State of Origin - Game 1 Discussion

That NSW team is better on paper, in much better form and fitter than QLD and it'll be hard to spring an ambush when they're coming off arguably the biggest upset in series history. Not confident at all.

I'm interested in how Fotuaika and Haas go. Both are insanely talented props at club level, but have been absolutely terrible for their states (though Mo only really had the one game, it was really disappointing).

I wouldn't be too upset if Haas continues to suck for NSW to be honest.

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
2226.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Shoe1 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 14, 2010
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
Why is the game on so bloody late? I’ll be asleep by then at this rate.

Life member

2226.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Shoe1 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 14, 2010
Why is the game on so bloody late? I’ll be asleep by then at this rate.
All is not lost, switch over to NITV for a special preview on over the black dot

Life member

I just can’t see a QLD win.

NSW got cocky last year, and even Freddy bought into the hype that NSW were starting a new period of dominance. Then when QLD turned up, they didn’t have any answers and by the time they were able to wrestle back control, it was already too late.

They won’t be making the same mistake again this year. They won’t want to be embarrassed like that again.

I don’t buy this bullshit that QLD have the advantage because it’s in Townsville. It’s nowhere near the same as Suncorp.

So it’s very difficult to get excited for this game.

4 with the possibility of 5 in Koroisau. The fact that four of them come from Penrith mitigates the headlines somewhat, especially since the media has an odd relationship with the Panthers.

I
To’o, Luai, Martin, Feldt and Fotuaika so 5 debut’s by my count with Api the 6th possible.

I think if hype was based on debutants that quota is covered.

I put the lacklustre of interest vs. other years not so much down to the number of new players but more the calibre. (And the fear of rule changes breaking this game)

it’s hard to see any of the 34 players tonight really being spoken about either now or in the near future as legends of Origin such as a Meninga, Lockyer, Tallis, Langer, Smith, Slater or Daley, Harrigan, Elias or Fitler.

747.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Mark from Brisbane - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .October 2, 2008
It’s laughable how every year the bloody Queenslanders claim underdog status!!

Yep, even when they had Smith , Cronk , Thurston & Slater and had one the last 10 they were still underdogs!!

Yeah right !!

Two games in QLD, the Maroons in a canter.

Fan for over 50 years and founder of the Manly Warringah Travelling Supporters, you can also follow me on Twitter @MarkTramby Enjoying the retired life and all that brings.

I’ve got qld winning with a David Fifita hat trick.

To’o, Luai, Martin, Feldt and Fotuaika so 5 debut’s by my count with Api the 6th possible.

I think if hype was based on debutants that quota is covered.

I put the lacklustre of interest vs. other years not so much down to the number of new players but more the calibre. (And the fear of rule changes breaking this game)

it’s hard to see any of the 34 players tonight really being spoken about either now or in the near future as legends of Origin such as a Meninga, Lockyer, Tallis, Langer, Smith, Slater or Daley, Harrigan, Elias or Fitler.
Foutaika debuted last year, but nobody can blame you for missing that.

If there was an angle for the media to sell, then the new blood would help immensely but the fact that the majority are from Penrith they get over-shadowed by Cleary.

Interest is a little down, but interest in Origin has always fluctuated especially when it comes to the series opener.

Haha, I definitely did miss that one.

I still think we are due for a new list of Origin “legends” to create some heated rivalry which creates interest. Maybe Munster and Grant can develop that for Qld but no Gallen type for us to hate for NSW

1649.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Jerry1 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 14, 2010
NSW by 20+

I think if NSW are to win then it will be Teddy and Cook through the middle causing all the damage... I'm not sure on the NSW halves pairing. Unless Freddy tries to do something to completely alter the way Cleary and Luai play then Luai could just be sitting on his left edge waiting for the ball to come to him.

For qld I think our spine is actually better balanced... Munster and DCE know their roles in origin pretty well now. Harry looks an absolute star... although there will be concerns around him getting through the 80. I would've started with Reed and brought Harry off the bench at about the 30mins mark.... he's been absolutely slaughtering teams for the storm coming off the bench.

Fullback becomes a bit of an issue for qld with Ponga out and Val being 50/50 on sweep plays.

NSW back row is lessened due to the omissions of Radley and Crichton compared to Tariq and Murray (playing out of position). I don't mind qld's back row of Fifi, Kaufusi and Arrow coming up against NSW's, although I would prefer Capewell in the back row over Kaufusi. I also like our starting front row of Tino and Welch up against DSaif and Jurbo.

Unfortunately Qld's bench is brought waaaay down by the inclusion of Offa compared to NSW's bench of Haas and Paulo

Should be an interesting game and could be pretty close... just have to wait and see what the refs get up to. I suspect they will put the whistle in the pocket and any penalties will be made up straight away. Although for Game 1 the ref usually likes to blow a couple early so everyone thinks it's the same rules as NRL, but then they just put it away never to be heard again.

Not as invested as I've been in years past but I'm interested to see how it plays out in Townsville.

You can argue Suncorp is a parochial crowd but I'd say Townsville will be arguably louder and more feral. Feldt debuting, Valentine in the #1, they'll be going bonkers.

On paper NSW have all that strike but think we'll keep it simple like 2020 Game 3. Hard up the middle. Bomb To'o and run traffic at Luai all night. Force errors up their end, pressure pressure pressure.

Possible the Blues get a roll on early and out class us, but we can prevail in a dog fight.

If there was an angle for the media to sell, then the new blood would help immensely but the fact that the majority are from Penrith they get over-shadowed by Cleary.

Interest is a little down, but interest in Origin has always fluctuated especially when it comes to the series opener.
I think what has brought things down a little is the number of omissions due to injury and suspension.

No Ponga, Papa, Radley, Crichton, etc. has both teams scrambling to fill the 17... it creates a bit of uncertainty around form and how the game might play out. For NSW this is generally fine as they have so much depth, but QLD are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for players.

There could also be concerns of a blow out which has become so prevalent in NRL nowadays. Qld being weakened increases that.

Also NRL media is just trash and struggle to hype up anything from scratch... I feel like I've been hearing the same build-up for 15yr now. Also NSWRL is just generally overconfident nowadays and focus all the attention on Cleary, Teddy, Turbo and Latrell for NSW and Munster, Tino, etc. for qld... it's the same shit they hype for a standard NRL weekend and becomes repetitive and boring

747.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Mark from Brisbane - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .October 2, 2008
8536.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Super Freak - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .January 25, 2014

The Veronicas?

Seriously?

1412667335.png
Pretty ordinary I thought

Fan for over 50 years and founder of the Manly Warringah Travelling Supporters, you can also follow me on Twitter @MarkTramby Enjoying the retired life and all that brings.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Brocko
  • Fozz
  • ivanhungryjak
  • lynx000
  • Lostboy
  • Justwin
  • davidp
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • FGfrom50
  • dasherhalo
  • Painin the Haas
  • Johnny92
  • Maroon4life
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.