State of Origin Maroon emerging squad

Ha ha ha...you are taking the piss, surely ! Quoting WH &S while sanctioning 4-6 hours of drinking ! Ha ha ..do you not read what you wrote ? So, if they are injured, while pissed up its okay but straight after Walters says, off to bed , nekminnit.... In my opinion he overstepped his authority, sure he may have felt comfortable suggesting they call it a night but issuing an edict to guys after 4-6 hours of drinking is optimistic at best.

Nope, I'm serious. He made the call to be out drinking for 4-6 hours, he's entitled to do that, same as he's entitled to tell them that enough is enough after that. He's the man in control, he can do whatever he likes. If they players don't like it, they can sit out and someone who will abide by the rules that are set will come in - hence the ban. I'm a fan of the harsh penalties.

I get where you're coming from. But I'm also a manager in my day job and I have ultimate responsibility for my guys. I don't mind if they let off a bit of steam in an environment where they're able to (preferably supervised such as the 4-6hrs). But when I say enough is enough, heads will fucking roll if they don't pull them in because I'm responsible (and will be held responsible) even if they're not doing the right thing. I protect myself by enforcing the rules, and for my own liability if the guys play up they will be replaced by those who won't. Does it make me a ****? Probably. I don't care, because I'm not going to end up in jail because my guys didn't do what I asked.

IMO Kevvie is in the same sort of situation. The 4 - 6 hours was controlled with QRL staff around (I'm assuming this would have been the case) to tap guys on the shoulder if they started to play up. There's no such control when guys head out on their own - hence Holmes getting himself into strife. That wouldn't have happened during the 4 - 6 hours because someone else would have pulled him into line earlier.

The people saying let them go and cut loose; how long do you think emerging camps would last if the QRL returned players after a two day bender? NRL clubs would have every right to say you're not getting our guys.

They had dinner at the hotel together then went out for beers- driven on bus there and home. Night was closed at 12 and they were all on flights home early Sunday. Returned to their club having trained and bonded with future Queensland team mates.

Shouldn't the focus be on the lack of respect for Kevvie?
The lack of listening to the discussion in the afternoon about the Pearce incident and how it can be avoided?
They should have stayed in the hotel at 12. It's that simple.

These incidents will make clubs question releasing players.

Exactly 1910, this is troubling indeed. I wonder if it's part of the reason the QRL didn't go for him first time around. If that's the case, I'm more than a little concerned. It's not a good look for either the QRL or the players involved. Disappointed doesn't even come close for me.

Exactly 1910, this is troubling indeed. I wonder if it's part of the reason the QRL didn't go for him first time around. If that's the case, I'm more than a little concerned. It's not a good look for either the QRL or the players involved. Disappointed doesn't even come close for me.

I didn't mean that as a slight on Kevvie; he did nothing wrong at all. He was very clear and it was all smooth until they did the wrong thing. Every coach has had it happen and Bennett was there on Saturday too so they showed a lack of respect for him too.

I didn't mean that as a slight on Kevvie; he did nothing wrong at all. He was very clear and it was all smooth until they did the wrong thing. Every coach has had it happen and Bennett was there on Saturday too so they showed a lack of respect for him too.

Oh I know, I back Kevvie 100% here. People management is often the hardest part of management, I know it is for me as I'm not a strongly people-orientated person. And despite doing everything right, sometimes people still screw up - that's human nature. Just disappointing so soon after the Pearce incident is all. The guys really should have known better IMO. Hopefully it's the wake up call they need. It will be even more so if we get an injury to a key player and drop the shield again this year...

Two points where the players could have stopped this; not done the wrong thing Saturday night once home and Sunday when asked to step forward not been dishonest.

They could have stopped it there both times.

Hunt took two days to ring Kevvie and be honest. While the others confessed once interviewed.

Yeah sounds great, but that's not how guys in their early 20's think. You tell them not to something that makes no sense not to do, they will do it.

It's ridiculous standards and a ridiculous rule.

If that is the case then they're not even close to ready for Origin, 20 years old or 25. I hope this is merely a blip on the radar for Hunt.

If that is the case then they're not even close to ready for Origin, 20 years old or 25. I hope this is merely a blip on the radar for Hunt.

Why? Do you think the origin boys are in bed by 12 every night at camp? Aren't big nights on the booze where the so called QLD bond formed?

Why? Do you think the origin boys are in bed by 12 every night at camp? Aren't big nights on the booze where the so called QLD bond formed?

Plenty of standards and expectations in camp; if they can't do that while plenty of others do then they don't belong there.

Plenty of players in their 20's manage camp too and the terrible regime.

Jono and Smith were consulted and agreed with the punishment. Can you see either of them in camp saying good plan Mal but get stuffed?

Last edited:
So Norman wants to play Origin.. But I can't ever see him coming close.

Even if Thurston goes down injured this year, he has Morgan, DCE and MBye ahead of him. And after their bans are completed, he will have Milford and Hunt ahead of him.

Norman needs a good coach. Someone who will remind him how mediocre a player he really is.

So Oates is not one of the Thoughtless ten? He is free to play this year? Because I think he very well will be in the team this year.

So Norman wants to play Origin.. But I can't ever see him coming close.

Even if Thurston goes down injured this year, he has Morgan, DCE and MBye ahead of him. And after their bans are completed, he will have Milford and Hunt ahead of him.

Yeah, I doubt he's any chance. Doing well as a support sort of player in the Nines doesn't mean anything when it comes to Origin. Maybe if he gave up on his "dream" of being a half and just worked hard on being a centre instead...

I'm not sure why people think Oates is going to play origin this year, it's just not gonna happen whilst the current crop is around.

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai

The only scenario in which he gets a run this year is if there's injuries, even then I wouldn't be surprised if Kev opted for a safer option like Justin O'Neill.

And after all these bans are up, it's still not going to be easy to crack the side, there's plenty of good young Centres & Wingers coming through, not all of them will turn into Origin players, but a couple of them probably will. Off the top of my head -

Valentine Holmes
Cameron Munster
Kurt Mann
Nene Macdonald
Kirisome Auva'a
Dale Copley
Edrick Lee
Brenko Lee
Gideon Gela-Mosby

I'm not sure why people think Oates is going to play origin this year, it's just not gonna happen whilst the current crop is around.

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai

The only scenario in which he gets a run this year is if there's injuries, even then I wouldn't be surprised if Kev opted for a safer option like Justin O'Neill.

And after all these bans are up, it's still not going to be easy to crack the side, there's plenty of good young Centres & Wingers coming through, not all of them will turn into Origin players, but a couple of them probably will. Off the top of my head -

Valentine Holmes
Cameron Munster
Kurt Mann
Nene Macdonald
Kirisome Auva'a
Dale Copley
Edrick Lee
Brenko Lee
Gideon Gela-Mosby

I'm sorry I probably got this wrong, but did you just say Justin O'Neill was a safer option than Corey Oates? Surely I got that wrong.

Again, Edrick Lee is on people's radars for Origin?

Well, no, if you read my post I said "There's plenty of good young Centres & Wingers coming through, not all of them will turn into Origin players, but a couple of them probably will."

I'm sorry I probably got this wrong, but did you just say Justin O'Neill was a safer option than Corey Oates? Surely I got that wrong.

Yeah, in terms of defensive positioning, quicker acceleration and other things that make up a "Safer option", Justin is probably the better choice, he obviously doesn't have the attacking or metre eating capabilities of Oates, but alas, our Origin side probably isn't craving more attacking options at the moment.

Oates will feature in Origin sooner rather than later. Players like him are just born to play at this level and provided injuries are kind the selectors will find any way to get him into the team. Whether he plays in the backs is another question, but it wouldn't surprise me given who is infront of him. While Gagai is a quality talent in his own right, he simply isn't a winger and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him moved on this series.

If Holmes was available, he would have been a shoe-in to replace Dane and I can see him being the long term option but in a bind, the selectors will consider Oates as one of the front-runners.

The media have over inflated the issue, but I feel the punishment is appropriate to the crime.

At the end of the day, the boys didn't get up to too much mischief, but it's the principle of the matter.

Success at any level, much less Origin, requires sacrifice. The players had the opportunity to prove they were committed to the cause and understood the opportunity presented to them.

Being out of contention for a year for a minor infraction should let them know that their time is limited. If they want to be a part of the side, then they need to get their attitude right.

Coming down on this stuff from the get go is how you cultivate a strong culture. Let the small things slide leads to worse behaviour later on down the line.

Active Now

• Mister Wright
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Griffo
  • Broncosgirl
  • MasterWright
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.