Taylor gone to Bunnies

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
pennywisealfie said:
good luck dave. unlike the hannant deal, i wish dave all the best, because we mis-treated him and i dont blame him at all for leaving. As for Broncos management. wtf happened....

How did they mis-treat him? If not picking someone who isn't up to week in week out nrl first grade is mis-treating him, then I'm glad they mis-treated him.

I doubt anyone can question Wayne Bennetts skill at timing players careers. He obviously thought it wasn't the right time to have Taylor playing full time nrl for whatever reason. If Henjack has the same view, then there must be something lacking in the guy that needs to be sorted before he becomes a genuine first grader.

In one respect, I really can't blame the kid though. The media and general public these days are too quick to label players as the next big thing. If Taylor read the reports about himself (or browsed this forum lol) then he probably wonders why someone with as much supposed talent as him isn't playing first grade.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
No I think not, unless his manager is telling huge pork pies. It may be the case that the Crocker signing may have thrown a wobbly into the plans to sign Taylor as well.

E

Emma

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
As others have said, no doubt the kid has potential....but if what the broncos offered him wasn't enough, then I'm quite happy to see him go. I'd never thought of it before, but the comparison to Carl Webb is a good one. All the potential in the world, had people wetting their pants in anticipation of how good he was going to be....then delivered, well...not much at all in comparison to the amount of talent he had. I realise Taylor may not end up the same, but he just might too.

From what I've heard from those that have watched Dave closer than I'm able to, it appears as though he has some serious issues with commitment to the game and his fitness, and you simply can't afford to pay someone a ridiculous amount of money if that's the case, based purely on what might be. I realise that he's still young, and he may well realise that potential....but I for one don't want to see my team spending that kind of money on unproven talent, a talent that may well stay that way for the rest of his career. I hope it doesn't, and if the change of scenery is what he needed to pull his finger out I'm sure we'll see the potential come to fruition....but it's a damn big risk to take and I'm happy the broncos aren't taking it considering who else we're trying to resign. I would have a different opinion if an extra say $25,000 would keep him here, but we're talking about a hell of a lot more than that. He MIGHT be worth it one day, but you have to earn that kind of money, and at this stage of his career, he hasn't gone close.

I'd rather he go now and we talk about what might have been than we all talk about in 5 years time why the hell we're paying a guy so much when he's delivering nothing (as we've seen many times on this forum).

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Perhaps the mistake that was made was not paying Hannant what he wanted, because there were no attitude issues there.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
MIKEY said:
this is a very huge statement ....

I don't think it is.

David Taylor has had more average or bad games than good games so far in his career. Don't get me wrong, his good games have quite memorable which shows that he's got talent but he's far from a proven performer, he's struggles with fitness issues (which reeks of lack of commitment like Emma was saying) and he has never been able to cement a spot in the team. There's a reason for that.

Agreed. See also Carl Webb, Frank Pritchard and Willie Mason for examples.

Taylor strikes me as the sort of player who could defeat the world when he's "on". He'd then follow that up with six games where he goes MIA.

As I said before, worrying in terms of our forward depth alone. I still think he'd be the best one to call-up if any of our engine room was out with injury at the moment.

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
^^agree. He has not yet proven himself consistently, and is so far showing the attitutes of Webb and the likes. He could end up anywhere, either a complete success (5 years away minimum), or a complete failure, time will tell. He is only 20, nowhere near worth the amount he was bought for. McGuire all the way.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
RE: paying Hannant what he wanted....nice idea. But Dogs were offering $300K. Broncos baulked at paying $300K for Petero in 2007.

It was never going to happen.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Coxyz said:
RE: paying Hannant what he wanted....nice idea. But Dogs were offering $300K. Broncos baulked at paying $300K for Petero in 2007.

It was never going to happen.

And nor should it, IMO. Maybe in four years, Ben.

That's the big problem. In his case, and with so many, it's not a matter of not wanting to keep the players. It's a matter of guys (often with young families) being offered $60k a year more over three years, and wanting to do what's best for them and theirs. I don't begrudge them that for a second. If another company/department came to me with a 25% pay increase offer from what I was on now, along with job security, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

J

Jazza

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
To me, Dave Taylor could be anything. He has all the talent in the world but only displays it every now and then. That's not the sort of player I want at the club. If it came down to picking Taylor, or someone like Aiden Tolman from the Storm (who's the same age) I'd take Tolman in a heartbeat. Sure, he's not as flashy and will probably never be a matchwinner like Taylor can potentially be, but you know what you'll get from him. He comes off the bench, makes his tackles, consisently makes 100+ metres, few errors and all with little fuss or fanfare.

Playboy Bunny

Playboy Bunny

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
MIKEY said:
so has he put pen to paper

Yes...

'MEMBERS FIRST' ANNOUNCEMENT

South Sydney Rabbitohs have announced the signing of Broncos front row forward David Taylor until the end of the 2012 season.

Taylor has signed a three-year contract, joining the Rabbitohs for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Taylor, who is still only 20 years old, has been one of the most sought after off-contract players this season, with the Rabbitohs beating out several other NRL Clubs for his prized signature.

Taylor is widely regarded as one of the up-and-coming superstars of the game. Standing 185cm tall and weighing in at 115kg, his agility, footwork and skills are second to none for a player of his size in the early stages of his NRL career. Taylor made his first grade debut against South Sydney in 2006 and has played 36 NRL matches so far for the Brisbane Club.

Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson says Taylor will be a welcome addition to the Club next season.

“Taylor is the brightest young forward prospect in the game,†Mr Richardson said.

“He has already played about 30 NRL games and he is only 20 years of age and playing in the front row. Experts were talking about him playing State of Origin for Queensland this season. He is a special talent and he will be a valuable asset to our team and our Club.

“He has a young family which fits in with the atmosphere and culture we have built here at South Sydney, and we look forward to having him play alongside some of our other long-term contracted players including Roy Asotasi, Michael Crocker, Issac Luke, Craig Wing, John Sutton, Nathan Merritt, Chris Sandow, Fetuli Talanoa and Beau Champion in our side.

“It’s been a long process of negotiation, and we thank his manager Col Davis for his efforts in helping to make David and his wife comfortable in their decision to make the move to South Sydney.

“We’re looking forward to seeing him in the red and green for at least the next three years and we welcome David Taylor to our Club.â€

The Rabbitohs have also announced that David Fa’alogo will be released from the remaining year of his contract at the end of this season to take up an opportunity to join a Super League Club in the UK.

Fa’alogo has activated a clause in his contract that said he could explore his options in the UK for the 2010 season and beyond.

“David informed us by the deadline of 31 March 2009 that he intended to move to the UK Super League, as per the clause in his playing contract,†Mr Richardson said.

“With him letting us know by the end of March that he would be exercising that clause in his contract, it has allowed us to go out into the market and sign players such as Michael Crocker and David Taylor for next season and beyond.

“We wish Dave and his wife Mel the best of luck next year and we look forward to a big second half to this season from him as we charge towardsto the finals.â€

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
As I said the first time.

Good bye and good luck, Dave.

Playboy Bunny

Playboy Bunny

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Oh dear god....

DavidTaylorSignsHeadshotDetail-9d5f9260-8f01-4805-b5d1-205c30ed5e2f.jpg

has his face always been that crooked??

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Shane Tronc
  • Jazza
  • Allo
  • Alec
  • Manofoneway
  • Morkel
  • Bucking Beads
  • Aldo
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • LittleDavey
  • barker
  • Financeguy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.