NEWS Sunday Mail: Fifita still dithering

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Badel and Meyn in the Sunday Mail take a break from making up shit about a second Brisbane team to trolling Broncos fans by milking a few more drops of angst over David Fifita's signature:

Quoting David Fifita in an interview:

“I’m not too sure what I’m going to do to be honest. I want to play this year out and see what happens. I’ve been (with the Broncos) ever since I was young, coming through the juniors. They have been really good for me since I was young until now. I’m happy at the Broncos. I’m happy in general. We’ll see what happens. It’s a business at the end of the day, you know how it works.”

When asked if he owed the Broncos for bailing him out of the Bali drunk tank, he said:

“They had to do what they’ve got to do – that’s their job, to look after their players. The wellbeing officer, Adam Walsh, did a really good job with me over there. They have been supportive because I’m with the Broncos and that’s their job – to be supportive of a player of theirs. I feel that support. I’ve got to play good footy. That’s how I can repay them.”

His mentor and mother Gwen, chimed in:

“I absolutely think he will stay at the Broncos, he enjoys everything about the club and what it stands for, the culture, the staff and the support he gets from there. Dave has said ‘mum what do you think? Whatever you say I will consider that’. He will look to me for direction but ultimately it’s his decision. We’re not in a rush, he is just enjoying his football, enjoying his training and getting his body right. It’s a huge year for him, so for now he wants to have a good pre-season and then we will sort things out later in the year. The Broncos have been very good. They have been communicating with us all the time and they aren’t putting pressure on Dave."

"The Broncos are close to home. At the end of the day, Brisbane and Queensland is his home, it’s perfect for him. He still lives at home. It’s cheaper for Dave to live at home and he has stability here. People forget how young Dave is. He’s only 19. can’t begin to imagine Dave living in New Zealand, he wouldn’t live overseas for starters, it’s not in his character to live overseas. The stress of Sydney would be overwhelming for Dave. The cost of living and the traffic is crazy in Sydney. Just everything about the place ... it’s not what Dave is used to. At the end of the day, you always discuss options and look at what is best for him."

I have two words, one for each of Badel and Meyn: go & fuckyourselves.

McHunt

Last edited:
Badel and Meyn in the Sunday Mail take a break from making up shit about a second Brisbane team to trolling Broncos fans by milking a few more drops of angst over David Fifita's signature:

Quoting David Fifita in an interview:

“I’m not too sure what I’m going to do to be honest. I want to play this year out and see what happens. I’ve been (with the Broncos) ever since I was young, coming through the juniors. They have been really good for me since I was young until now. I’m happy at the Broncos. I’m happy in general. We’ll see what happens. It’s a business at the end of the day, you know how it works.”

When asked if he owed the Broncos for bailing him out of the Bali drunk tank, he said:

“They had to do what they’ve got to do – that’s their job, to look after their players. The wellbeing officer, Adam Walsh, did a really good job with me over there. They have been supportive because I’m with the Broncos and that’s their job – to be supportive of a player of theirs. I feel that support. I’ve got to play good footy. That’s how I can repay them.”

His mentor and mother Gwen, chimed in:

“I absolutely think he will stay at the Broncos, he enjoys everything about the club and what it stands for, the culture, the staff and the support he gets from there. Dave has said ‘mum what do you think? Whatever you say I will consider that’. He will look to me for direction but ultimately it’s his decision. We’re not in a rush, he is just enjoying his football, enjoying his training and getting his body right. It’s a huge year for him, so for now he wants to have a good pre-season and then we will sort things out later in the year. The Broncos have been very good. They have been communicating with us all the time and they aren’t putting pressure on Dave."

"The Broncos are close to home. At the end of the day, Brisbane and Queensland is his home, it’s perfect for him. He still lives at home. It’s cheaper for Dave to live at home and he has stability here. People forget how young Dave is. He’s only 19. can’t begin to imagine Dave living in New Zealand, he wouldn’t live overseas for starters, it’s not in his character to live overseas. The stress of Sydney would be overwhelming for Dave. The cost of living and the traffic is crazy in Sydney. Just everything about the place ... it’s not what Dave is used to. At the end of the day, you always discuss options and look at what is best for him."

I have two words, one for each of Badel and Meyn: go & fuckyourselves.

McHunt

Why? I mean I hate those ***** as much as the next guy but they didn’t make up the quotes, they didn’t put a gun to Fifita’s head and make him speak like an entitled, ungrateful fuckhead. Hate those guys all you want but if you don’t like this article be made at the fuckhead saying this stupid shit.

I really think the NRL has to have more Salary Cap provision for Long term players. At the moment there is a $200,000 exemption for top 30 players that have been with a club 8 years or more, It's not good enough. If you want to entice a player to stick around like Fifita, there needs to be more allowance. Maybe $200,000 for 4 yrs and and it goes up $100,000 a year after that. Not sure the answer, Some clever accountant can sit down and work it out, but I'de love to see more player loyalty. If it's a business at the end of the day like Fifita says than it makes business sense to reward loyalty. I'm sure the Fans will appreciate it

Why? I mean I hate those ***** as much as the next guy but they didn’t make up the quotes, they didn’t put a gun to Fifita’s head and make him speak like an entitled, ungrateful fuckhead. Hate those guys all you want but if you don’t like this article be made at the fuckhead saying this stupid shit.
Because nothing has changed since they last announced he was as good as signed. There is no other way he can answer this question while under negotiation. All they've done is re-run the same information with a different spin.

It's also running concurrently with this, by the same author (note picture):

Last edited:
Because nothing has changed since they last announced he was as good as signed. There is no other way he can answer this question while under negotiation. All they've done is re-run the same information with a different spin.

Those are new quotes to my knowledge

Seems there's more to this story, a continuation with a focus on the Bali incident:

David Fifita:

“It was scary over there. People really don’t know what happened."

Gwen:

“It was a terrible situation and I will always appreciate what the Broncos did to get my son out of jail. He was very worried he wouldn’t get back home. The police were telling him he would go to prison. They were blackmailing him and threatening him and saying you won’t get out. David never had one issue as a kid growing up. He has never seen the inside of a police car in Brisbane. He has never been to a police station. He has no criminal record. He has never been questioned by police over an incident. Nothing."

“I brought my boys up to respect and care for people. The simple fact is I know my son better than anyone. David is not a fighter. Yes, he is a big guy on the football field, but ever since he was a boy he hated confrontation. He doesn’t like people arguing. He tries to keep the peace all the time. I do believe it was extortion or something along those lines.”

“Before Dave left for Bali, I said to him, ‘Be very careful and be very wary of people over there. I said, ‘Don’t trust anybody, stay very close to Payne and enjoy your time’.”

“When I got the call, I was petrified. I couldn’t believe what Lincoln was telling me. His words were, ‘Gwen, I have some news, I just got off the phone to David and he is in a bit of trouble. He has been detained by police’. I was emotional. I was devastated. I couldn’t sleep. I was so far away and felt helpless, I was worried sick. I said ‘what are we going to do? It was the worst moment of my life and David’s life. David was crying, he was terrified … very stressed.”

“It all started in the nightclub. I asked how he was treated in the nightclub. Dave said the same men who arrested him were the same guys in the nightclub who put him and Payne in a VIP area. Inside the club, they didn’t say they were police. They were chaperoning him and Payne. Then, when David went outside, they grabbed him and said you are coming with us, we are the police, you hit a security guard."

“The stories changed as well. At first, they said he hit a security guard inside the club. Then they said it was while he was on the bike. There was no evidence David hit anyone. The footage doesn’t even show he hit the security guard. If you are on a bike and you try and hit someone, you are a fair chance of falling off the bike at speed."

“The people that drove him to the police station had no uniforms. They were screaming and yelling in their language at him. They were pulling him and grabbing him. He was intoxicated. He was so scared. When David arrived at Kuta police station, a solicitor was already waiting there. An Australian solicitor. It was 4am. How does a solicitor get there so quick? He said, ‘This can all go away if you pay $30,000’. When I finally got to talk to him over there, Dave said, ‘Mum, I swear I didn’t hit anyone. They have set me up’."

“I believe it was all about money.”

David said:

“You know how it all goes down in Bali. The jail was dirty, really dirty. The cell was disgusting."

Gwen said:

“By the third day, he was feeling very sick. The floor was so dirty his toe got infected from the filth and he had spots all over his body. There was no pillow, no mat, no towel to sit on. Dave says being stuck in that cage was the worst moment of his life. They wanted money the whole time. When they were working out the payment (for his release), they wanted more money. The amounts would change. It was such a fraud.”

“The truth is David paid the $30,000 out of his savings account. The Broncos did not pay it.
“David is actually a good saver and he had enough money saved up. He budgets his money really well. He doesn’t blow his money. He saves a lot and likes knowing where his money goes. He doesn’t spend it on crap. Thankfully he had money set aside to get himself out of trouble.”

David said:

“I learnt when everything is going well everyone wants to talk to you, when everything is going bad they don’t want anything to do with you. That’s what I really learnt. I know who the real (loved) ones are. My family has always been supportive. I’m feeling all right since what happened in the off-season. I’m over it, but people keep bringing it up. It’s done now. I can move on. I’m happy it’s all over and sort of put to bed. No matter what happens you’ve got to keep standing up on your own two feet and keep moving forward.”

Finally, from Gwen:

“When he walked out of Kuta police station and the sun shone on him, I can’t describe how happy and relieved I was. It was tears of joy. I don’t think he will ever go back to Bali. He has learnt a big lesson.”

McHunt

Last edited:
They’re also running a piece at the moment about the “true story” of Bali.

Edit: yeah, that one ....

Last edited:
The thing that I don't like about this is fifita quotes. "they were just doing their job".... No, no they weren't. They went above and beyond with their job. Make no mistake about it, storm are the only other club who would do that. I really do not like the players he is hanging about on the all stars camp. I'm guessing they've had a word in his ear before this interview saying along the lines "damn right the broncos better get you out of it, your David fifitaaaa! That's the least they can do, milk them dry, you owe them nothing"......

Imagine a job where you can go overseas, get your ass paraded around by the cops, and come home without any major ramifications.

Sounds a bit entitled if you ask me. Wonder how long he hangs around.

Last edited:
I really think the NRL has to have more Salary Cap provision for Long term players. At the moment there is a $200,000 exemption for top 30 players that have been with a club 8 years or more, It's not good enough. If you want to entice a player to stick around like Fifita, there needs to be more allowance. Maybe $200,000 for 4 yrs and and it goes up $100,000 a year after that. Not sure the answer, Some clever accountant can sit down and work it out, but I'de love to see more player loyalty. If it's a business at the end of the day like Fifita says than it makes business sense to reward loyalty. I'm sure the Fans will appreciate it
The NSWRL probably don’t want Fifita to stay in Brisbane... they’ve got 8 shit teams running around in Sydney that couldn’t keep a chook raffle profitable, but they’ve also got $80 million in cap across those same shit teams so they need to be able to entice players to leave and more money seems to be the only answer they can come up with

I don’t trust anything these guys spout but..As far as I’m concerned it’s taking too long to get him signed and he should have signed as soon as the broncos got him out of the fucking mess he was in! Imagine he doesn’t sign with the broncs what a giant ball of phlegm he would be spitting in their faces. (Graphic) I know. I’m being dramatic but it’s just taking far too long and feels very disrespectful and entitled, for all he knows he could still be over there waiting for someone to bail him out of corrupt Bali jail cell.its Rude

He can **** off as far as I’m concerned. I know how this goes people will say don’t believe the media or it is manager talk blah blah blah but **** that, the club went above and behind for this entitled asshole and this is how he repays them. I don’t care that he is most likely a once in a generation player, at some point the club has to stand for something more.

Whether he stays or goes I am completely off him.

A bit premature. He could be an entitled jerk. He could also be trying to plant seeds so that when he does re-sign, media idiots and other clubs know he has done it to be a Bronco and it because he got bailed out.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.