Team changes for game 2

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2018' started by Black Philip, Jun 7, 2018.

Me as well, I rate him.

Huge likes this.
  1. Foordy

Foordy

Let's not tell NSW, they may actually select him

Huge likes this.
  2. PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987 NRL Player

SOS JT , the cows are done

3. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

Kevin would look like a hypocrite. He has been saying this years team is picked on form.

broncospwn likes this.
  4. Number6

Number6 QCup Player

Yeah think Cows have missed a trick this year. Morgan should have stayed at 7 from start since was killing it and JT was always going to be slow coming back so why not ease him into it from bench as didn’t need weather first 20 mins of each game at 6 so can pick his moments.

Now finals are all but done don’t see the sense in persisting with him more than dignity allows. Morgan to 7 and need to get Martin in doing a lot of ball playing from 6/13 role (13 when JT2 having a spell) to prep for next year. Ideally use JT for 40-50 minutes to close the game and guide the team so the old legs can play quality minutes and more in a teaching role.

QLD would have been much better off with Smith stepping up doing same thing to guide team home after 30th minute. At very least Smith needs to be asked to come into camp when Macca is unfortunately selected again to get him up to speed. Could do similar with Ponga and Slater. Let slater play fullback with Oates on wing and in last 30 switch slater to wing, Oates to second row and bring Ponga on to run riot on tired forwards. Need a succession plan rather than just throwing guys in deep end where possible, use your legends to teach the new guys. Use young blokes in short stints since they are more likely to drift in and out of the game more so build their confidence and get most value by getting them on for impact.

5. Number6

Number6 QCup Player

More i consider DCE less like the idea. Even the commentators last night admitted he is a flat track bully. He was horrid.

1. Slater (wing after 50)
    2. Oates
    3. Inglis
    4. Munster
    5. Gagai if 100% fit (Holmes as backup)
    6. Milf
    7. Morgan
    8. Scott
    9. Macca (will happen but let’s use him for 30 at hooker with Smith as an exoskeleton all week in camp then 20 at lock to tighten middle and final chance)
    10. McGuire
    11. Papali
    12. Kafusi but only for 50 mins
    13. Glasby
    14. Hunt
    15. Napa
    16. Wallace
    17. ? Edge forward maybe Hess but open to options. No point using Hess as middle forward.
    18. Ponga.
    + everyone else into camp for the week including Ash Taylor.

If we lose game 2. Then Taylor and Ponga could be introduced.

6. Dexter

Dexter

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  7. Foordy

Foordy

5 years is a long time ... who knows how many players will be coming through then

8. Only need 17 qlders....there's plenty there and a battalion of 17 year olds ripening as we speak.

9. winslow_wong

winslow_wong State of Origin Captain

bris
    Who kicks the goals?

10. Number6

Number6 QCup Player

Fair point. Holmes might have to play over Oates if no other options. If Ponga in team less of an issue. Would have preferred Hunt at 9 and Ponga as 14 (which is why had Slater going to wing but couldn’t edit) which would be good enough for goals given lack of tries in current setup makes goal kicking a secondary consideration but problem of backup hooker options in that setup as Hunt should only play 50 or 60.

11. I still maintain we should bring in Matt Scott, not just for his experience but I still think he has a bit to offer at Origin level.

He averages just 1.31 metre less in post contact metres than Napa, and also averages less game time at 42.76 minutes compared to 45.92 minutes for Napa. His play the ball speed is also quicker, average play the ball speed is 3.53 seconds which is quicker than both Napa and Wallace. Quick play the balls are very valuable at this level.

I don't think he has been that bad this season. He hasn't been at his usual level, but neither has Napa and he still got picked.

I would bring in Scott, Ofahengaue, Slater and drop Cooper. Those would be the only changes I make.

Sproj likes this.
  12. Broncs_Fan

Broncs_Fan NRL Player

Scott has been pretty awful this year.

13. Alec

Alec International Rep

You're right, but the way I see it, he doesn't have to do much to do better than someone like Wallace or Hess has been doing up front. I wouldn't put it past him to really lift for QLD.

14. Broncs_Fan

Broncs_Fan NRL Player

Can see where you are coming from but his defence has been just awful this year. Struggling to keep up with the play. I think he'd get horribly exposed in Origin like Myles was in Game 1 last year.

15. His defence hasn't been as bad as people make out. They have been exaggerating it a little bit.

He averages 23.9 tackles a game missing an average of 2.3 missed tackles. He's been averaging 87.83% tackle efficiency which isn't that bad.

When you compare it to Napa, averaging 24.69 tackles a game missing an average of 2.84 missed tackles. He's been averaging 84.01% tackle efficiency in the same amount of games.

Stats don't tell the whole story, but he hasn't been as bad as people think.

16. ethos

ethos NRL Player

Mixed on Scott. Watched a Cowboys match about a month ago and he looked pretttty slow. Hard to miss a tackle when you're not back in the defensive line to make one.

His experience could be useful. But wouldn't play him for say, more than 15 mins at the start and another really small stint. Too risky with Cook etc sniffing. You'd have to think he'd manage more carries than Wallace though.

Ofahengaue is a must IMO. Massive motor.

17. Suspected torn Bicep for Morgan.

He could play on, although there wouldn't be as much strength there. But if he is forced to get surgery, that's him gone for Origin.

18. Morgan will be a huge loss and what little hope we have of saving the series went with him. I am a fan and think he's a cut above and he reminds me of Jason Smith from a few years ago. Not the recent version ha ha.

19. jarro65

jarro65 State of Origin Rep

Ponga surely has to be in the 17 now ?

Huge likes this.