State of Origin 2023 - Game I Discussion

Ah no it was a very bad look for game, especially when the games on show is what the nrl will say
I mean, this was one decision the ref got correct. What looked bad for the game was the many other poor reffing incidents.

who is josh bird and why do we keep posting what this random nobody posts on twitter?

Former BHQ member that asked to have his account deleted.

So just another nobody like the rest of us.

Former BHQ member that asked to have his account deleted.

So just another nobody like the rest of us.
right.

It's not the first time their tweets have been posted on here, like they hold any weight??

right.

It's not the first time their tweets have been posted on here, like they hold any weight??

Not really. Just re-hashes a lot of what we post on Twitter and what’s said in the news.

Not really. Just re-hashes a lot of what we post on Twitter and what’s said in the news.
My point is, if they aren't really of any authority, why are they a point of reference? Any moron can post a tweet.

I don't think anyone is posting him because they think he's an authority - he just happens to share memes fans like. It's also incredibly easy to post Twitter links - when I was looking for the Luai head-stomp that was one of the first results.

I didn't realise he was a former BHQ member. If he's the one I'm thinking of, it would explain a lot.

My point is, if they aren't really of any authority, why are they a point of reference? Any moron can post a tweet.
Still more qualified than Badel and Co. though

I posted the JL one from this dude. I thought it was funny - it’s not like it’s some controversial opinion or something. I have no idea who he is - he keeps coming up in my time line under this new Twitter setup. I don’t even follow him.

Some of the selection choices from Fittler were a little baffling.

I didn’t mind the selections of TPJ and Young, but they should not have started. It would have been better for NSW to have the more experienced players start and bring them on after the first 20. That softening up period were both sides were looking to bash each other, they were always going to do something stupid.

Probably the most baffling is the selection of Hynes. Fittler opts to not name Cook because he doesn’t think the two dummy halves works but then he says 24 hours before the game that Hynes will play dummy half. Fucking what?

The selection of Turbo of course backfired. As everyone with any common sense predicted. He was slow.

Some of the selection choices from Fittler were a little baffling.

I didn’t mind the selections of TPJ and Young, but they should not have started. It would have been better for NSW to have the more experienced players start and bring them on after the first 20. That softening up period were both sides were looking to bash each other, they were always going to do something stupid.

Probably the most baffling is the selection of Hynes. Fittler opts to not name Cook because he doesn’t think the two dummy halves works but then he says 24 hours before the game that Hynes will play dummy half. Fucking what?

The selection of Turbo of course backfired. As everyone with any common sense predicted. He was slow.
If I'm thinking from a neutral perspective, TPJ isn't a bad choice he has shown he steps up in big games and did get a bit unlucky on his big offload chances that could of broke the game open completely so I can understand the selection(though his rotation was Low IQ), but I don't understand why Martin wasn't a starter, just like I don't get why he isn't for Penrith.

In that game he looked like the only blue who gave a ****, also Yeo doesn't work in Origin there is less then 10 meters given for the players in Origin with Origin reffing which kills the ball playing lock, Murray who is basically the NSW Cotter should easily be the Lock, Cleary isn't going to be gifted ball playing lock killer ball and he is lost without it.

If he can't adapt to that fact he doesn't belong(imo he isn't a rep player anyway) I don't know how Hynes would handle Origin(don't count him being thrown to the wolves in centre) because NSW doesn't give anyone else a chance but from what I can see Hynes is the most Munster like Half they have that has that adlib play and has to be there.

They need a clear leader, they have several club Captains all with mid 20s age experience(outside Teddy who seems to just have been handed the reins from Cordner, which that team has looked lacking since), compared to QLD who have a much more experienced leader in DCE with a clear hierarchy, from what we have learned from our own experience as Broncos fans, leadership is damn near everything and for NSW I'm surprised Reyno hasn't been even thought of as an option for them.

Reyno is a 7 who has shown he can let off and let others take the reins when required, and just from my instinct watching the game I see him and Hynes as an obvious combo from a chemistry perspective with Reyno being the leadership figure NSW lack.

But yeah this would hurt us massively and I'm happy it won't happen.

If I'm thinking from a neutral perspective, TPJ isn't a bad choice he has shown he steps up in big games and did get a bit unlucky on his big offload chances that could of broke the game open completely so I can understand the selection(though his rotation was Low IQ), but I don't understand why Martin wasn't a starter, just like I don't get why he isn't for Penrith.

In that game he looked like the only blue who gave a ****, also Yeo doesn't work in Origin there is less then 10 meters given for the players in Origin with Origin reffing which kills the ball playing lock, Murray who is basically the NSW Cotter should easily be the Lock, Cleary isn't going to be gifted ball playing lock killer ball and he is lost without it.

If he can't adapt to that fact he doesn't belong(imo he isn't a rep player anyway) I don't know how Hynes would handle Origin(don't count him being thrown to the wolves in centre) because NSW doesn't give anyone else a chance but from what I can see Hynes is the most Munster like Half they have that has that adlib play and has to be there.

They need a clear leader, they have several club Captains all with mid 20s age experience(outside Teddy who seems to just have been handed the reins from Cordner, which that team has looked lacking since), compared to QLD who have a much more experienced leader in DCE with a clear hierarchy, from what we have learned from our own experience as Broncos fans, leadership is damn near everything and for NSW I'm surprised Reyno hasn't been even thought of as an option for them.

Reyno is a 7 who has shown he can let off and let others take the reins when required, and just from my instinct watching the game I see him and Hynes as an obvious combo from a chemistry perspective with Reyno being the leadership figure NSW lack.

Reyno was on standby for Cleary if you believe media reports.

honestly we were behind on every metric. this carry on is bizzare. we beat them on ticker thats all. Munster play as he does...mistakes from nsw...but our boys were in the fight. some freaky stuff though. as it should be origin about moments. we were a dropped ball from losing
our boys won the moments

Aldo checked my post

I don't think anyone is posting him because they think he's an authority - he just happens to share memes fans like. It's also incredibly easy to post Twitter links - when I was looking for the Luai head-stomp that was one of the first results.

I didn't realise he was a former BHQ member. If he's the one I'm thinking of, it would explain a lot.
Not me, mate. Never owned a twitter account. Hope everyone’s well by the way. I just lurk these days.

The biggest issue I see is that they build their team around Penrith, and while Penrith are a great NRL team, they have always struggled to overcome adversity within a game. , generally they thrive under front foot footy.

Origin doesn’t work like that though, and I don’t think they have enough dog in them to find that other gear when the game gets tough.

For me, if you are to build an origin team, the better way to start rather than “who are the successful club combos” is “who are the guys with the most dog in them”.

For NSW, there aren’t many of those but the standouts are::

Latrell Mitchell
Liam Martin
Jack Wighton (beg him)
Jake Trbo
Nicho Hynes

Those are the guys that you pick first and then find the next best to build around. And that’s not necessarily easy.

1. Mitchell
6. Wighton
7. Hynes
10. Jrbo
11. Martin

That is a strong core group. Murray is probably in the convo, and Ado-Carr seems to get origin so there’s 2 more spots filled. Haas gives you guaranteed metres and no missed tackles so you slap him in upfront. You need some grubby aggression so a Young, Radley (I’m sure NRL would allow it), TPJ. QLD would give some young fellas a chance like Preston or Sualii. Cook has done it before and is having a good year.

1. Mitchell
2. JAC
3. TTrbo (if fit)
4. Graham
5. Sualii
6. Wighton
7. Hynes
8. Haas
9. Cook
10. Jrbo
11. Martin
12. Frizell
13. Murray

14. Api
15. Paulo
16. TPJ
17. Yeo

The biggest issue I see is that they build their team around Penrith, and while Penrith are a great NRL team, they have always struggled to overcome adversity within a game. , generally they thrive under front foot footy.

Origin doesn’t work like that though, and I don’t think they have enough dog in them to find that other gear when the game gets tough.

For me, if you are to build an origin team, the better way to start rather than “who are the successful club combos” is “who are the guys with the most dog in them”.

For NSW, there aren’t many of those but the standouts are::

Latrell Mitchell
Liam Martin
Jack Wighton (beg him)
Jake Trbo
Nicho Hynes

Those are the guys that you pick first and then find the next best to build around. And that’s not necessarily easy.

1. Mitchell
6. Wighton
7. Hynes
10. Jrbo
11. Martin

That is a strong core group. Murray is probably in the convo, and Ado-Carr seems to get origin so there’s 2 more spots filled. Haas gives you guaranteed metres and no missed tackles so you slap him in upfront. You need some grubby aggression so a Young, Radley (I’m sure NRL would allow it), TPJ. QLD would give some young fellas a chance like Preston or Sualii. Cook has done it before and is having a good year.

1. Mitchell
2. JAC
3. TTrbo (if fit)
4. Graham
5. Sualii
6. Wighton
7. Hynes
8. Haas
9. Cook
10. Jrbo
11. Martin
12. Frizell
13. Murray

14. Api
15. Paulo
16. TPJ
17. Yeo
Agree that they put far too much emphasis on the Panthers connection.

The current Panthers are a grind it out team and then have structured attack off the back of it... however a vital cog across that is the back 3 making 150m plus a game so the forwards dont have to and then a hyper aggressive defensive line.

It all ends up meaning that Panthers play with like 60% field position and then they wait for the opposition to make a mistake and go through their gears in attack.

They keep talking about Cleary needing to own an origin game, blah blah blah... but is he that kind of player anyway?

They talk about him like he's a Joey, Fittler, JT, Lockyer, etc. that carries a team on their back, but I think he's more a team player that plays what his coach wants.

In origin they could just use Cleary as a game manager and kick teams to death, but then have a Cody Walker outside him that can own the attack.

He might need a Latrell at fullback, but they'd have to figure out if there's enough yardage with him there. A fit Turbo is their best bet at fullback, because he makes meters, finishes off backline movements and supports through the middle.

NSW just get too carried away looking to have club combinations... Qld dont usually have that option.

The best spine through the dynasty had a spine of Slater, Lockyer, JT and CS9.

3 different teams represented, but the combo built up over the years, they knew their roles and combined for their own style in origin land.

Even now we have Reece/Ponga, Munster, DCE, Bhunt/Harry in the spine... 4 different teams represented and it works

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Porthoz
  • Shane Tronc
  • winslow_wong
  • Dazza 92
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • sooticus
  • Culhwch
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Maroon4life
  • Rowdy124
  • mystico
  • tajhay
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.