State Of Origin - General Discussion

Any takers on DCE?

Stay with me. This is not a joke.

He's played six games for the Maroons so we wouldn't have to blood a rookie.

The opposition to his selection mainly consists of statements like 'he doesn't fit into the team culture' or 'he's a flog.'

The second point I can easily dismiss - I doubt he's the first flog to ever pull on a QLD jersey so I'm not sure why that's a line through his name.

The first statement is very peculiar. His last game was Game II back in 2015. That was a while ago. Looking at that team we have Boyd, Hodges, Thurston, Scott, Smith, Myles, Guerra, Thaiday, Parker and Lillyman have either retired or were not selected.

Gillett and Morgan are injured and won't be playing in Game 3.

We also have a new coach since then.

How can you not fit into team culture if the team you were last a part of doesn't exist anymore?

He deserves a second chance. If we pick Hunt again then we're just not serious, imo.

Last edited:
Any takers on DCE?

He's played six games for the Maroons so we wouldn't have to blood a rookie.

The opposition to his selection mainly consists of statements like 'he doesn't fit into the team culture' or 'he's a flog.'

The second point I can easily dismiss - I doubt he's the first flog to ever pull on a QLD jersey so I'm not sure why that's a line through his name.

The first statement is very peculiar. His last game was Game II back in 2015. That was a while ago. Looking at that team we have Boyd, Hodges, Thurston, Scott, Smith, Myles, Guerra, Thaiday, Parker and Lillyman have either retired or were not selected.

Gillett and Morgan are injured and won't be playing in Game 3.

We also have a new coach since then.

How can you not fit into team culture if the team you were last a part of doesn't exist anymore?

He deserves a second chance. If we pick Hunt again then we're just not serious, imo.

I'm a bit off Cherry tbh. I've been half seriously suggesting him since the start but he hasn't stood up in any game to demand selection. When he missed out on game 1.....he stunk it up. We lose game 1 so he has the opportunity to push his claim again, especially with the injury to Morgan......nothin. I'm not against the selection as much as some on here, but he hasn't made anyone sit up, take notice and wonder "why isn't he in the team?". Beyond the reported issues with his personality etc. I think if he was individually tearing teams apart, they'd overlook his social flaws......and that stupid neck

I'm a bit off Cherry tbh. I've been half seriously suggesting him since the start but he hasn't stood up in any game to demand selection. When he missed out on game 1.....he stunk it up. We lose game 1 so he has the opportunity to push his claim again, especially with the injury to Morgan......nothin. I'm not against the selection as much as some on here, but he hasn't made anyone sit up, take notice and wonder "why isn't he in the team?". Beyond the reported issues with his personality etc. I think if he was individually tearing teams apart, they'd overlook his social flaws......and that stupid neck

Yeah absolutely.

His own personal form is probably the biggest obstacle to his selection. We desperately need someone with a kicking game. It's probably the difference between a bluewash and a maroonwash this year.

Team culture is not related to a particular generation of players, but the fabric of any player who puts the maroon jersey on. The team and your team mates come first. Always. Period.

Whether he is a flog or a **** is immaterial, plenty of those on both sides of the park, who will fucking bleed and suffer on the park for their jersey. Does anyone actually believe DCE would?
He is a hypocritical self-centred piece of shit, who drops his bundle and gives up when faced with any adversity, and is incapable of self sacrifice or putting himself on the line for the sake of a mate or his team.

I am very critical of Nikorima and Hunt, who honestly don't hold a candle to DCE when it comes to talent and ability for the halfback position, but neither of them will give up trying, or stop putting in the effort, and while that mentality is a must in any sport, it is greatly amplified in the Origin arena!

If the rumours are true and we “pick and stick” with wallace, chambers, hunt and cooper I hope we lose the last game by a large amount. Reason: we will lose next series if we win this game because it will be used to justify picking them again. Im sick of this myth of pick and stick walters is using...

1. We have picked and sticked in the past WHEN those players have proven something in origin (chambers has been ok prior to this year but the rest have been abysmal at origin level- give anyone 10 games at origin level and they will eventually have 1 or 2 good/decent games (hello michael morgan). The difference before with carrying those players is we werent depending on them before because of the greats carrying the team

2. A big point that no one from other teams wants to highlight because itd mean the possibility of less non-broncos players is that over the years the teams that our players have come from are form teams. Cowboys and storm were at the top of the ladder in the golden run with us occaisonally popping up there or having players who had proven themselves at origin.
Currently the cowboys and titans are TERRIBLE yet people want more of their players in the team. Its laughable! They are havjng trouble keeping up in the nrl!

If the rumours are true and we “pick and stick” with wallace, chambers, hunt and cooper I hope we lose the last game by a large amount. Reason: we will lose next series if we win this game because it will be used to justify picking them again. Im sick of this myth of pick and stick walters is using...

1. We have picked and sticked in the past WHEN those players have proven something in origin (chambers has been ok prior to this year but the rest have been abysmal at origin level- give anyone 10 games at origin level and they will eventually have 1 or 2 good/decent games (hello michael morgan). The difference before with carrying those players is we werent depending on them before because of the greats carrying the team

2. A big point that no one from other teams wants to highlight because itd mean the possibility of less non-broncos players is that over the years the teams that our players have come from are form teams. Cowboys and storm were at the top of the ladder in the golden run with us occaisonally popping up there or having players who had proven themselves at origin.
Currently the cowboys and titans are TERRIBLE yet people want more of their players in the team. Its laughable! They are havjng trouble keeping up in the nrl!

The problem is not so much with wanting to replace them, it is more ho do you replace them with?

Chambers - Gagai or Munster to centre and Oates must come in on the wing / bench
Wallace - Ofahenguae but then there are the injury concerns over Napa. Is Welch ready? Glasby is basically the best example of the problem - average at best but average at best is the best available outside the side
Hunt - DCE? Taylor? Milford? I'd personally go with Milford, I think he has had a really good season (I know I'm in the minority but I actually think he has been playing the house down). Taylor is just not ready and well DCE is DCE.

Any takers on DCE?

...his lack of form is my biggest objection.

I couldn't give two ***** about whether he's the prick he's being made out to be or not. I severely doubt those getting all outraged have any real clue to what he has done / what he has't done, other than what they've read in an article by some arsehole journo.

The problem is not so much with wanting to replace them, it is more ho do you replace them with?

Chambers - Gagai or Munster to centre and Oates must come in on the wing / bench
Wallace - Ofahenguae but then there are the injury concerns over Napa. Is Welch ready? Glasby is basically the best example of the problem - average at best but average at best is the best available outside the side
Hunt - DCE? Taylor? Milford? I'd personally go with Milford, I think he has had a really good season (I know I'm in the minority but I actually think he has been playing the house down). Taylor is just not ready and well DCE is DCE.
I totally agree with all of that. Particularly the milford point. People last year were tearing him to shreds last year about his organising, kicking and defence. All of those areas he has been awesome in. He is out of form big time with his running and ball handling at the moment but he has been the glue that has held us together this year. He got thrown under the bus by walters. Chances are we win the last origin no matter who plays because we have more to prove and play for to avoid embarrassment. The concern for me is it will be used to justify picking them again next year, or even multiple years ahead “they are close, if we just got the bounce of the ball......” exactly what daley said fpr 3-4 years as they consistently lost...

...his lack of form is my biggest objection.

I couldn't give two ***** about whether he's the prick he's being made out to be or not. I severely doubt those getting all outraged have any real clue to what he has done / what he has't done, other than what they've read in an article by some arsehole journo.

Fair call mate.

I should've said that in my original post - his club form is probably the biggest obstacle to his selection... but that's not what people jump to when assessing if he should be picked or not.

We also have several players in the QLD side for both games whose clubs aren't going that well.

Just heard on Nine News that DCE will be recalled and Ben Hunt relegated to the bench.

Thank God.

Just heard on Nine News that DCE will be recalled and Ben Hunt relegated to the bench.

Thank God.

I dunno how DCE will go, but I do like Hunt on the bench. He can come in at hooker or something similar and provide some impact.

I dunno how DCE will go, but I do like Hunt on the bench. He can come in at hooker or something similar and provide some impact.

Of course mate.

One thing is certain - Ben Hunt can't be halfback.

Which is not to say he doesn't have a place in the team. I'm not saying that at all.

Inglis out apparently.
1. Slater
2. Holmes
3. Chambers
4. Munster
5. Gagai
6. Milford
7. DCE
8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Napa
11. Cooper
12. Kafusi
13. Arrow
14. Oates
15. Offa
16. Papalii
17. Glasby

Thinking about QLDs halves though, it feels like pretty much all of them need to play with Cronk as their partner to get the most out of them. Well, I dunno about Taylor, but I haven't seen him do much but kick.

Inglis definitely out, but side is yet to be named. Delayed for obvious reasons.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • Socnorb
  • Santa
  • Dash
  • levikaden
  • Tim K
  • Big Del
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.