Testimonial matches

This must be aimed at all of those Brisbane fans who jumped on their bandwagons during the finals this year. They'll make a killing.

Thurston and Smith often complain about how over worked they are and how busy the NRL schedule is, don’t seem to have the same complaints when it is lining their own pockets.

It's a trial game, they're just giving it a name and playing it at Lang Park instead of Mt Isa. It's not an extra game.

Thurston and Smith often complain about how over worked they are and how busy the NRL schedule is, don’t seem to have the same complaints when it is lining their own pockets.

It is just another head shaker in a long line of head shakers from the NRL. I mean seriously, a toddler could do a better job.

I thought testimonials were played with both retired and current players of their choosing. So does that mean Bowen will be playing fullback for the cowboys and Cronk halfback for the storm?

It's a trial game, they're just giving it a name and playing it at Lang Park instead of Mt Isa. It's not an extra game.

A trial game that this guys would most likely not be playing unless they were picking up fat stacks.

So will they not be playing football mate?

Testimonials are common in football (soccer) so I don't have that big of an issue with it, it's just strange they're doing it in Brisbane - neither of them played for Brisbane.

It would be like someone from Manchester United, for example, having their testimonial at Wembley, cause they played a few England games there.

They'd wanna make tickets cheap otherwise i don't see why people would attend, it's going to be a friendly **** around, and if they're going to charge more than $10 a ticket I don't think they'll get much of a crowd.

So will they not be playing football mate?

It's not an extra game or extra work. It's one of their three trial games. The work load hasn't increased on the players. It might well be the only trial game Smith or Thurston play.

The argument of players complaining of extra work or overworked isn't valid unless it means they're now going to play four trials.

A trial game that this guys would most likely not be playing unless they were picking up fat stacks.

I think it will be the only trial they do play. It will be close to the last trial and they'll want their 17 players.

Testimonials are common in football (soccer) so I don't have that big of an issue with it, it's just strange they're doing it in Brisbane - neither of them played for Brisbane.

It would be like someone from Manchester United, for example, having their testimonial at Wembley, cause they played a few England games there.

They'd wanna make tickets cheap otherwise i don't see why people would attend, it's going to be a friendly **** around, and if they're going to charge more than $10 a ticket I don't think they'll get much of a crowd.

Live on FOX won't help the crowd either. I think it's strange they did the deal with Fox.

Live on FOX won't help the crowd either. I think it's strange they did the deal with Fox.
I assume fox "bid" for it and they'll get a cut of the profits.

But yeah won't help with the crowds, anyone with a passing interest can flick it on at home.

It's not an extra game or extra work. It's one of their three trial games. The work load hasn't increased on the players. It might well be the only trial game Smith or Thurston play.

The argument of players complaining of extra work or overworked isn't valid unless it means they're now going to play four trials.

Of course it's valid. Because they're whinging with the current setup. So they are still playing the same amount of games, will whinge just as much through the origin period, but will still play all the games they possibly can. They haven't said a word about reducing games now that they know they're going to line their fat pockets with cap free money.

Of course it's valid. Because they're whinging with the current setup. So they are still playing the same amount of games, will whinge just as much through the origin period, but will still play all the games they possibly can. They haven't said a word about reducing games now that they know they're going to line their fat pockets with cap free money.

Thurston will have reduced games next year and Smith will only have one end of year Test to play so they have reduced games across the season.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think trials have ever been included in that whinge- that's up to the club. You could play no trial games if you want. if you whinge about trials whinge to your coach it's not the NRL doing it.

Thurston will have reduced games next year and Smith will only have one end of year Test to play so they have reduced games across the season.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think trials have ever been included in that whinge- that's up to the club. You could play no trial games if you want. if you whinge about trials whinge to your coach it's not the NRL doing it.

So would you agree that these professional athletes who are complaining should STFU and do what they are paid to do then?

I'm not sure if it's been confirmed yet but supposedly the storm have pulled out of the world club challenge due to this testimonial/money grab off the salary cap game. Leeds even offered to play them in Melbourne but they refused.

Just another item to add on the list of the storms goodwill to the game. They are really building up an impressive resume...

Believe it or not this game we love originated in England, and is played in numerous parts of the world. Just because it isn't a big sport in that particular country doesn't mean the people who do support it are any less passionate. This game is important for those English fans and teams.

I'm not sure if it's been confirmed yet but supposedly the storm have pulled out of the world club challenge due to this testimonial/money grab off the salary cap game. Leeds even offered to play them in Melbourne but they refused.

Just another item to add on the list of the storms goodwill to the game. They are really building up an impressive resume...

Believe it or not this game we love originated in England, and is played in numerous parts of the world. Just because it isn't a big sport in that particular country doesn't mean the people who do support it are any less passionate. This game is important for those English fans and teams.

i'm not sure the premiers are permitted to pull out of the game. it could be a part of their licencing agreement with the NRL

i'm not sure the premiers are permitted to pull out of the game. it could be a part of their licencing agreement with the NRL

I wouldn't be doing it. The World Cup doesn't finish until December then you're going to have a huge amount of your team on a break for a month then fly to England and play on no pre-season. Screaming out for a slow start to the year and injuries.

10 teams refused last year. It'll be the same this year. They don't want to do it. England teams are here to play in February surely that's enough.

I wouldn't be doing it. The World Cup doesn't finish until December then you're going to have a huge amount of your team on a break for a month then fly to England and play on no pre-season. Screaming out for a slow start to the year and injuries.

10 teams refused last year. It'll be the same this year. They don't want to do it. England teams are here to play in February surely that's enough.

Were those 10 teams all the premiers?

Active Now

• barker
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Alec
  • Porthoz
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.