State Of Origin - Game 1 - Post Match Discussion

Just watched the game. Some very positive signs from the underdog Blues - willingness to attack (for example Pearce's last tackle long pass out wide to Morris early on), solid defence, and a lot of enthusiasm.
I think our backline is the best we've had in years. Gasnier wants to be there and it shows. Jennings is lethal when he actually gets the ball. Dugan and Uate were the two best debutants of the night. The only change I would make is Hayne in for Morris.
The difference between the sides was Matt Scott. He was phenomenal. I can't even think of a player who's eligible for the Blues that has ever played a game like that.
It was only due to Thurston's shithouse goal kicking that the scores were so close at the end. But even if he'd converted, it was a team that's been together 6 years only just winning against a new side full of rookies. So the future lookes promising for NSW.

broncospwn said:
http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=617555&vId=2433832&cId=Sport&play=true

Check out the cheap shot from Ennis about 50 seconds in, scum bag, hope he gets suspended for that shit.

I doubt Ennis would get suspended, but that was definitely a cheap shot. And I'm on of the few QLDers who likes Ennis too, he used to always do the "dirty" stuff in the spirit of the game.

dukey said:
Just watched the game. Some very positive signs from the underdog Blues - willingness to attack (for example Pearce's last tackle long pass out wide to Morris early on), solid defence, and a lot of enthusiasm.
I think our backline is the best we've had in years. Gasnier wants to be there and it shows. Jennings is lethal when he actually gets the ball. Dugan and Uate were the two best debutants of the night. The only change I would make is Hayne in for Morris.
The difference between the sides was Matt Scott. He was phenomenal. I can't even think of a player who's eligible for the Blues that has ever played a game like that.
It was only due to Thurston's shithouse goal kicking that the scores were so close at the end. But even if he'd converted, it was a team that's been together 6 years only just winning against a new side full of rookies. So the future lookes promising for NSW.

Agree. NSW were excellent.

What's worrying for them though is that Queensland was pedestrian. So much possession, so much field position, and so little penetration. Thurston was pretty poor, Nielsen and Tonga had no penetration on the fringes. Given how much Queensland can potentially improve, while I don't think NSW has that much more it can do with this team this year, I think QLD should be pretty confident for game 2.

That set of 6 leading upto the Slater try typified Queensland and how determined they are to do those extra things to win. Yow Yeh makes a hit up, then out of nowhere pops an offload to Thaiday - extra 10 metres. Parker makes a 10 metro run and offloads to Neilsen for an extra 7 metres. Matt Scott makes an epic 18 metre run. Those sorts of plays meant Locky and Slater could just keep it simple to put points on.

Yow Yeh showed last night he was ready, And damn he is going to be a star for years to come (Stay away major injury)

Jeba said:
That set of 6 leading upto the Slater try typified Queensland and how determined they are to do those extra things to win. Yow Yeh makes a hit up, then out of nowhere pops an offload to Thaiday - extra 10 metres. Parker makes a 10 metro run and offloads to Neilsen for an extra 7 metres. Matt Scott makes an epic 18 metre run. Those sorts of plays meant Locky and Slater could just keep it simple to put points on.

^^ This! The involvement of Yow Yeh, Parker and Scott in that set hasn't got the coverage it deserves. They went 60m in 3 plays!

Even King?

Personally with TLL back from injury I'd bring him in.

I just wouldn't make too many whole-sale changes, especially to the spine.

For NSW - TLL in for King, Luke Lewis in for Creagh. Not sure about Dean Young either, he did **** all.

As for Ennis stomping on Cronk, it's pretty sad really. It could of been worse but that's not really the point, it's pathetic that he feels the need to pull shit like that when he's not even a bad player. It's like he just can't help but be a complete arsehole [icon_shru

Sitting on the dock in hydra Greece and finally got Internet connection. Sounds like I missed a decent game. Getting my rugby league fix through you guys

Ennis cleared of course. Shit odonnell only got a couple of weeks for a spear tackle

Finally saw a replay of the match. Watching it made me realise even more how awesome (Great, not Crap) Scott was last night. He dominated so much, I peed a little.

I hate NSW so much but at least they finally turned up to play. But as per usual, we're always one step ahead.

Gasnier was there for the lolz, he was pwned by a guy with an injured arm and another guy smaller than him.

The only thing that NSW kept consistent was their grubbiness cos Ennis, Bird, (Crap) Scott and Gallen were the best ones out of it.

Man, nothing can top watching Origin live at Suncorp. The atmosphere last night was electric and the majority wore something maroon (as expected). Can't wait for Game 3!

Thought that the NSW outside backs defended very smartly. Thurston had his usual corridors closed down but Smith showed his class by finding an alternative. The talk about Matt Scott should come as no surprise - he was immense last year as well.

The timing of Lockyer's pass for the final try was magnificent. So much could have gone wrong in that play, but he did it completely brilliantly.

In general, NSW have done lots of homework regarding the way they defend, especially out wide, and that contributed significantly to the disjointed QLD performance.
My summation is that NSW are building and improving and are bringing a new intelligence to their game in defence.

However, in attack they didn't read it as well - If they continued to exploit the QLD right side they could have easily won the game.

Finally saw the footage of Ennis stomping on Cronk. What a gutless turd, he hides behind teammates when the fights he starts get out of hand and now he pulls this crap? Here's hoping Cam Smith never gets injured in his career because I don't want to see a shitstain like Ennis wearing an Australian jersey.

Fozz said:
Finally saw the footage of Ennis stomping on Cronk. What a gutless turd, he hides behind teammates when the fights he starts get out of hand and now he pulls this crap? Here's hoping Cam Smith never gets injured in his career because I don't want to see a shitstain like Ennis wearing an Australian jersey.
He won't get an Australian Jersey, Farah will play hooker ahead of him for the AUS team IMO even if he isn't playing for NSW, unless they select Young LOL.

Only reason Farah would possibly get the gig is coz of Sheens, the guy is a very good club player at best Origin he looked like a little lost boy at least Ennis adds a bit of emotion and passion for the Blues.

The Rock said:
[quote="The Brizz":1lvrti51]Only reason Farah would possibly get the gig is coz of Sheens, the guy is a very good club player at best Origin he looked like a little lost boy at least Ennis adds a bit of emotion and passion for the Blues.

Farah has played 2 origin games. His first one was very good, 2nd one horrible. Hardly given much of a chance, he was dumped for Ennis in game 3 2009.[/quote:1lvrti51]
I don't think Ennis is a bad player but if Farah is given a chance he can offer way more then Ennis ever could, he's an extra option in attack.

I don't think he will get a game this year, if NSW lose the series again(likely) then Farah will probably be back in the 9 next year.

On Gidley even though I don't think he should be in the team(he will be though guaranteed) he's a better option than Young who is only in the team because he plays for the Dragons.

I reckon Ennis is perfect for NSW. He is a big game player, his defence is very good, he can kick and his attack is not that bad. He's there to be dirty, to niggle us, provoke us. Even though I don't like his style, he is exactly what NSW need. The one thing is he can also get 10 in the bin or sent off which might cost them the game, but then, we've seen how slack Origin refeering is, so that's unlikely.

Soward is an unknown. But then I think he is there largely for his kicking, his speed off the mark, and he's a decent link in the playmaking chain.

I totally agree with RBY's post. The way Gasnier etc.. were totally owned was only when we were right in the face pretty much. However, given room, as they will be in Game 2, it will be a lot harder to contain them, especially Jennings who's clearly enjoying Origin.

I am a little concerned at Civo's reaction time and lateral speed in defence. I think they will attack him a lot.

I am worried our outside backs showed absolutely no ability to break the line. We really need Inglis or Hodges our wide. We can rightly rave about Slater, Locky JT and Smith, but then we only won by a few, and despite the massive dominance of our forwards.

I am seriously worried about the next 2 games, unless Inglis and/or Hodges are back at least for game 3. Jt was ordinary only cos the NSW defence made it that way. I think he will play smarter in Game 2. That gives me more hope.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Culhwch
  • Brocko
  • Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • Manofoneway
  • Financeguy
  • Strop
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Stix
  • Organix
  • Shane Tronc
  • Santa
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bronx48
  • Hoof Hearted
  • BroncsNBundy
  • bert_lifts
  • eggstar10
... and 74 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.