Te Maire Martin

The potentially astute part of this signing is Wynnum- Broncos get access to a former NRL player for no risk and only 60k.

I think Martin will go well there, if he sticks it out which I am always sceptical of but if he sees it out he will have Hoeter outside him and maybe Cobbo for a few games with TC as well.

Only thing is where do Seagulls play him- they have Scarlett and Capagnolo both coming off great season and made the Grand Final. Maybe eased in at 14 to replace Hope.

Can we say he's ahead of players like Josh Reynolds, Jack Wighton, Anthony Milford, Corey Norman, Mitchell Moses, Matt Moylan, Blake Green and Blake Austin? Is that fair enough as it currently stands?
I would have Wighton ahead of Morgan as he carries more responsibility in that raiders team and in my eyes he has had longer periods of sustained form, whereas Morgan had the backend of 2017 and whichever year he played fullback.

I would consider Moses a halfback as well... and his role is more about game management.

Other than that it's probably about right you'd think... those players had periods where they were on another level but they couldn't sustain it and their floor was much lower than the height they reach at their peak

On a side note, most my memories of Joey were from childhood so I don’t remember what he was actually like week to week other than the mythology around him (apart from old games Ive gone back and watched) but **** he must have been special if peak Thurston being as good or better than him is barely even entertained seriously - those few years when Thurston was ta his prime was crazy to watch, I’ve never seen a player be so involved in the output of their team. Felt like he touched the ball almost every play and his pass and kick selection and variety was without peer.

Cleary is the closest thing I’ve seen to replicating it.
I know this is a Broncos forum, but for sheer involvement and clutch plays over a sustained period, I still can’t think of anyone better than Lockyer.

I think back to the 2004 (pretty sure) test series over in the UK. Playing fullback, the bloke was in absolutely everything. If he wasn’t in that team, no way Australia wins, plain and simple.

I also think one of Lockyer’s best attributes was that whilst he knew he was the best player out there (he never carried on like that though), when other great players came along (Smith, Thurston etc.), he was happy to not overplay his hand and let them be them. I think that’s a huge part of why the QLD team during all those series wins was able to be so successful. In this case, too many cooks didn’t spoil the broth.

Without doubt, he was the most selfless player I’ve ever watched.

I know this is a Broncos forum, but for sheer involvement and clutch plays over a sustained period, I still can’t think of anyone better than Lockyer.

I think back to the 2004 (pretty sure) test series over in the UK. Playing fullback, the bloke was in absolutely everything. If he wasn’t in that team, no way Australia wins, plain and simple.

I also think one of Lockyer’s best attributes was that whilst he knew he was the best player out there (he never carried on like that though), when other great players came along (Smith, Thurston etc.), he was happy to not overplay his hand and let them be them. I think that’s a huge part of why the QLD team during all those series wins was able to be so successful. In this case, too many cooks didn’t spoil the broth.

Without doubt, he was the most selfless player I’ve ever watched.
Yeah for sure, I’m not trying to say Thurston was the best ever but Lockyer picked his moments more and allowed others to shine as you said.

Thurston was in absolutely everything for a period there.

Yeah for sure, I’m not trying to say Thurston was the best ever but Lockyer picked his moments more and allowed others to shine as you said.

JT was an absolute competitor and a very different player to Locky. They were both clutch players in their own different ways. In Origin i think they both showed that for sure.

JT was an absolute competitor and a very different player to Locky. They were both clutch players in their own different ways. In Origin i think they both showed that for sure.
I was watching some old origins recently with Locky and Thurston in the halves and it was such a great combo. Lockyer the ultimate calming influence and tradesmen, and Thurston with unbridled creativity and flair.

it’s early day but even with the freak team NSW has now I don’t think they could compete with that era.

Smith Thurston Lockyer Slater. I don’t know if the game will ever see a better spine.

On a side note, most my memories of Joey were from childhood so I don’t remember what he was actually like week to week other than the mythology around him (apart from old games Ive gone back and watched) but **** he must have been special if peak Thurston being as good or better than him is barely even entertained seriously - those few years when Thurston was ta his prime was crazy to watch, I’ve never seen a player be so involved in the output of their team. Felt like he touched the ball almost every play and his pass and kick selection and variety was without peer.

Cleary is the closest thing I’ve seen to replicating it.

They (Thurston, Locky, Joey) played against much better opposition imo.

Chuck peak Cleary in that era (he might not have peaked yet to be fair, has he even finished puberty?) and he's a middle tier type.

Makes for interesting discussion. I love seeing those legendary combos - in one test, 2005 or 2006 it started with Locky and Joey in the halves, then Thurston came on off the bench and Locky moved to fullback. That is a god tier spine.

They (Thurston, Locky, Joey) played against much better opposition imo.

Chuck peak Cleary in that era (he might not have peaked yet to be fair, has he even finished puberty?) and he's a middle tier type.

Makes for interesting discussion. I love seeing those legendary combos - in one test, 2005 or 2006 it started with Locky and Joey in the halves, then Thurston came on off the bench and Locky moved to fullback. That is a god tier spine.
I would’ve loved to see Thurston or young Locky in the 6 again era but like with all sportsmen you can only compare them to their opponents and as much as it’s egg on my face Cleary has turned into a very good halfback and is still relatively young. He may not get to a Joey or Thurston level halfback but I think he’ll at least be as good as Cronk tier. He may even be one of the all time greats if he continues to improve into his 30’s like the good halves do. He’s already a better halfback than Reynolds, Hunt, Morgan, and Pearce. Which to me is the tier below Cronk and 2 years below the greats.

I would’ve loved to see Thurston or young Locky in the 6 again era but like with all sportsmen you can only compare them to their opponents and as much as it’s egg on my face Cleary has turned into a very good halfback and is still relatively young. He may not get to a Joey or Thurston level halfback but I think he’ll at least be as good as Cronk tier. He may even be one of the all time greats if he continues to improve into his 30’s like the good halves do.

I'd say he's at least already as good as Cronk. He is projecting to be an all time great. He is also made to look better by being in an era of an absolute dearth of quality 7s.

I wonder if he will stay a one club player?

I was watching some old origins recently with Locky and Thurston in the halves and it was such a great combo. Lockyer the ultimate calming influence and tradesmen, and Thurston with unbridled creativity and flair.

it’s early day but even with the freak team NSW has now I don’t think they could compete with that era.

Smith Thurston Lockyer Slater. I don’t know if the game will ever see a better spine.

I dont see the current NSW team being able to beat the great QLD side on a regular basis tbh. For example, I know Turbo for example has looked good, but he has looked good against second rate or makeshift centers. Look at that big win we had in Hodges last game, this was an aging QLD side with a fair few injury issues ( players carrying injury and missing players ) and i dont think the current NSW side would regularly get the better of this side.

1 Inglis
2 Boyd
3 Chambers
4 Hodges
5 Gagai
6 Thurston
7 Cronk
8 Scott
9 Smith
10 Myles
11 Guerra
12 Thiaday
13 Parker

14 Morgan
15 Papalii
16 Gillet
17 Lillyman

I'd say so , he just got a big stupid panther tattooed on his ribs.

Cleary is going to go down as as great if he continues his current trajectory. Bit scary for us QLDers

He is good, but imo he isnt anywhere near the best halfbacks yet. He has the advantage of playing in an era he is well protected. I know people think there was too much whining about it, but look at how JT used to get smashed really late after the ball went. Doesnt really happen that much now. The playmakers get a lot more time and space. Imagine Locky getting that for example.

He is good, but imo he isnt anywhere near the best halfbacks yet. He has the advantage of playing in an era he is well protected. I know people think there was too much whining about it, but look at how JT used to get smashed really late after the ball went. Doesnt really happen that much now. The playmakers get a lot more time and space. Imagine Locky getting that for example.
No, definitely not even in the conversation yet. We can reassess where he sits inthe pecking order at the end of his career.

But he's lost a final, and won a final... he's like 22 or something and one of the top 3 players in the comp. The blokes a weapon.

No, definitely not even in the conversation yet. We can reassess where he sits inthe pecking order at the end of his career.

But he's lost a final, and won a final... he's like 22 or something and one of the top 3 players in the comp. The blokes a weapon.

Yep, we will see. Even with what he's done though, i just dont see him anywhere near a lot of the best halves ever.

This is exactly why JT failed in his final year - the entire team had no plan and just waited for JT to pull a rabbit out of the hat but by that time. he didn't have it in him.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Rambstien
  • marw
  • Astro
  • BRC088
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • john1420
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.