Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Brisbane must adjust their halves and give the young forwards some support

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Tallis actually makes some sense here. Again, not a fan of the Boyd to 5/8th thing - he can sum up the numbers at fullback, but there's more to being a half than that. And it's probably too late for Milford to go back to fullback now.

But the rest is pretty much correct.

Boyd shouldn’t be anywhere near 5/8th. We have genuine halfbacks in the reserves. Give them a run with Milford at 5/8th. And for the millionth time, Macca can’t play 80 minutes!

View attachment 4759

April 5, 2019

The Broncos have two big problems — their halves and their forward pack.

One issue can be fixed in the short-term — that’s the halves. But the young forward pack is going to take years before it can live up to the hype and expectation around it.

Years. Not a couple of months, years.

But let’s tackle the halves issue first.

Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima are both ballrunners. They don’t seem to play to structure as well as other halves.

They are both great with ball in hand and create nightmares in open play.

But game management, creating for others and opening the contest up isn’t their strong suit.

Milford came to the Broncos as a fullback. Nikorima is an ideal no. 14. That utility man off the bench.

How long have we been talking about them not being able to get the job done? It’s been years. Something has to change.

Anthony Seibold should take a leaf out of the book of Newcastle coach Nathan Brown.

Browny tried Kalyn Ponga at five-eighth in the first three rounds.

It wasn’t a raging success so he has shifted him back to fullback. He put his ego in his pocket and did the right thing for the team.

Do you put Milford back to fullback and Darius Boyd into five-eighth with Sean O’Sullivan into halfback and Nikorima back to the bench?

Whatever is best for the team has to be the no.1 priority because right now, the halves are not helping their forwards.

The really good playmakers take the pressure off their packs with good kicks into the right places at the right time.

The Broncos kicking game right now isn’t doing that.

Darren Lockyer would do that for the Broncos, Ricky Stuart did for the Raiders, Andrew Johns did it for Newcastle.

They’d turn you around all day and force you to make tough carries out of your own territory. They’d put pressure on you all day, make you work. Take the sting out of you.

That isn’t happening with Brisbane right now. Because Milford and Nikorima are being asked to do a job they aren’t suited to doing.

Now to the forwards.

With the exception of Matt Gillett, none of those current guys make the Broncos forward packs that won premierships in the early 1990s and again in the late 1990s.

So please don’t make the comparison with this Brisbane forward pack and those led by the likes of Shane Webcke and Glenn Lazarus.

It’s not fair on the young blokes. Not fair at all. It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

Sure, they have plenty of talent of talent and potential. But they don’t have the runs on the board. And those runs are usually hard-earned after years of learning your craft.

Most forwards don’t hit their peak until after their late 20s so as good as they were in the junior ranks, rival forward packs are sick of hearing about these Broncos forwards and want to teach them a lesson.

The Storm did it. The Dragons did it and the Roosters most certainly dominated the forward battle at the SCG on Thursday night.

There’s nowhere to run and nowhere to hide in the middle of the park at NRL level.

And at the moment, the young Broncos are being asked to do a job that they do not have the footballing maturity to do.

In years gone by, they’d still be running around in the Queensland Cup in their late teens or early 20s, learning what playing against grown men is all about.

So true. Potential can only get you so far. There comes a time when you have to strap on your big boy pants, roll your sleeves up and actually justify your exsistence in the NRL! I get the feeling this bunch of blokes love to read about themselves in the CM a bit too much whilst sipping on latte’s every morning!!!!

If Boyd goes to 6, i will stop watching. He cant even kick ffs. What makes him a good 6? Cause he can throw a cutout during the sweep? He has nothing else besides that and he has no game management as well. Locky was a success cause he always had a great kicking and passing game at FB.
Boyd at his age can only play FB or wing. Put a geniune 7 in there and move Kodi to bench. We cant move both halfbacks at the same time.

If Boyd goes to 6, i will stop watching. He cant even kick ffs. What makes him a good 6? Cause he can throw a cutout during the sweep? He has nothing else besides that and he has no game management as well. Locky was a success cause he always had a great kicking and passing game at FB.
Boyd at his age can only play FB or wing. Put a geniune 7 in there and move Kodi to bench. We cant move both halfbacks at the same time.
At present Boyd's best and probably only position in this team is left centre

Last edited:
At present Boyd's best and probably only position in this team is left centre
I have to disagree it's left in the dressing rooms. He's done ffs we need to cast him off.

Well, I can't recall anyone comparing the current forward pack to those led by Webcke or Lazarus. All I recall is that our current pack is young, talented and learning their roles. It's a tough ask. They have just started and under a new coach. Attitude has to improve ASAP for sure especially in defence. I can see that happening real soon. Seibold is a good coach, and our forwards have heaps of talent and are no fools.

As for the halves, that's a different story. IIRC Milf was brought here by Bennett as Locky's replacement. Personally, I would have thought he was the FB we needed but then, 2015 showed he wasn't bad at 5/8, probably because he was left to play what was in front of him. I think Bennett even said as much.

Once he was coached Bennett style, to be another Lockyer, things sort of slowed down. Now, I can see a lot of the real Milf emerging again. I thought he was good on Thursday and his kicking game is good. I attribute growth in Milf's game to Seib's influence, along with perceptible changes to our attacking structures. We saw that on Thursday. Execution is off but the promising sign are real and present.

Knik at half is another story. He isn't a game manager on performances so far. But then, who is responsible for recruitment? Seibold hasn't been left with too many options here. From what I have read on these forums, SoS is not yet able to cope "playing against men". Or is he?

It will be interesting to see which way Seibold moves on the halves, especially in light of what he said recently that Milf and Knik would remain our halves.

Boyd? He needs a rocket or retirement, and I can't see him anywhere other than FB unless he has hidden talents as a kicker and is happy to defend in the middle.

Bird, or maybe even Staggs at FB would probably work well ...

Our lack of options in the half back category is not Seibold's doing but it is his problem. Equally, he has a huge problem with leadership and communication out in the middle. It will be interesting to see which way he goes.

Last edited:
Well, I can't recall anyone comparing the current forward pack to those led by Webcke or Lazarus. All I recall is that our current pack is young, talented and learning their roles. It's a tough ask. They have just started and under a new coach. Attitude has to improve ASAP for sure especially in defence. I can see that happening real soon. Seibold is a good coach, and our forwards have heaps of talent and are no fools.

As for the halves, that's a different story. IIRC Milf was brought here by Bennett as Locky's replacement. Personally, I would have thought he was the FB we needed but then, 2015 showed he wasn't bad at 5/8, probably because he was left to play what was in front of him. I think Bennett even said as much.

Once he was coached Bennett style, to be another Lockyer, things sort of slowed down. Now, I can see a lot of the real Milf emerging again. I thought he was good on Thursday and his kicking game is good. I attribute growth in Milf's game to Seib's influence, along with perceptible changes to our attacking structures. We saw that on Thursday. Execution is off but the promising sign are real and present.

Knik at half is another story. He isn't a game manager on performances so far. But then, who is responsible for recruitment? Seibold hasn't been left with too many options here. From what I have read on these forums, SoS is not yet able to cope "playing against men". Or is he?

It will be interesting to see which way Seibold moves on the halves, especially in light of what he said recently that Milf and Knik would remain our halves.

Boyd? He needs a rocket or retirement, and I can't see him anywhere other than FB unless he has hidden talents as a kicker and is happy to defend in the middle.

Bird, or maybe even Staggs at FB would probably work well ...

Our lack of options in the half back category is not Seibold's doing but it is his problem. Equally, he has a huge problem with leadership and communication out in the middle. It will be interesting to see which way he goes.

most of what you have said there is spot on ... except Milford was actually signed by Griffin, if you recall all the shit that went between us and the Raiders trying to get him here for the 2014 season.

On Boyd, i still think he offers a lot to this team, but not at fullback. swap him with Bird IMO. Boyd still has a good pass on him and will have no trouble setting up Oates (in fact they could form a deadly parnership) ... Bird has been really good for us at center, but could offer us more from fullback, with a bit of extra room that gets provided there. he is a strong runner of the footy and has a bit of playmaking in his game.

Funny how it’s the same media that were talking up the pack are decrying it.

Boyd in the 6? May as well put fensom there! A 6 needs to be a lethal ball runner with a mad dummy, gnarly step, great kick and the kind of unpredictability that draws defenders and they need to break tackles constantly. Boyd has none of that. When Bennet experimented with Boyd in the left centre spot, he had a cracking game and so did the rest of the team. But the next week he went back to fullback. We have 2 very capable 5/8ths in Milf and Kodi, a capable defensive and attacking full back in Bird, a young up and coming half that is killing it in reserves in Deardon. SOS is a depth half (but I'd still be willing to give him a crack and see if he steps up). It's great that Tallis is writing off the forward pack for the next few years but with no experienced props left in the rotation, what does he suggest? The Burgess up for sale is not a leader. He's a follower and has been his whole life after growing up under Sam the alpha. We need a Sam, or a JWH, or a Vaughan. An old hard head who the youngs fellas are scared of, respect and want to be like. A reshuffle will fix the spine (yes Kodi to 14 with 15 mins per half), but recruitment is needed for the forwards.

most of what you have said there is spot on ... except Milford was actually signed by Griffin, if you recall all the shit that went between us and the Raiders trying to get him here for the 2014 season.

On Boyd, i still think he offers a lot to this team, but not at fullback. swap him with Bird IMO. Boyd still has a good pass on him and will have no trouble setting up Oates (in fact they could form a deadly parnership) ... Bird has been really good for us at center, but could offer us more from fullback, with a bit of extra room that gets provided there. he is a strong runner of the footy and has a bit of playmaking in his game.

The only issue with this proposal is Boyd's apparent aversion to physical contact. He will be called on to do a lot more defence at centre, if he just waves them through that will be very painful to watch.

View attachment 4759

April 5, 2019

The Broncos have two big problems — their halves and their forward pack.

One issue can be fixed in the short-term — that’s the halves. But the young forward pack is going to take years before it can live up to the hype and expectation around it.

Years. Not a couple of months, years.

But let’s tackle the halves issue first.

Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima are both ballrunners. They don’t seem to play to structure as well as other halves.

They are both great with ball in hand and create nightmares in open play.

But game management, creating for others and opening the contest up isn’t their strong suit.

Milford came to the Broncos as a fullback. Nikorima is an ideal no. 14. That utility man off the bench.

How long have we been talking about them not being able to get the job done? It’s been years. Something has to change.

Anthony Seibold should take a leaf out of the book of Newcastle coach Nathan Brown.

Browny tried Kalyn Ponga at five-eighth in the first three rounds.

It wasn’t a raging success so he has shifted him back to fullback. He put his ego in his pocket and did the right thing for the team.

Do you put Milford back to fullback and Darius Boyd into five-eighth with Sean O’Sullivan into halfback and Nikorima back to the bench?

Whatever is best for the team has to be the no.1 priority because right now, the halves are not helping their forwards.

The really good playmakers take the pressure off their packs with good kicks into the right places at the right time.

The Broncos kicking game right now isn’t doing that.

Darren Lockyer would do that for the Broncos, Ricky Stuart did for the Raiders, Andrew Johns did it for Newcastle.

They’d turn you around all day and force you to make tough carries out of your own territory. They’d put pressure on you all day, make you work. Take the sting out of you.

That isn’t happening with Brisbane right now. Because Milford and Nikorima are being asked to do a job they aren’t suited to doing.

Now to the forwards.

With the exception of Matt Gillett, none of those current guys make the Broncos forward packs that won premierships in the early 1990s and again in the late 1990s.

So please don’t make the comparison with this Brisbane forward pack and those led by the likes of Shane Webcke and Glenn Lazarus.

It’s not fair on the young blokes. Not fair at all. It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

Sure, they have plenty of talent of talent and potential. But they don’t have the runs on the board. And those runs are usually hard-earned after years of learning your craft.

Most forwards don’t hit their peak until after their late 20s so as good as they were in the junior ranks, rival forward packs are sick of hearing about these Broncos forwards and want to teach them a lesson.

The Storm did it. The Dragons did it and the Roosters most certainly dominated the forward battle at the SCG on Thursday night.

There’s nowhere to run and nowhere to hide in the middle of the park at NRL level.

And at the moment, the young Broncos are being asked to do a job that they do not have the footballing maturity to do.

In years gone by, they’d still be running around in the Queensland Cup in their late teens or early 20s, learning what playing against grown men is all about.

Not disagreeing with any of this. Tallis should thank whoever wrote it for him.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Skyblues87
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • Splinter
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.