NEWS Tallis: Rookie forwards taking Broncos backwards

Why isn't anyone acknowledging how good Peter Wallace was for us? What I'd give to have a seasoned Wallace type player in today's team.
Didn’t he want to come back last year, and Wayne knocked it back - from memory.

Last edited:
Didn’t he want to come back last year, and Wayne knocked it back - from memory.
No, I think he retired last year.(Peter Wallace) I don't believe he ever tried to come back. You may be thinking of Wallace, the Titans front rower.

Last edited:
Why isn't anyone acknowledging how good Peter Wallace was for us? What I'd give to have a seasoned Wallace type player in today's team.

Oh jesus yes! Was thinking the same thing the other day. Tackled his heart out, good game management, short kicking game. Not flashy but reliable as ****!

It's weird cause in 'those days' if there was an identified deficiency in the team, we went out to market and bought a player to fill the role if we had nobody within our own ranks to step up and do it. Now, we stuff around with the same old method hoping that one day, someday, it may suddenly and magically work. Seriously, if Nikorima is named again at half this Tuesday I'm going to really lose my shit.

Last edited:
The reason i think the ex-players tipping for Boyd to go into the 5/8 position is that they need a leader in the halves rather than dynamic running 5/8 or good kicker. Someone who can access the situation and direct the game accordingly. At this moment (with the exception of the cowboys), neither of our halves seem to have it in them (this is their thinking, not mine)
Thrusting a rookie player into that role is asking for a disaster. A kicking half: sure. A leader to direct the team around the park that is under 20 and barely playing 1st grade: is a recipe for disaster.
Bringing in Boyd into the halves also lets your captain lead in most facets of play as he would be in the centre of most of them. He is in a position to stamp on a problem almost immediately, rather than 5 tackles down the track, as a fullback would.
Boyd obviously isn't the preferred candidate, but the only other real option: bird, failed last year. I would have Bird at lock and Knik if this was the offseason, but it isn't. At this stage, sweeping changes will simply unravel whatever strategies and structures the new coach has brought in.
If we are changing halves there are few palatable options, which is the current ones have kept their place. Really, it is up to the coach if even such a change is the answer, but after that loss, one thing is clear: things can't go on as they are. There is something that eats away at the team's focus and as an outsider, I have no idea what it is, but I've seen enough games of football with this club to know it is there. I hope whatever it is, has a solution.

Has been several times I believe. Porthoz certainly has and I was lamenting his loss last season. Much to the disgust of @Mr Fourex might I add.

I've done it plenty of times, but it upsets some people because he wasn't a flashy player and lacked creativity... He would be a perfect partner for Milf.

I've done it plenty of times, but it upsets some people because he wasn't a flashy player and lacked creativity... He would be a perfect partner for Milf.
Yes, I should have written why wasn't anyone currently acknowledging that we were a better organised, more cohesive team in the era being discussed. I know there were posters on here who liked P.Wallace and I too liked what he brought to those teams. It would be sensational to have a player of his stature in the current squad.

The half that would suit Milf down to the ground in my view at the moment is DCE. Good kicking game (long and short), knows how to organize the attack, run the forwards and construct a set.

Agreed, but he's not a realistic target. We should look at Moses again. He's arguably the form half in the comp at the moment and plays predominately on the opposite side to Milford. He also has a great kicking game and still hasn't hit his ceiling yet. The Eels want to lock up Brown and Salmon (I don't think they'll work well together, but let them re-sign them on big bickies).

EDIT: if we got Moses and one of our halves is a must pick we can move Milford back to FB and improve our spine out of sight.

Last edited:

Far out we really are in bad shape if we are reminiscing on how good it was having Peter Wallace as our halfback.

Far out we really are in bad shape if we are reminiscing on how good it was having Peter Wallace as our halfback.
No, not that so much. More the better management onfield. We had better structure and arguably less talent than we have now.

The half that would suit Milf down to the ground in my view at the moment is DCE. Good kicking game (long and short), knows how to organize the attack, run the forwards and construct a set.
Hell yes. Long neck has always been a class act even if he wasn't or isn't a really good guy away from the field. Ultra competitive.

I couldn’t stand P Wal but I’d gladly have him back today over knik....... however let’s not change history. He partnered DARREN LOCKYER in the Halves and couldn’t win a premiership.....and he was a part of the shemozzle that was the Henjak era.

Last edited:
Hell yes. Long neck has always been a class act even if he wasn't or isn't a really good guy away from the field. Ultra competitive.

His neck gets longer every time I look at him

In terms of talent, I think we have our very own DCE in Tanah Boyd. If we let this lad slip out of our grasp I will be bloody fuming.

Last edited:
No, I think he retired last year.(Peter Wallace) I don't believe he ever tried to come back. You may be thinking of Wallace, the Titans front rower.
Haha, yep whoops! Sorry, somehow missed the name Peter..

In terms of talent, I think we have our very own DCE in Tanah Boyd. If we let this lad slip out of our grasp I will be bloody fuming.

we will likely lose him given Dearden is the better player and another club will likely snap Boyd up, since he probably won't want to stay in reserve grade as a back up

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Skyblues87
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • Splinter
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.