Testimonial matches

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Wondering what the feeling is about them?

I think the Smith/Thurston match and NRL criteria are a joke.

Why should anyone play a tribute match while they are still playing? Shouldn't it be after they retire as one last go round with their mates? Where is the value to fans and surely it distorts the cap if we continue with this hard cap nonsense (can just offer tribute in future players contracts). Don't see how a trial match is fitting or right place and time either. Neither are brisbane players so playing at Suncorp and expecting broncos fans to line their personal pockets is a bit rich (acknowledge QLD greats but criteria is based on one club rule).

Be far more interested to see a tribute match after a player has retired and with other recently retired and fill rest with young emerging players they can mentor for a couple of weeks in prep. Also if the goal is recognising players, shouldn't most money go to charity of players choice as opposed to lining their retirement fund (which should be ample based on criteria set out). Alternatively why not play in regional areas who haven't had opportunity to see them play to give back to all those supporters?

Good on them for their business acumen but little excitement factor here. Just wait till the next Storm Cowboys NRL match...

It's just another grey area which is open to exploit.

"Near unblemished on and off field record".

To me, it's just more proof that the salary cap is a joke, and it's run by an even bigger joke in the NRL.

Wondering what the feeling is about them?

I think the Smith/Thurston match and NRL criteria are a joke.

Why should anyone play a tribute match while they are still playing? Shouldn't it be after they retire as one last go round with their mates? Where is the value to fans and surely it distorts the cap if we continue with this hard cap nonsense (can just offer tribute in future players contracts). Don't see how a trial match is fitting or right place and time either. Neither are brisbane players so playing at Suncorp and expecting broncos fans to line their personal pockets is a bit rich (acknowledge QLD greats but criteria is based on one club rule).

Be far more interested to see a tribute match after a player has retired and with other recently retired and fill rest with young emerging players they can mentor for a couple of weeks in prep. Also if the goal is recognising players, shouldn't most money go to charity of players choice as opposed to lining their retirement fund (which should be ample based on criteria set out). Alternatively why not play in regional areas who haven't had opportunity to see them play to give back to all those supporters?

Good on them for their business acumen but little excitement factor here. Just wait till the next Storm Cowboys NRL match...

Exactly. By all means hold the match but give the money to charity. Testimonial matches are from a time when there wasn't much money in the game. Giving the profits to a couple of multi-millionaires stinks. If they are half the men the media make them out to be they will refuse to take a cent from it.

Yeah I don't like it either. I wonder what the other players think of playing in a game that just lines the pockets of two players.

Exactly. By all means hold the match but give the money to charity. Testimonial matches are from a time when there wasn't much money in the game. Giving the profits to a couple of multi-millionaires stinks. If they are half the men the media make them out to be they will refuse to take a cent from it.

It should go to developing the game at grassroots level or a charity of their choice like you said. These players have earnt enough money at club and rep football.

Yeah I don't like it either. I wonder what the other players think of playing in a game that just lines the pockets of two players.

Very true. Surely the other players should get a fair share? Where is the players association on this?

Don't begrudge a fair match payment in a testimonial (i. 5000-10000 per player + good insurance cover) but this is greed. Short sighted too for their 'brand' as they move into post NRL lives.

If we had a game for charity in Rockhampton or somewhere that doesn't have NRL games, with a few experimental rules, quarters and extended bench with everyone that retired previous year invited to play (+ best rookies or under 21s) and maybe a few retired English blokes to sell to U.K that would be a fun yearly preseason event. Plus unlike other preseason stuff doesn't add more work to horribly 'overworked' stars bless their poor multi-million dollar hearts.

It's just another grey area which is open to exploit.

"Near unblemished on and off field record".

To me, it's just more proof that the salary cap is a joke, and it's run by an even bigger joke in the NRL.
Wait a second, is this one of the prerequisites? Smith was involved in cheating the cap for years and made the sport slow as **** with wrestling. Smith and the Storm have made the sport almost unwatchable for some.

It's fucking bizarre is what it is. NRL, just when I think you can't be more stupid, you step it up with this shit. Slow clap and a truly dumbfounded shake of the head.

It just doesn't make any sense. What is the NRL wanting to achieve out of this? It's already been mentioned, neither of these players have gone without during their careers, and similarly will be looked after post-career. They do not need the money.

As two of the most influential players, are the NRL trying to get them on-side so that they're resistence of the CBA softens somewhat?

Are they trying to appeal to superstar players who may want to chase the dollars elsewhere that if they stay in the NRL long enough they too will get a big flashy send-off with a cap-free cheque?

I get this weird inkling of a terribly misplaced thought process, that Queenslanders love Smith and JT, and will go absolutely bananas for this. But they don't get that a Storm vs Cowboys game means nothing for most Qld fans. They love those players when they shed their club allegiances and team up to **** up the Blues. Putting them back in their club jerseys and having them play a half-arsed game during the pre-season just spits all over everything that makes the Maroons great.

My only thought is that this is a Part 1 to an eventual NSW wankfest, like a Gallen and Lewis-led Sharks playing against a Roosters team farewelling Pearce, who has finally given up the game to pursue his true calling as professional instagram-model dater and mirror tester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously someone has floated in front of the NRL and they've (as they usually do) spent about one second thinking about it before going, 'yeah, why not?'

The whole thing sticks.

Firstly, JT and Smith are legends of the game and in their final year will be farewelled in style. Much like Lockyer was in 2011.

As others said why is it in Brisbane? Unless they're wearing Maroon will it generate that much interest?

As far as testimonials go maybe it should be geared towards unsung heroes in a team. Guys like a Scott Bolton or an Andrew McCullough. Players who have racked up the years and numbers, who have made an enormous contribution to the team but probably haven't got the rep honours they should have.

I like the idea of testimonial matches but the outcome of what's being proposed now seems a bit wrong.

Perhaps each club could have a testimonial match and whatever they make from it, they split and they can use to give players upgrades that aren't counted towards the cap. But with the condition that it must be spread amongst a certain amount of players, not just one or two. If some clubs fall short, the NRL put in the difference to make it all an even amount.

Or perhaps the players could just forget about their wallets and play to raise money for grassroots or junior development.

How about you get to nominate which player your ticket money gets to go to? Anyone in the squad, even if they're not playing (injured or depth). The fans would be out in droves.

It's bullshit.

@Tom is correct. Testimonial matches originated in another era.

I can't find any recent examples of players pocketing the money from a testimonial (generally the money gets donated to a player's nominated charity).

The NRL need to rethink this and tell them to **** off.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Tim K
  • Alec
  • Griffo
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • Behold
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • mieko
  • BooKhaki
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.