State of Origin Maroon emerging squad

Why should anyone have to dob or be a 'snitch'? The players should have admitted they did the wrong thing in the first place and copped their punishment.

I'm all for not dobbing in your mates if someone pulls a prank or does something minor that doesn't really have a major impact. But, you're not being a true 'mate' to someone if you allow them to get away with high standards that you yourself are expected to meet. If a 'mate' doesn't want to be your friend after you dob them in for not adhering to standards they should be, they are not really your friend anyway and need to have a good look at themselves.

I kind of think Walters telling the squad it's alright to drink piss for 4-6 hours but not any longer sends mixed messages. Most of these guys are just wild young bucks, in peak physical condition but without the maturity of an older man. Kev and others were total animals back in the day when they were the same age ( thereabouts ). It seems to me a bit of 'do as I say, not as I did'.I agree about respecting Origin but really, it's not like there was an Origin game just around the corner and they were pissing up just prior. The way to hurt these guys is through the hip pocket, fining them all proportionately according to their incomes.

I can imagine the skewed decision making processes that were in action after 4 or 5 hours sanctioned drinking. I just think it's unreasonable to ask a young guy to make a smart decision when he's pissed up already. Alcohol makes fools of us all except for the holy warriors who refrain from any drinking. I remember what it was like to be that age and I know that when I had the beer googles on I could do some pretty stupid stuff.

A midnight curfew during the off season for an adult is fucking ridiculous, it's just stupidity. I don't give a shit about 'it's an honour' 'respect the jersey' blah blah blah. It's a training camp during the preseason. The didn't get up to the wrong thing (besides Holmes), this is just pathetic.

As Huge said the entire thing is bizarre. Let them go out and get drunk then tuck them in and say night night boys.

Stupid.

So let me get this situation straight.

At 4:15am on Sunday morning, Valentine Holmes after having one too many gets charged with public nuisance by police. The QRL and more importantly Fairfax media come across this information leaving officials with no other choice than to ban Holmes from Origin.

QRL officials learns that Munster had also broken curfew as well and when he refuses to co-operate the QRL suspends him.

The media has reason to believe Milford, Wallace, Napa and Korbin Sims had broken curfew and continue to press the QRL.

Munster complains to the Storm CEO who sends in a please explain to Moore and despite Bestros being satisfied with the investigation is pressed into investigating the other players.

Hunt, Wallace, Hunt, Lee, Napa and Grevsmuhl put their hands up and cop a 12 month suspension.

All in all, it reads like a mess and either the media don't have the full story or the QRL were willing to cover up the six other players until the media kept turning up the pressure, leaving them with little choice.

The only thing Munster did wrong was stew on it and have others meddle in his affairs.

Would this curfew have anything to do with what QLD did before Game 3 in 2009? Or was it brought in earlier than that?

Maybe teach them discipline early to make sure it never happens again.

Last edited:
Lose a grand final and get told you won't be selected for origin this year, good one boys.

A midnight curfew during the off season for an adult is fucking ridiculous, it's just stupidity. I don't give a shit about 'it's an honour' 'respect the jersey' blah blah blah. It's a training camp during the preseason. The didn't get up to the wrong thing (besides Holmes), this is just pathetic.

As Huge said the entire thing is bizarre. Let them go out and get drunk then tuck them in and say night night boys.

Stupid.

It wasn't really a curfew though. They were back to camp, "go to bed". It wasn't like they were still out and told to get home by midnight. They were already back, and made the decision to go BACK out. They disobeyed a direct instruction, just hours after being drilled on "making the right decisions". For all we know it was a test, and they failed spectacularly.

Whether the QRL tried to cover it up doesn't matter. I don't want my head in the sand, blissfully unaware when players that I support **** up.

One positive, it should tighten up the way the QRL do things. Cover-ups have no place these days. In the same way that the players needed to put their hand up and admit their mistakes, so too should the QRL and admit shit went down, publicly. If players know they'll not only get caught, but also have their reputations tarnished publicly, you'd hope they'd be even less inclined to break rules. The ones that still do are just the dumbest of the dumb.

It wasn't really a curfew though. They were back to camp, "go to bed". It wasn't like they were still out and told to get home by midnight. They were already back, and made the decision to go BACK out. They disobeyed a direct instruction, just hours after being drilled on "making the right decisions". For all we know it was a test, and they failed spectacularly.

Whether the QRL tried to cover it up doesn't matter. I don't want my head in the sand, blissfully unaware when players that I support **** up.

One positive, it should tighten up the way the QRL do things. Cover-ups have no place these days. In the same way that the players needed to put their hand up and admit their mistakes, so too should the QRL and admit shit went down, publicly. If players know they'll not only get caught, but also have their reputations tarnished publicly, you'd hope they'd be even less inclined to break rules. The ones that still do are just the dumbest of the dumb.

I'm not excusing them for disobeying a direct instruction, I'm saying the direct instruction is ludicrous.

The situation is pathetic and I'm sure NSW are justifiably laughing at us.

Hypothetical question.
Qld lose game 1 and JT and Cronk both get injured.What happens?
Remembering in 2010 they told Israel Folau he wouldn't be considered for selection but they ended up picking him because someone got injured(can't remember who)

I'm not excusing them for disobeying a direct instruction, I'm saying the direct instruction is ludicrous.

The situation is pathetic and I'm sure NSW are justifiably laughing at us.

It doesn't matter. You're aspiring to be part of a team, THE BEST team, there may be instructions you don't agree with or understand. Just fucking do it.

Hypothetical question.
Qld lose game 1 and JT and Cronk both get injured.What happens?
Remembering in 2010 they told Israel Folau he wouldn't be considered for selection but they ended up picking him because someone got injured(can't remember who)

Morgan and DCE come into the halves.

I think that injured player you're referring to is Hodges.

It doesn't matter. You're aspiring to be part of a team, THE BEST team, there may be instructions you don't agree with or understand. Just fucking do it.

Yeah sounds great, but that's not how guys in their early 20's think. You tell them not to something that makes no sense not to do, they will do it.

It's ridiculous standards and a ridiculous rule.

Yeah sounds great, but that's not how guys in their early 20's think. You tell them not to something that makes no sense not to do, they will do it.

It's ridiculous standards and a ridiculous rule.
That's spot on. I believe Walters was overstepping his authority in telling the guys that they have to go home when he goes home. Look, I do get it about boundaries etc but once Walters gave the guys the grand speech earlier on it should have been left up to the individual to decide. I wasn't there but I don't imagine Walters told them something along the lines of 'you go out again now and you're going to be severely sanctioned' and then 8 guys decided to flaunt the edict. No, more likely Walters said good night. Anyway, it's just my opinion based on the facts as reported, as always there is more likely other facts omitted. It's done now and like the refs call, going back on it is unlikely.

It has had the effect of making Walters look stern and in charge and also hypocritical to boot !

I'm fully with Morkel on this one. Hunt especially, he's 25 now, only a year younger than Pearce. I'm beyond disappointed, hopefully the year out will put a rocket up them. Yes boys will be boys, but there are also boundaries - and they crossed them. The fact that the QRL attempted to cover it up also stinks tbh. I expect more from professional organisations, and professionals - these guys no doubt get this sort of thing drilled into them regularly, I'm stunned and disappointed.

If I'm on a work-sponsored trip for a conference or whatever and I played up after hours in my own time, I am still a representative of my employer at that time and would be held accountable for my actions both privately and by my employer. Same goes for these guys. Give them a firm kick up the arse. Very, very disappointing IMO.

Very disappointing hunt is involved in this.

That's spot on. I believe Walters was overstepping his authority in telling the guys that they have to go home when he goes home. Look, I do get it about boundaries etc but once Walters gave the guys the grand speech earlier on it should have been left up to the individual to decide. I wasn't there but I don't imagine Walters told them something along the lines of 'you go out again now and you're going to be severely sanctioned' and then 8 guys decided to flaunt the edict. No, more likely Walters said good night. Anyway, it's just my opinion based on the facts as reported, as always there is more likely other facts omitted. It's done now and like the refs call, going back on it is unlikely.

It has had the effect of making Walters look stern and in charge and also hypocritical to boot !

Overstepping his authority? lol he is the one responsible for their well-being while they're in camp, whether they are there or in the city, following his instructions or not. If one of them had've got injured during the time they were out, they or their club could likely have sued the QRL under WH&S laws for not putting enough in place to ensure their safety.

As the person responsible for them during the time they are in camp, Kevvie has the authority to make whatever calls he desires to ensure their safety and well-being. If they wanted to go out on the piss together they should have done it in their own time, not on the QRL's. Kevvie's fully justified in his stance on this.

Overstepping his authority? lol he is the one responsible for their well-being while they're in camp, whether they are there or in the city, following his instructions or not. If one of them had've got injured during the time they were out, they or their club could likely have sued the QRL under WH&S laws for not putting enough in place to ensure their safety.

As the person responsible for them during the time they are in camp, Kevvie has the authority to make whatever calls he desires to ensure their safety and well-being. If they wanted to go out on the piss together they should have done it in their own time, not on the QRL's. Kevvie's fully justified in his stance on this.
Ha ha ha...you are taking the piss, surely ! Quoting WH &S while sanctioning 4-6 hours of drinking ! Ha ha ..do you not read what you wrote ? So, if they are injured, while pissed up its okay but straight after Walters says, off to bed , nekminnit.... In my opinion he overstepped his authority, sure he may have felt comfortable suggesting they call it a night but issuing an edict to guys after 4-6 hours of drinking is optimistic at best.

The people saying let them go and cut loose; how long do you think emerging camps would last if the QRL returned players after a two day bender? NRL clubs would have every right to say you're not getting our guys.

They had dinner at the hotel together then went out for beers- driven on bus there and home. Night was closed at 12 and they were all on flights home early Sunday. Returned to their club having trained and bonded with future Queensland team mates.

Shouldn't the focus be on the lack of respect for Kevvie?
The lack of listening to the discussion in the afternoon about the Pearce incident and how it can be avoided?
They should have stayed in the hotel at 12. It's that simple.

These incidents will make clubs question releasing players.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncoscope
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • broncs30
  • Socnorb
  • bert_lifts
  • Fozz
  • Porthoz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Maroon4life
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.