Suncorp could hold the decider.

He says that every couple of years... i'll believe that the grand final will come QLD when it ACTUALLY happens

Honestly, I think it should stay in Sydney. I love the fact that we held the WC final and they bring a lot of matches, international and otherwise, to Suncorp but IMO the tradition of a Sydney GF should remain. Even if it's Broncos v Titans.

I mean, the AFL would pack out Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane or Sydney if they were to hold their decider there, but it will stay at the MCG for good reason.

Umm, QLDérs like footy too... That could be why I guess.. no?

50,000 Brisbanites beat 80,000 Sydeysiders!

I think all Origin games should be at Suncorp too. There's bugger all atmosphere in Sydney for it, nobody down there cares.

Have you been to a grand final Rock? I sure as hell haven't. I couldn't afford to fly down and get accommodation on top of a ticket on a students wage. Bring one to brisbane i say! They did say it's still a few years off so plenty could change between now and then.

Rock lives in Sydney so goes most years I think.
I've been to 3 GFs in Sydney - 1999, 2000 and 2006. It's a great day out I have to say.

Yep, the NRL needs a partnership with an airline to offer a cheap flight, transfers and tickets for major games in Sydney.

Absolutely. There should be more offers for people looking to travel down for the GF. If you're on a student wage and you want to head down, then simply save up throughout the course of the year. It can be done - and particularly now that the game is at twilight you can actually fly home that evening, thus saving accommodation costs.

Brisbane should remain as the international base for RL - the home of representative RL in the country, if you will. But even as a staunch Qld'er, I strongly support the GF remaining in Sydney.

The Rock said:
Nashy said:

Um....... 50,000 Vs 80,000 = Which stadium will get more revenue? They'd have to DOUBLE the price of GF tickets and food/drinks etc to go anywhere near making the amount of money they do from the GF in Sydney.

If the NRL are stupid enough to let revenue slip in a big way for 1 year then go for it.

Rugby League interest in QLD is MASSIVE at the moment - it doesn't need any more help. Suncorp should be the permanent base for any Test matches or World Cup Finals etc but a Grand Final doesn't make much sense.

Money wise it doesn't. Fan wise it does.

If the NRL had any sense (which they don't), they would reduce the number of teams that make the finals and make the grand final a best of three event! You could then have a Sydney AND Brisbane final, get shitloads more money from gate takings and tv rights, plus if it goes 1-1, ANOTHER grand final in sydney, with even MORE gate takings and revenue.

I don't see the point in moving it from Sydney, unless two QLD sides make the GF, then it should definitely be moved.

The Rock said:
[quote="bob the Smasher":2katg8u8]I don't see the point in moving it from Sydney, unless two QLD sides make the GF, then it should definitely be moved.

Except that can never be known until 1 week before the actual GF so that can never happen.

Even with 2 QLD teams - Sydney will still sell it out. So still there's little point in ever moving it.[/quote:2katg8u8]

Agreed. Add to that the fact that I think it's even that much more special when you have to travel to make it there. Planes full of Broncos jerseys... you feel like you're invading the town!

If it was a Broncos v Cowboys or Titans grand final, the place would be jam packed regardless.

Ari Gold said:
If the NRL had any sense (which they don't), they would reduce the number of teams that make the finals and make the grand final a best of three event! You could then have a Sydney AND Brisbane final, get shitloads more money from gate takings and tv rights, plus if it goes 1-1, ANOTHER grand final in sydney, with even MORE gate takings and revenue.

Mate, IMO, multiple GF's are only warranted in sports which by nature have close scores (basketball, wogball, etc). to have three GF's to decide an overall winner is crazy and further more, semis are usually closer than GF's, so the argument would be to have multiple semis, prior to the GF "series".

We'd end up with a 40 week season! [icon_lol1.

Leave it where it is I reckon. Sydney RL is bleeding in so many areas - it can't afford to lose the GF.

The Rock said:
I've been to 5 Grand Finals and they have all been absolutely tremendous. The Atmosphere has always been great.(don't care what anyone says, but when you fill that place up with 80,000 the Atmosphere is excellent).

Clintos - I understand what you're saying, but just because some people from Brisbane haven't been to a GF, the NRL simply cannot justify moving it for 1 year just to satisfy the people of Brisbane.

What the NRL should do is somehow put some concession in place so people from QLD can get down to the GF without spending a fortune.

Oh yeah, for sure. I wasn't really arguing the issue. From an economical sustainability point of view it's a stupid idea. I was just saying that since I couldn't afford it, I never went, and for that reason alone it should come to Brisbane...just for my own convenience. icon_thumbs_u [icon_lol1.

I do like the concession idea though. It will never happen though seeing as how they are at capacity every year the way it is. Maybe if the grand finals stopped selling out every year then they would look at something like that to increase the gate takings. That's what we should do. Everyone needs to boycott the finals for the next few years until they offer packages to suit QLD and VIC fans.

The Rock said:
Nashy said:
[quote="The Rock":2pcgw892]
Nashy said:

Um....... 50,000 Vs 80,000 = Which stadium will get more revenue? They'd have to DOUBLE the price of GF tickets and food/drinks etc to go anywhere near making the amount of money they do from the GF in Sydney.

If the NRL are stupid enough to let revenue slip in a big way for 1 year then go for it.

Rugby League interest in QLD is MASSIVE at the moment - it doesn't need any more help. Suncorp should be the permanent base for any Test matches or World Cup Finals etc but a Grand Final doesn't make much sense.

Money wise it doesn't. Fan wise it does.

Are you kidding? Rugby League is BOOMING in QLD at the moment. 3 successfully teams now, sell out World Cup matches and the usual sell out origin matches, sell out test matches....my god. QLD does not need any more help at the moment with recruiting fans![/quote:2pcgw892]

I didn't say anything about recruiting fans. I'm saying that QLD fans deserve it too.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • Lozza
  • Battler
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.