Team changes for game 2

Wholesale knee-jerk reactions would be exactly what NSW did during our period of dominance. We already have pretty much the strongest team we can pick, it's just a matter of making it work. Despite being completely out-classed, we dominated them for large periods of the game, but lost the game on one or two momentum shifts which gave them the ascendancy just long enough for their class to come through.

It really just comes down to one or two key players coming back. Morgan came very close to cracking them down the middle a few times after being put in to gaps with short passes. The exact same passes went to Tedesco and he got through. Maybe with Slater there, we get through too? I don't think our pack needs changes - we had momentum and field position, and were bashing the shit out of them, containing them well. We were let down by Chambers' multiple brain farts and Kaufusi's shocking arm grabs. Those two won't play that badly again.

I agree don’t want to go down NSW knee jerk style but problem is don’t think we had the right team to begin with. At the risk of being s smart a** the only thing I didn’t predict was being so poor in the middle defence. The spine was rudderless, the service from dummy half was slow mo, QLD couldn’t convert an opportunity, kicking game was poor, McGuire killed momentum on 4, Milf was a waste and wasted, Holmes was rocks and diamonds and Gagai wasn’t his best playing injured. Most of these aren’t one off issues they are the product of the team selected and a recurring pattern over years for these players (Gagai excluded who was good but was an unnecessary risk with Oates able to step in). Only points were from luck and individual brilliance. This isn’t knee jerk it is likely the reality unless change it and get a sharp edge at hooker rather than a rubber mallet, organising halves, a dynamic fullback and remove ball hogs. The call to axe Chambers and Holmes is a bit knee jerk I agree but rather fit Munster (at centre to facilitate a more ball playing or support running 5/8) and Oates as an extra forward (Homes I suspect is a flat track bully whereas Oates stays strong when things are tough) as much more rounded team. Also unlike NSW would include all the axed players in the squad with opportunity to learn, potentially earn their places back and contribute to team preparation rather than toss them to side.

The Latrell Mitchell try was probably the worst. Chambers, Kaufusi, Hunt and Munster all in the frame and they still couldn't stop him.

Last year we picked a pretty shitty Game 1 side, and then had to change it to a much better one for games 2 and 3.
There probably isn't much you can change here, minus bringing in Slater back. I guess you can make a case for dropping Wallace for someone else, he has frankly been shit in Origin in his 3 games.

Last year we picked a pretty shitty Game 1 side, and then had to change it to a much better one for games 2 and 3.
There probably isn't much you can change here, minus bringing in Slater back. I guess you can make a case for dropping Wallace for someone else, he has frankly been shit in Origin in his 3 games.

Slater and Scott are probably the only players we need to bring in.

I would bring in Ofahengaue as well, though. That's if he decides to play considering the Pacific Test will be on that weekend.

Slater and Scott are probably the only players we need to bring in.

I would bring in Ofahengaue as well, though.

Yeah, I was against Scott for game 1 because I thought he was either past it or playing really injured. But he can't be worse than Wallace has been so far, just needs to make 4 runs.

He ran straight at Kaufusi.
He clearly missed the tackle but Cook was running at the gaping hole left by McGuire running back to the line with his back to the play the ball.

Kaufusi was left with covering the 5-10m outside him as well as the potential for Cook to get him back on the inside.

Yes he got burnt but it's a 2nd rower (former prop) trying to tackle a quick nimble hooker after a quick play the ball with space inside and outside him. My point is no matter who you put there they weren't stopping Cook from getting through

What's the schedule with this Sunday game? When is the team named? Do they sit out the weekend before, or is it a short lead up?

What's the schedule with this Sunday game? When is the team named? Do they sit out the weekend before, or is it a short lead up?
Shortened lead up no players missing and no byes.

Standalone weekend with some internationals including the england v NZ in Denver

He clearly missed the tackle but Cook was running at the gaping hole left by McGuire running back to the line with his back to the play the ball.

Kaufusi was left with covering the 5-10m outside him as well as the potential for Cook to get him back on the inside.

Yes he got burnt but it's a 2nd rower (former prop) trying to tackle a quick nimble hooker after a quick play the ball with space inside and outside him. My point is no matter who you put there they weren't stopping Cook from getting through

Gillett would have :)

TBF, not sure he would but that’s Gillett’s specialty. Last ditch clean-up work.

I said it in another thread but I'll say it here as well, I think we stick with Munster & Hunt. Hunt did well for the most part with his kicking game (Wouldn't mind seeing him taking the line on a bit more) and Munster wasn't too bad either, should be better in G2 & G3 once he rekindles his combination with Slater on those sweep plays.

Overall I thought we played well and had plenty of opportunities to win, the only reason the Blues were scoring points was Tedesco & Cook. Literally the only reason, without those two we probably win by 10. That means the primary issue we have is ruck & middle defense, tighten that up and it'll go a long way to winning G2/G3.

In terms of changes.. you have to drop Cooper, he defended well, but you need some ensemble of metres & attacking skill from that position. If Gillett isn't healthy, I'd start Papalii on the edge. He's in career best form right now, we need him to play big minutes if we want a chance at winning, the best way to do that is starting him on the edge, and shifting him to the middle when Hess comes on. Hess isn't a middle forward, he's still too raw, throw him on the left edge for his 30 minutes and have him run straight at Cleary non-stop, wear him out. I'd also strongly consider bringing in some aggression on the bench.

It has to be Alvaro or Ofahengaue, I have no idea why Alvaro isn't getting any Origin buzz, he's been the Eels best player this year. He's arguably the best defensive prop in the game at the moment, and also makes above average metres.

Averages for Alvaro this season - 48 minutes, 12 hit-ups, 107.1 metres, 40.9 tackles @ 93.2% efficiency

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mr Fourex
  • cento
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mick_Hancock
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.