Teams for Game II

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Interested to hear thoughts on how we best use DCE, I cannot see how we can unless we have an injury. I mean NSW did the same with Reynolds but it was an advantage to us which we just handed up once again by emulating them.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
I would have expected DCE if we'd won game one, but I didn't think he'd get picked this time around given the outcome there. Still don't think it's a bad selection, and they're obviously looking to the future with him, Papili, and McQueen. I'll echo everyone else, though, in saying it's a very light-looking team. I still expect Queensland to win, because they're Queensland, it's in Queensland, and it's a very Queensland thing to do. Plus NSW are having a shocking build up. But if this is how they're going to pick the team for game three as well, i think it may be the Blues' year.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
What choice do we have for game 3 if we win we are committed to this side barring injury.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
DCE can be used to give Smith a rest, to give the halves a hand if one of them gets injured or chokes again (Cronk), and he can also be just subbed in as a forward like Berrigan and Cronk before him - he can certainly defend as well as either of them (if not better).

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I think DCE will come on and play in the halves and Cronk will push to a roving/back-rower role like he did when he came off the bench when Lockyer and Thurston were in the halves. I actually think it's a very good selection. Cronk is one of the more adaptable halves the game had ever seen and it does give us that extra option should injury strike (not that I ever like to see anyone selected just in case someone gets injured). But just that bit more creativity will be an asset I believe.

However it will be hard for any of the above to occur without go-forward, and that is by far and away the biggest concern out of either team in this game. Bench of Hannant, Kennedy, DCE and Papali would've been perfect.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The biggest problem we had was our lack of go forward, a skinny halfback is not going to fix that.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
DCE can be used to give Smith a rest, to give the halves a hand if one of them gets injured or chokes again (Cronk), and he can also be just subbed in as a forward like Berrigan and Cronk before him - he can certainly defend as well as either of them (if not better).
the last thing QLD should do is replace Smith for even 1 second of the game. hes the most important player in the team, and moving him to fit in another halfback is a ridiculous thing to do. smith gets the ball where it needs to go when it needs to be there, and he knows when to run or when to kick. has to play 80, and he does it every week in every game so its not a problem.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Boy am I glad Hannant wasn't picked, he killed it last night.

McQueen starting? :loool:

Cherry will be doing a Reynolds.

Poor team in my opinion.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The biggest problem we had was our lack of go forward, a skinny halfback is not going to fix that.

Not it wasn't. The biggest problem was defence. Followed by Thurston and Cronk playing like ass.

We only lacked go forward in the first half, when the starting team was mostly on the field. We actually dominated in the 2nd.

Besides, I just don't see why 4 forwards are that much better than 3. All you are doing is taking minutes away from your other players. 3 has been a proven number for years now. Now if one of our halves or hooker goes down, then there's trouble. DCE having excellent defence is just a bonus.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
DCE didnt get on the field in his Australian debut, what are the chances he makes it 2 from 2 in rep debuts?

Besides, I just don't see why 4 forwards are that much better than 3.
2 tired forwards come off, 2 fresh forwards come on. thats how its better than 3.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
DCE didnt get on the field in his Australian debut, what are the chances he makes it 2 from 2 in rep debuts?

2 tired forwards come off, 2 fresh forwards come on. thats how its better than 3.

I meant 4 forwards on the bench.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'd really like to know how skinny DCE is going to improve our defence.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'd really like to know how skinny DCE is going to improve our defence.

Because he can tackle and read the game better than Gillett, Te'o or McQueen?

Let me guess, you were against Berrigan too?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
There is so much wrong with that post I don't even know where to start.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.