State of Origin 2023 - Game I Discussion

FB IMG 1685750568997

honestly we were behind on every metric. this carry on is bizzare. we beat them on ticker thats all. Munster play as he does...mistakes from nsw...but our boys were in the fight. some freaky stuff though. as it should be origin about moments. we were a dropped ball from losing
our boys won the moments

Aldo checked my post
Love it

Yeo doesn't work in Origin there is less then 10 meters given for the players in Origin with Origin reffing which kills the ball playing lock, Murray who is basically the NSW Cotter should easily be the Lock, Cleary isn't going to be gifted ball playing lock killer ball and he is lost without it.

What about Teddy thinking he`s a half back ?
Went to 1st receiver a cpl of times .
His pinball runs are so unpredictable his centres don`t where to be to collect a pass .

The biggest issue I see is that they build their team around Penrith, and while Penrith are a great NRL team, they have always struggled to overcome adversity within a game. , generally they thrive under front foot footy.

Origin doesn’t work like that though, and I don’t think they have enough dog in them to find that other gear when the game gets tough.

For me, if you are to build an origin team, the better way to start rather than “who are the successful club combos” is “who are the guys with the most dog in them”.

For NSW, there aren’t many of those but the standouts are::

Latrell Mitchell
Liam Martin
Jack Wighton (beg him)
Jake Trbo
Nicho Hynes

Those are the guys that you pick first and then find the next best to build around. And that’s not necessarily easy.

1. Mitchell
6. Wighton
7. Hynes
10. Jrbo
11. Martin

That is a strong core group. Murray is probably in the convo, and Ado-Carr seems to get origin so there’s 2 more spots filled. Haas gives you guaranteed metres and no missed tackles so you slap him in upfront. You need some grubby aggression so a Young, Radley (I’m sure NRL would allow it), TPJ. QLD would give some young fellas a chance like Preston or Sualii. Cook has done it before and is having a good year.

1. Mitchell
2. JAC
3. TTrbo (if fit)
4. Graham
5. Sualii
6. Wighton
7. Hynes
8. Haas
9. Cook
10. Jrbo
11. Martin
12. Frizell
13. Murray

14. Api
15. Paulo
16. TPJ
17. Yeo

Jake Turbo is injured and looks like missing the whole series .
He makes a big difference to their team .

Manly have applied to the NRL to downgrade Tom Turbos category 1 concussion so he isn't stood down for 11 days and would be available for next weekends game

Manly have applied to the NRL to downgrade Tom Turbos category 1 concussion so he isn't stood down for 11 days and would be available for next weekends game
Who couldn't see that coming.

I think the NRL have to stand strong here, but will they given he's a NSWRL darling.

Exceptions were made for Katoa and someone else following ANZAC day, but both those players played on the 11th day for Magic Round I believe... for Turbo he'll be playing on the 9th day in Rd 15.

If they start making exclusions for everyone they may as well not even have the stand down at all.

Meh not fussed. Potential exemptions were always baked in and Turbo freshening up before game 2 could have been the best thing for him and bad news for QLD.

The biggest issue I see is that they build their team around Penrith, and while Penrith are a great NRL team, they have always struggled to overcome adversity within a game. , generally they thrive under front foot footy.

Origin doesn’t work like that though, and I don’t think they have enough dog in them to find that other gear when the game gets tough.

For me, if you are to build an origin team, the better way to start rather than “who are the successful club combos” is “who are the guys with the most dog in them”.

For NSW, there aren’t many of those but the standouts are::

Latrell Mitchell
Liam Martin
Jack Wighton (beg him)
Jake Trbo
Nicho Hynes

Those are the guys that you pick first and then find the next best to build around. And that’s not necessarily easy.

1. Mitchell
6. Wighton
7. Hynes
10. Jrbo
11. Martin

That is a strong core group. Murray is probably in the convo, and Ado-Carr seems to get origin so there’s 2 more spots filled. Haas gives you guaranteed metres and no missed tackles so you slap him in upfront. You need some grubby aggression so a Young, Radley (I’m sure NRL would allow it), TPJ. QLD would give some young fellas a chance like Preston or Sualii. Cook has done it before and is having a good year.

1. Mitchell
2. JAC
3. TTrbo (if fit)
4. Graham
5. Sualii
6. Wighton
7. Hynes
8. Haas
9. Cook
10. Jrbo
11. Martin
12. Frizell
13. Murray

14. Api
15. Paulo
16. TPJ
17. Yeo

It's interesting because the two things most selectors focus on are combinations and coming from winning teams.

When they played like Penrith, straight edge runner off Luai they scored a really good try.

But they run all the Penrith plays and shapes and Queensland have won three of the last four games.

It's interesting because the two things most selectors focus on are combinations and coming from winning teams.

When they played like Penrith, straight edge runner off Luai they scored a really good try.

But they run all the Penrith plays and shapes and Queensland have won three of the last four games.
I also really underrate Tedesco compared to most apparently. No doubt he’s a statistical freak with unbelievable consistency but I’ve argued for years that he breaks down attacking structures and doesn’t play smart, team first footy.

The pushback against that is understandable because he obviously tries his ass off and is all effort, and as I said his stats are incredible. But he made the roosters attack clunky when he and Cronk first went there and eventually Cronk won out and took control of the attack and Teddy had to play his role. Since Cronk retired, Teddy and the roosters just got more and more Teddyfied and it has devolved into the clunky mess they are today.

The blues are the same. Either it is Cleary’s team with the Penrith structure and Teddy js a role player, or it isn’t and you stop picking Penrith players.

If I were Fred and I wanted to continue with the Penrith core, I would strip Tedesco of the Captaincy and give it to Cleary and Yeo as a statement. If Teddy can’t take a step back and be a role player in the Penrith machine, you need to drop him for Edwards

Watching the Kayo mini and they just showed the Flegler bin. Still furious, what a fucking rort.

I was just watching to see Teddy sliding into second base lol

I posted it earlier, its so, so similar to a try Hammer scored for the Cowboys against the Warriors a couple of years ago, even to the point when Hammer swerves he puts Reece Walsh on his backside in the same way he does to Teddy.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Porthoz
  • Morkel
  • Turks85
  • Lozza
  • broncsgoat
  • Rookie Alan
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Evander
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.