be considered.
It's wing though, if it was fullback yeah that's a huge responsibility but at wing not at all, plus being around high level players can help him.

It's wing though, if it was fullback yeah that's a huge responsibility but at wing not at all, plus being around high level players can help him.
What kind of point is this?
Brent Tate was picked for rep teams after like 7 games. Josh Hannay was picked from reserve grade. Alfie came from England. Carl Webb was like 5 half games (likely more in exaggerating). Nanai is good enough, I’d pick him ahead of Kaufusi who has looked out of place for the last three years.
I don't understand why you added Alfie to the point you're trying to make. The fact Bennett went to England for Alfie, instead of picking someone with less experience, kinda goes against your point.

I'm not saying we shouldn't pick teenagers when they are the best in their position. Nanai isn't close to being our best backrower, and just like Cobbo, there is no point in rushing a young bloke in on potential. Let them earn it. I think Fermor has shown more consistently than Nanai/Luki also, so if we need another backrower, he'd be next in line for me.

I don't really like that Ponga seems nailed on. The kid has not been at all consistent in the last 12-18months and its not as if he has the runs on the board at origin level either. Part of me thinks he is just hyped because he's a posterboy and brings viewers. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure there is anything Walsh can do to get picked over Ponga if he is fit.

The other guy getting alot of media traction is Nanai. Just think it is too soon for him especially when there are proven options like Capewell and Arrow who need to be in the 17 anyway. I have not seen anything from Nanai to say he's better than either of those two and having an experienced player like Frizzell or Murray running at him would be a problem for QLD, imo.

Both Gagai and Val have had sensational starts to the season in the centres. No reason to move either of them. I would probably go Oates over Sami, purely for size. If To'o is back and JAC is there, NSW wings could be exploited with some tall timber.

I don't understand why you added Alfie to the point you're trying to make. The fact Bennett went to England for Alfie, instead of picking someone with less experience, kinda goes against your point.

I'm not saying we shouldn't pick teenagers when they are the best in their position. Nanai isn't close to being our best backrower, and just like Cobbo, there is no point in rushing a young bloke in on potential. Let them earn it. I think Fermor has shown more consistently than Nanai/Luki also, so if we need another backrower, he'd be next in line for me.
Agree with you here, Although if QLD want to change the tide at what point to they just say **** it and move on from the likes of Kafusi, Papali even DCE. The Blues actually adopted a good selction policy since fitler has stepped in and i think its something Slater should think about, picking players who are playing well currently in the NRL. I remember everyone tunred their noses up about all of NSW debuts in 2018 but they won.

I would be picking,

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Hamiso
4. Gaiga
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Foutiaka
9. Grant
10. Papali
11. Capewell
12. Sua
13. Tino

14. Hunt
15. Cotter
16. Collins
17. Arrow

18. Nanai
19. Carrigan
20. Walker
21. Flegler

Slater wont pick on reputation i dont believe coming from a system like the Storm. He will pick players he thinks will get the job done no matter what their reputation is.

I don't really like that Ponga seems nailed on. The kid has not been at all consistent in the last 12-18months and its not as if he has the runs on the board at origin level either. Part of me thinks he is just hyped because he's a posterboy and brings viewers. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure there is anything Walsh can do to get picked over Ponga if he is fit.
I think Ponga gets comfortable. And I think there would be a lot of motivation to play well for Billy Slater and that might push Ponga to really stand up. There will be a bit of ego wanting to play well for arguably the best QLD fullback of all time.

Agree with you here, Although if QLD want to change the tide at what point to they just say **** it and move on from the likes of Kafusi, Papali even DCE. The Blues actually adopted a good selction policy since fitler has stepped in and i think its something Slater should think about, picking players who are playing well currently in the NRL. I remember everyone tunred their noses up about all of NSW debuts in 2018 but they won.

I would be picking,

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Hamiso
4. Gaiga
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Foutiaka
9. Grant
10. Papali
11. Capewell
12. Sua
13. Tino

14. Hunt
15. Cotter
16. Collins
17. Arrow

18. Nanai
19. Carrigan
20. Walker
21. Flegler
No offence but not having Fifita in there is nuts, he's been playing well the last few weeks, and is one of QLD's biggest threats. Su'A is a hot head and just as likely to cost QLD the game by being sent off as he is of doing something useful, don't think his form warrants selection yet.

Hamiso has also been out injured for a few weeks now and even when he was fit he wasn't playing well. I am not quite sure how you can argue for him getting a spot based on the logic you used to start the post.

I love Carrigan but he can't be picked either if he's not playing. I do like the Cotter selection but that bench seems a bit light on paper.

No offence but not having Fifita in there is nuts, he's been playing well the last few weeks, and is one of QLD's biggest threats. Su'A is a hot head and just as likely to cost QLD the game by being sent off as he is of doing something useful, don't think his form warrants selection yet.

Hamiso has also been out injured for a few weeks now and even when he was fit he wasn't playing well. I am not quite sure how you can argue for him getting a spot based on the logic you used to start the post.

I love Carrigan but he can't be picked either if he's not playing. I do like the Cotter selection but that bench seems a bit light on paper.
Yer i dont disagree with fifita playing well the last couple weeks, but its only in moments. He rarely puts in a 80 minute performance in first grade so dont see how he does it in Origin. You are right i did flaw my own logic but i was more referring to players who have played plenty of origin now and coming to the end of their tenures. Hamiso was solid at Centre in game 3 and though i admittedly havent watch many cows games, he wasnt playing bad was he?

Fifita has to be in there somewhere. He's a super talent...

It's pretty simple, a role thats simple has less pressure then one that isn't, the reason young players get picked though and why it's useful is because they have the most room to grow as players, putting them in an environment like this can definitely help them push on, it's not exactly like QLD is teeming with quality in that position anyway, if we where I would understand.

I'm almost certain Coates will be picked though because we all know why: Tall/Fast Winger go brrr.

It's pretty simple, a role thats simple has less pressure then one that isn't, the reason young players get picked though and why it's useful is because they have the most room to grow as players, putting them in an environment like this can definitely help them push on, it's not exactly like QLD is teeming with quality in that position anyway, if we where I would understand.

I'm almost certain Coates will be picked though because we all know why: Tall/Fast Winger go brrr.
No you basically said wing isn't important, and their mistakes don't matter.

Cobbo should absolutely be in the squad for development, but he shouldn't be playing.

No you basically said wing isn't important, and their mistakes don't matter.

Cobbo should absolutely be in the squad for development, but he shouldn't be playing.
No I didn't at all, I said responsibility. Clearly a fullback is a much higher pressure role, with it being last line of defence and heavily involved in set plays and generally in the modern game does the most meters(atleast in good sides).

A Wingers role is much more simplified, nothing about this says the role isn't important, mistakes are possible in any position, but an error filled fullback performance is much more distructive to a teams result then a error filled wing performance, you can't deny this.

And for that reason it's a role suitable for young player Debuts atleast compared to other positions on the Field, I would be scared shitless having say Walker play in the halves at this stage of his career, very high chance he could end up damaged goods after the experience.

No I didn't at all, I said responsibility. Clearly a fullback is a much higher pressure role, with it being last line of defence and heavily involved in set plays and generally in the modern game does the most meters(atleast in good sides).

A Wingers role is much more simplified, nothing about this says the role isn't important, mistakes are possible in any position, but an error filled fullback performance is much more distructive to a teams result then a error filled wing performance, you can't deny this.
I think both can be detrimental. I think a winger is easier to exploit defensively as they are in the front line.

I think both can be detrimental. I think a winger is easier to exploit defensively as they are in the front line.
Possibly but half of their defensive role is limited on that front, not only is the side less of a defensive burden on the player then closer to the middle, their role in defense is dependent on their inside players decisions, if a team is carving their way through on their side unless they are literally missing all the tackles it's usually a combination of the cover defence being caught out as well.

It's typically a role where it's considered less risky to try young players in for good reason.

I think Ponga gets comfortable. And I think there would be a lot of motivation to play well for Billy Slater and that might push Ponga to really stand up. There will be a bit of ego wanting to play well for arguably the best QLD fullback of all time.
Fair point, I just dont think you can pick a guy because you think he'll be motivated to play for the coach.

Origin isn't really the right arena for that sort of gamble. Unless they have runs on the board, you have to back the form guide.

Fair point, I just dont think you can pick a guy because you think he'll be motivated to play for the coach.

Origin isn't really the right arena for that sort of gamble. Unless they have runs on the board, you have to back the form guide.
Agree. But in this instance there isn’t a clear option ahead of Ponga.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • mitch222
  • winslow_wong
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Manofoneway
  • leon.bott
  • Justwin
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrRobot
  • NSW stables
  • Financeguy
  • Bish
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Behind enemy lines
  • kman
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.