State of Origin - Game 1 Discussion

Game 1 is usually pumping in excitement with the first timers, all the profiles, etc but this year is just...meh. I'll be watching cycling instead.
The issue is that there aren't too many debutants and they're usually the life blood of the Game I media coverage.

Here both teams are basically the same with a few more Panthers added into Freddy's team.

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
[/st_td_row][st_td]jbb/james - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 19, 2010
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
I love origin. apart from Manly and origin i watch no other footy. being a blues supporter that lived in qjd for 25 years it has some spice. we are a mixed family. wife and son support qld, me the blues.it will start getting lippy around the dinner table . actually son will be home in 20 from school. better get blued up to meet him at the door and start the sass. gotta go

801.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]SeaEagleRock8 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2009
Don't care who wins but nearly always watch. The sinbins (or perhaps the lack of) will be the talking point but I'm still hoping for a close classic match.

Link - http://silvertails.net/tipping-competition/

[/st_td_row][st_td]Cliffymagic - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 25, 2010
It's a great looking backline for NSW, should really tear apart Qld.
But as we know , anything can happen in origin!

Manly to win :D

[/st_td_row][st_td]Josh - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .October 11, 2018
Anyone know if they are doing a u16/18/20s State of origins for the juinors this year? cant find anything online about it.

1667.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]wombatgc - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 16, 2010
Tbh, I’m pumped for the country ppl of Nth Qld that will drive Christ knows how many hours to get to witness maybe their first SOO live. They always have something shiit happen to them in regards to wild weather fukin up their crops and livelihoods each year. Now a game of footy isn’t going to replace a banana plantation, but for 80minutes they’ll get to enjoy themselves. Of course the ride home is going to be shiit, what with all the Blues tries to regale themselves with.

You know what it really Is for me? Origin 1 is meaningless nowadays. Typically Origin 2 means do or die, but usually it goes the other way, conveniently setting up for Origin 3 - "the decider". It just seems too convenient for me.

The build up thread has JUST ticked over to the second page and most responses are about not being excited, this says a lot!
There’s a buildup thread?

Just did a quick wiki search and there have been 20 "deciders" in origin history. Of those, 12 have been since 2002, where I couldn't be bothered going back further. To make matters worse, each "decider" showed the expected increase in viewership EXCEPT for 2015 which I can't explain except to Guess it was because QLDers didn't expect to win it or something, I don't know. Viewership was relatively steady across the 3 games.

Anyway, the point is that "decider" = $$$

Edit: Not sure on the number of deciders - I pulled that from a Roar article from 2019

Just did a quick wiki search and there have been 20 "deciders" in origin history. Of those, 12 have been since 2002, where I couldn't be bothered going back further. To make matters worse, each "decider" showed the expected increase in viewership EXCEPT for 2015 which I can't explain except to Guess it was because QLDers didn't expect to win it or something, I don't know. Viewership was relatively steady across the 3 games.

Anyway, the point is that "decider" = $$$

Edit: Not sure on the number of deciders - I pulled that from a Roar article from 2019
Fully agree. Been a few games created into deciders

The issue is that there aren't too many debutants and they're usually the life blood of the Game I media coverage.

Here both teams are basically the same with a few more Panthers added into Freddy's team.
Isn’t there 5 debutants?
Do we usually get more than that for an Origin?

[/st_td_row][st_td]jbb/james - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 19, 2010

I love origin. apart from Manly and origin i watch no other footy. being a blues supporter that lived in qjd for 25 years it has some spice. we are a mixed family. wife and son support qld, me the blues.it will start getting lippy around the dinner table . actually son will be home in 20 from school. better get blued up to meet him at the door and start the sass. gotta go

Yeah, my brother lives with me and he's a NSW supporter. It's on!

27881.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]ManEagle - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 30, 2018
HI all,

Opening up early so we can chat about the state of oranges and other citrus tonight
Not sure what we are going to get tonight a few hits to the melons might turn the match into a lemon but I really hope no strawberry taps result in being binned or ill be blowing raspberries and spitting pips.
The one banana bender will be the ref IF he acts like a prickly pineapple.

Hopefully she'll be apples as they really don't want a paw paw specticle otherwise will be more of a fruit loop than a salad

which way are the kiwi fruit falling for state of oranges ?

Sorry back to normal transmission I'll let myself out, carry on......

Have the tribe Coming over soon firing up the BBQ
GO DA BLUES.....

Isn’t there 5 debutants?
Do we usually get more than that for an Origin?
4 with the possibility of 5 in Koroisau. The fact that four of them come from Penrith mitigates the headlines somewhat, especially since the media has an odd relationship with the Panthers.

I'd say it's around the average which is why you usually don't see a lot of hype for a series opener unless you see a host of changes or a really out of left field selection.

NSW can put the most powerfull side they got, QLD will always match it with will power

Active Now

• Strop
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Midean
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Fitzy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.