Not open for further replies.
Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Meat77 said:
Nashy said:
Stuff the central cost. We need to expand into other states.

Correct. The Adelaide Rams were actually reasonably successful back in the day so they are worth another shot. The time could be right to resurrect the Western Reds too.

I thought the Rams failed pretty badly?

Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
Scotty said:
Meat77 said:
Nashy said:
Stuff the central cost. We need to expand into other states.

Correct. The Adelaide Rams were actually reasonably successful back in the day so they are worth another shot. The time could be right to resurrect the Western Reds too.

I thought the Rams failed pretty badly?

No they were actually getting good crowds during the SL season - they just fell victim to the merger between the ARL and SL

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Kill the Sharks bring back the Rams!

Gimme the Rams,Warriors,Broncos and a PNG team and i will be a happy boy.

A

Assassin

NYC Player
Nov 11, 2008
Huge. said:
I averaged out the payments they made and it equates to roughly ONE quality player per year extra in the make-up of the Storms team.

bullshit... they had about 700K over the cap scheduled for 2010.... thats 2 or 3 TOP line players....and i mean top line marquee, i.e take out cam smith and billy slater from every game this year. It wouldn't even be the same team if they pulled under the cap.

4.3 mill aprox for your top 25 players... top two players are worth 400K each so drop them both save 800K then 2 noobs on 50K each fill the replacment spots in the top 25 gives you the 700K difference.

Drop the 2 best players from anyteam and that team will normally always fail to win games let alone premierships. Would the broncs have won in 06 without locky and hodges...would manly have won their year without orford and brett stewart...i think not.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Assassin said:
bullshit... they had about 700K over the cap scheduled for 2010.... thats 2 or 3 TOP line players....and i mean top line marquee, i.e take out cam smith and billy slater from every game this year. It wouldn't even be the same team if they pulled under the cap.
yes but for 06/07/08 it was $600k over COMBINED. given they won in 07, upgrades would be given for 08. so lets say 300k of that is 08, and 200k for 07 (after winning the minor premiership in 06) and 100k for 06. thats one top player for 08, 1 good regular in 07, and 1 nuffie in 06.

A

Assassin

NYC Player
Nov 11, 2008
... good point... still... its 2 or 3 for this year ;)

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
oh no doubt. this years $700k over is ridiculous. thats probably Inglis and Slater.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Anonymous person said:
Assassin said:
yes but for 06/07/08 it was $600k over COMBINED. given they won in 07, upgrades would be given for 08. so lets say 300k of that is 08, and 200k for 07 (after winning the minor premiership in 06) and 100k for 06. thats one top player for 08, 1 good regular in 07, and 1 nuffie in 06.

And if they got caught in 06,07,08 i'm sure the penalty would have been less. The fact is the amount went up each year that they did not get caught. They pushed the system as far as they could and in the end are paying the cost.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I don't feel any sympathy for the Storm.

They rorted the system & got caught.

Broncos had to let players go due to the cap, yet the Storm got more & more players.

I think this will be the end for the Storm.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I really think the Storm will die due to this. Disgraceful from Brian Waldron he has destroyed the Storm. I can't see how they will make it through this honestly.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
I hear channel 9s next crime series is going to be based on this. It's going to be called UnderBellamy

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Je$ter said:
lynx000 said:
One issue no one else has raised, is how is it fair for the other teams to play the Storm and risk losing two competition points if the Storm have a team that is $700,000 over the salary cap this year. Surely they should be forced to get rid of 2 or 3 players immediately to bring them under the cap for this season. How would you feel if brisbane miss the 8 because we get beaten by the storm with their full squad? Why not give those players to Cronulla to try and strengthen them (with Melbourne having to pay their contracts for this year).

Because Cronulla is flat out giving their players a pie and coke after the game they are that poor. They wouldn't be able to take 1 or 2 decent players cause htey can barely afford it.

That is why I said with Melbourne still being responsible for paying their contracts for this year.

A

Assassin

NYC Player
Nov 11, 2008
what has 26 legs and cant climb a ladder???

The melbourne storm!

Sorry I had to go there

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Coxy said:
The more I think about it, I don't like this season's punishment. Losing their 8 points they have now, fine, justified.

So the Broncos play the Storm in round 9. Storm can't win 2 points. But Broncos can come away with none. Broncos bust their arse, suffer a serious injury, lose the game and come away with 0 points and their season is damaged. All by a team that is $700K over the salary cap.

It's ridiculous.

I really believe it should be:
Storm have to release player(s) to reduce their salary expenditure in 2010 to a legal level
Until that time:
- Storm forfeit the points for their games to their opposition
- Opposition still must play the game, but are entitled to field a reduced quality team (rest their better players), and the for and against doesn't count. Effectively a trial game.

Once the Storm have their squad legal, they can play full games for points.

Hence my earlier post. But, not just reduce the amount being paid to the players, but be forced to shed some players as well.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Assassin said:
what has 26 legs and cant climb a ladder???

The melbourne storm!

Sorry I had to go there

It's 2010 though, so it's a 17 man game these days :P

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I still can't believe the players didn't know.

Didn't they realise they had extra money, when they were paid every 3 months.

Unless they are really dumb.

My Dad said in a sms that the NRL should have waited until the final round before telling the Storm that they have no points. [icon_lol1.

And he liked that Storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • leon.bott
  • Mustafur
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
  • MrMoore
  • Xzei
  • sooticus
  • Bucking Beads
  • mieko
  • Scorchie
  • Morkel
  • kiwi2
  • levikaden
  • bb_gun
  • Aldo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • broncos4life
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.