OFFICIAL TEAM UPDATE. MAD MONDAY FOREVER

A SATISFYING END

SEPTEMBER 4
Latest updates on fresh injuries and charges in post below.

INJURED

LATEST JUDICIARY

Revamped the system to incorporate "feel" and media perception... and apparently a completely useless grading system because it doesn't punish players hard enough.
That's always been a part of it.

I remember when Kevie came out of retirement in 2001 only to have his comeback prematurely halted by Craig Smith. Smith came down with his fore-arm on Kevie's face and broke Kevie's nose and eye socket.

It was an ugly incident but there would have been a dozen or more incidents like that across the weekend. The difference was Kevie suffered an injury. It led to a jostle between the NSW media who argued that case and the Queensland media who just pointed to the end result.

In the end, they wiped Smith out for the rest of the season and he wouldn't play NRL again for another four years.

They revamped the system to make it easier to understand and try to keep the players on the field since loading could really add up quickly and too many stars were being put on the sidelines. I saw it as another example of Gus having a tremendous influence on V'landys since it was one of his big agendas on his podcast and on 100% Footy.

The best case for Carrigan is that he has to find another incident where a player took a hip drop tackle to the judiciary and was able to get it down-graded. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head and the only time I can recall the judiciary had to adjudicate a hip drop was back in 2020 when Max King was referred straight to the judiciary in that final round loss to the Dragons.

Interesting to note, he received three weeks for that tackle, I doubt Carrigan is shown the same leniancy.

Just because it has been referred straight through to the judiciary, it does not mean that the judiciary have to impose a higher penalty than what would occur for a Grade 3. They have the discretion to impose whatever they believe to be the appropriate penalty.

Were any of these incidents defended in front of the NRL judiciary?

I can't remember any precedent where a matter has been referred to the judiciary and they've settled for a sentence that would have been applicable to a standard grading. I'd have to dig further but typically the judiciary will exercise their authority in these situations.

Were any of these incidents defended in front of the NRL judiciary?

I can't remember any precedent where a matter has been referred to the judiciary and they've settled for a sentence that would have been applicable to a standard grading. I'd have to dig further but typically the judiciary will exercise their authority in these situations.
This is what bothers me. The MRC have already deemed it to be SO BAD that they can't give it a standard grading. I don't know wtf footage they're watching. NAS bodyweight to the head via forearm is nothing-to-see-here worthy, but a non-hip-drop-hip-drop warrants referring directly to the judiciary? Give me a fucking break.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he misses wk 1 of finals too, broncos are usually the casualties of the nrl making an example.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him ruled out for the remainder of the season, finals included.

The broken leg is going to increase the charge.

Herbie is recovering sooner than expected, and Selwyn should return this week.

Walters:

“Herbie is back running now which is good and he is gradually getting back into some skill work. I believe he is a bit ahead of schedule. We expect him to be back a couple of weeks out from the finals which is great news for Herbie and for us.”​
“Selwyn wasn’t eligible for the Tigers game, he failed one of his concussion tests earlier in the week so we have decided to give him another week off. We want to make sure he is right because he is a very important part of our team moving forward and we need him at his best health wise as well. It’s a short turnaround heading into the Roosters game so he should be alright for that game which is great news for us and Broncos fans.”​

Herbie is recovering sooner than expected, and Selwyn should return this week.

Walters:

“Herbie is back running now which is good and he is gradually getting back into some skill work. I believe he is a bit ahead of schedule. We expect him to be back a couple of weeks out from the finals which is great news for Herbie and for us.”​
“Selwyn wasn’t eligible for the Tigers game, he failed one of his concussion tests earlier in the week so we have decided to give him another week off. We want to make sure he is right because he is a very important part of our team moving forward and we need him at his best health wise as well. It’s a short turnaround heading into the Roosters game so he should be alright for that game which is great news for us and Broncos fans.”​
Bit concerning he’s still failing concussion tests

Bit concerning he’s still failing concussion tests
It was a really heavy knock, I'm not surprised tbh. He's probably feeling fine and right to play but has some neuro stuff just outside his baseline range and settling back down. He definitely won't want to do it again for a while though, that's for sure.

McGuire got five games with a plea for this one with a fairly bad record - 5 previous charges
Charged with a Grade 3 Dangerous Contact.

In my view this was worse than Carrigan's tackle but did not result in the same extent of injury.

“Herbie is back running now which is good and he is gradually getting back into some skill work. I believe he is a bit ahead of schedule. We expect him to be back a couple of weeks out from the finals which is great news for Herbie and for us.”

Herbie potentially back for the Storm match. Give him the week off.

Guys, we need to accept Carrigan will be out until finals. The NRL will want him back for that as he is marketable but they also know that the Broncos never challenge, so it is an easy option for them to come down hard on.

The flip side is, we get to see Hetherington with an extended run in the 13 jersey.

Ridiculous it's even a thing. Carrigan isn't looking in the direction of Hastings right leg, he couldn't know it's location. It was merely an accident. Getting a long stretch is plainly insane and I'd hope the review committee acts sensibly and gives a still unjust but shorter sentence.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Rambstien
  • Skathen
  • Porthoz
  • simplythebest
  • Justwin
  • kman
  • broncos4life
  • Johnny92
  • sooticus
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.