Te Maire Martin

Harry Sack

State of Origin Captain
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Threads
So it’s fair to say I do have a bias against him. I guess it comes from (my perception of him at least) the bloke having a used car salesman win-at-any-cost approach that never sat well with me, which included when he was playing for QLD and Australia. I genuinely found it hard to support him and honestly never wanted him at the Broncos, so I was (and still am despite our results of late) happy that never eventuated.

I just think the great players rely on their ability and skill to win games, not manipulating the referees and mutilating the opposition.

Basically sums up my thoughts tbh. Which is why in the argument as to who is the GOAT, it's Smith but in the discussion of which I'd prefer in my team, it's Locky every time.

abashii

NRL Player
Jul 14, 2014
Threads
One other thing Locky has over Smith is Locky did his full share right through to the end. Played for state and country right through to his last moment. Smith dogged Queensland by throwing in the towel before game one, at a time when we were already facing massive churn. I'd be more likely to say it's fair enough if it was his last year in the game and he'd given fair warning beforehand but he played on another three years at a very high level for the purple cheats. Locky went out with his boots on while Smith slunk away with a few weeks notice when his state needed him the most.

soup

International Rep
May 1, 2013
Threads
One other thing Locky has over Smith is Locky did his full share right through to the end. Played for state and country right through to his last moment. Smith dogged Queensland by throwing in the towel before game one, at a time when we were already facing massive churn. I'd be more likely to say it's fair enough if it was his last year in the game and he'd given fair warning beforehand but he played on another three years at a very high level for the purple cheats. Locky went out with his boots on while Smith slunk away with a few weeks notice when his state needed him the most.
Others would say that he was quite old, and wanted to secure another premiership through consistency of club only footy.

I don’t like how it happened, but who knows what really went on.

Allo

State of Origin Rep
Sep 28, 2012
Threads
If he was doing some of the things now he was doing in the early 2000's i think he might have found himself in a bit of trouble.

We’ll just watch him become involved in quelling citizen revolts against governments corrupted by mining companies I guess

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
wonder what qualifies you cause parker should have been in there imo
My first thoughts were Parker; Hodges, Gillo but I really can’t argue too much with that list. Maybe Hodgo over Mitchell for now but that would be hard to argue without admitting my bias.

Gillo is probably the most robbed but it’s hard to say he did more than Lewis, Gallen; or Cordner.

Parker just isn’t as good as Lolo. It’s just facts. Lolo was the original Haas who looked like a man against boys.

Brom probably doesn’t deserve to be there though.

I wonder if Hayne would’ve got a shout on the wing if he wasn’t such a gronk.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Threads
What a crock of nonsense.

The guy wanted to commit to his club (his employers who actually pay him his wage to play the game) and secure another premiership.

If that was another player on our side, people would be lording their decision - ESPECIALLY if they were a bronco but NSW rep

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Threads
Cameron Smith's career will forever have the salary cap cheating lingering over it, nothing he can really do about it either.

You can't say that makes him a worse player, he will go down as one of the greats but as for his integrity and all of that, that's always going to follow him.
Which is also nonsense because paying someone more money doesn't improve how good of a player they are.

He single handedly influenced games with every touch.

The anti Melbourne bias is truly on show in this thread

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
What a crock of nonsense.

The guy wanted to commit to his club (his employers who actually pay him his wage to play the game) and secure another premiership.

If that was another player on our side, people would be lording their decision - ESPECIALLY if they were a bronco but NSW rep
Yeah and he managed to go on to have the longest career in the games history and retired as the best player in the game. I guess he made the right call.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
My first thoughts were Parker; Hodges, Gillo but I really can’t argue too much with that list. Maybe Hodgo over Mitchell for now but that would be hard to argue without admitting my bias.

Gillo is probably the most robbed but it’s hard to say he did more than Lewis, Gallen; or Cordner.

Parker just isn’t as good as Lolo. It’s just facts. Lolo was the original Haas who looked like a man against boys.

Brom probably doesn’t deserve to be there though.

I wonder if Hayne would’ve got a shout on the wing if he wasn’t such a gronk.

You know who i think gets overlooked a fair bit, Sam Thiaday. Peak Sammy was a superb back rower and i think it gets forgotten how good he actually was in his prime.

Also, i'd have put Jharal Yow Yeah in there despite his short career. Cant believe really it will be 10 years since he got that injury in 2022.

JAHHW

NRL Captain
Aug 24, 2017
Threads
Which is also nonsense because paying someone more money doesn't improve how good of a player they are.

He single handedly influenced games with every touch.

The anti Melbourne bias is truly on show in this thread
I don’t personally have a bias against the Storm as such, other than the same dislike I have for any team that beats us. But I do absolutely hate teams that benefit from systematic cheating.

The fact they, and in particular Smith, still to this very day argue and claim their titles should be reinstated does make me dislike them as a club more than most other clubs.

And whilst paying one player more may not make them play better; paying an entire team of players more for a number of years certainly doesn’t hurt their success and ability to form a nucleus of players, all the while supporting and nurturing their development in a stable and familiar environment.

Let’s just imagine for one second what might have been had they not cooked their books for a number of years and their players got dispersed much earlier in their development.

I’m not saying they’d be like we have been the last few years, but we are a great example of what happens when the right players and support is not provided to young players, regardless of how good they’ve been in the lower grades or how much potential they may have.

It’s obviously hypothetical, but would any one of those Storm stars have been as good as they were as individual players if they’d been squeezed out of the Storm early on and ended up at a Tigers or Titans etc.?

Who knows. But the point is, the club cheated and I believe it’s a fool’s errand to think such cheating didn’t benefit the club, coaches and players, on a number of levels.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
I dont have an issue with Smith really, i think its a bit ridiculous people trying to play down his ability based on a financial decision by his club. IF people think it affects his character thats fair though. What i did never like with him though was that Queensland decision. He left us in the lurch and i thought it was a dog move by him at that time.

In regards to their titles that were taken away, when you look at the cap rorts individually i can see why they think they shouldnt have been taken away. My own opinion on it when you look at other punishments is the 2007 win should never have been taken off them, anything after that i think they deserved. Cronulla didnt lose their 2016 premiership despite them rorting the cap to build that side essentially. As usual with the NRL, there isnt a lot of consistency in their decision making.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
You know who i think gets overlooked a fair bit, Sam Thiaday. Peak Sammy was a superb back rower and i think it gets forgotten how good he actually was in his prime.

Also, i'd have put Jharal Yow Yeah in there despite his short career. Cant believe really it will be 10 years since he got that injury in 2022.
Yeah I’ve been watching a few mid 2010 games because the footy was beautiful back then and Sammy was a beast - such a different player to who he ended up. Explosive, Uber aggressive and competitive, good ball playing, amazing hair.

Seems like he mellowed with age and unfortunately what made him good mellowed also.

He reminds of when rockstars go clean and sort their life out and they seem heaps happier but their output sucks.

I think he’s a shoe in if the decade in questions is 2005-2015 but can’t argue that he didn’t make the cut in the last 10.

Latest posts

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaBraze

Members online

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.