State of Origin Maroon emerging squad

QUEENSLAND’S Emerging Origin camp nightmare has taken another twist following revelations Brisbane young gun Joe Ofahengaue was also involved in breaking curfew late last month.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ofahengaue joined former Broncos teammate and current Sydney Rooster Dale Copley as the designated drivers who drove at least eight players to Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley nightclub strip after they were informed the night was over.

The players had earlier enjoyed a dinner at the team’s Mt Gravatt hotel, before the QRL organised a bus for drinks at the Story Bridge Hotel.

The bus returned the squad of 20 players to the team hotel for their midnight curfew, but a number of players decided to continue the party.

Despite driving the players, Ofahengaue and Copley have escaped punishment from the Queensland Rugby League.

This has attracted criticism from a number of player managers whose clients were slapped with 12-month bans from Origin football.

The QRL, including coach Kevin Walters, are aware of Ofahengaue and Copley’s involvement and are comfortable with their decision not to punish them.

However, several managers are upset with the QRL’s double standard not to discipline the pair given they significantly contributed to the playing group breaking curfew.

It’s understood Ofahengaue and Copley left the team hotel before the midnight curfew, but they still played a role in defying strict team orders.

This has upset a number of player managers, who are disappointed by the QRL’s handling of the Origin camp fiasco.

They understand and accept the 12-month bans for breaking curfew were justified, but they feel the investigation has lacked consistency.

This is highlighted by rising Sharks star Valentine Holmes being arrested and charged by police, yet he still faced the same punishment as the players who broke curfew.

QRL chairman Peter Betros said the QRL wouldn’t be making any further comment when contacted by the Daily Telegraph.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...e/news-story/83181d06b0cb78b60b3c2e7ffa7c23ad

Last edited by a moderator:
my bad, I didn't realise that.

I'm surprised you'd forgotten.

It's a shame the media have gotten their dirty mits on the story, because Joe's ascent maybe one of the more exciting narratives at the Broncos and I believe it will only be a matter of time before he shapes up for Queensland.

I'm surprised you'd forgotten.

It's a shame the media have gotten their dirty mits on the story, because Joe's ascent maybe one of the more exciting narratives at the Broncos and I believe it will only be a matter of time before he shapes up for Queensland.

Totally agree.

I'm not sure why people think Oates is going to play origin this year, it's just not gonna happen whilst the current crop is around.

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai

The only scenario in which he gets a run this year is if there's injuries, even then I wouldn't be surprised if Kev opted for a safer option like Justin O'Neill.

And after all these bans are up, it's still not going to be easy to crack the side, there's plenty of good young Centres & Wingers coming through, not all of them will turn into Origin players, but a couple of them probably will. Off the top of my head -

Valentine Holmes
Cameron Munster
Kurt Mann
Nene Macdonald
Kirisome Auva'a
Dale Copley
Edrick Lee
Brenko Lee
Gideon Gela-Mosby

Gagai still strikes me as a bit of an enigma when he is on he is good but when he is bad he is terrible, still has a bit of work to do as a player.

Gagai still strikes me as a bit of an enigma when he is on he is good but when he is bad he is terrible, still has a bit of work to do as a player.

Yeah I'd agree with that, he's already a solid origin player, but he's got potential to be great if he can get the errors out of his game.

I think it's a premature to say Gagai is a solid Origin player. He had a good debut but it was on the back of the most dominant team display I've ever seen in my life, Gagai might've been shown up if it was in Game 1 or 2.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Hurrijo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Fitzy
  • Midean
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • Spoon
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.