OFFICIAL Tevita Pangai is not our problem anymore

Featured
Developing:

At this stage it looks like he's seeing out 2021 and joining the Dogs next year, with Brisbane releasing him from his 2022 contract. If that's the case, the club won't need to subsidize the deal.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
If we are weeding out the idiots wonder what will happen if Haas or Staggs have another issue. Regardless of how good they are as players, you would think we would have to punt them if we are serious about our culture.

thenry

NYC Player
Jul 20, 2017
Threads
If we are weeding out the idiots wonder what will happen if Haas or Staggs have another issue. Regardless of how good they are as players, you would think we would have to punt them if we are serious about our culture.
Interesting to think about. Can a team win a premiership with all good guys? Or do you need a few loose cannons to get it done??

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
Every team has their share of flogs and loose units - its rugby league. But there needs to be some strong personalities that can balance it out, or at least want to win. There’s a tipping point that seperate the storm (Munny, Smith, NAS) from the tigers.

Critical mass I think Ikin called it.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
Every team has their share of flogs and loose units - its rugby league. But there needs to be some strong personalities that can balance it out, or at least want to win. There’s a tipping point that seperate the storm (Munny, Smith, NAS) from the tigers.

If they weren't repeat offenders I don't think it would be much of an issue. Totally agree with your point though

JAHHW

NRL Captain
Aug 24, 2017
Threads

Do you know what buzz word / catch phrase he used when describing our recent free fall? Terminal velocity?

McHunt

State of Origin Rep
Aug 25, 2018
Threads
I dont understand how some people are getting upset with the NRL or Broncos for doing this. Let him go, we dont need him and it benefits our cap. No brainer to clear the decks and move him on. Zero benefit of him sticking around, and why should fans care - he signed with the dogs.
Pangai has a history of pulling this shit.

2016: wangled a year off his Canberra contract to join the 2015 Grand Finalists because he wanted to train under Wayne Bennett.

2020: busted sniffing around Nick Politis, chairman of the 2019 Premiers.

2021: landed a temp gig with the 2021 premiership favourites.

2022: jumping into bed with Phil Gould, who'll do his darndest to get him into a Blues jersey.

The guy is a mercenary.

TariqT

BRL Player
Nov 18, 2019
Threads
Absolutely loved TPJ when he was on fire. Such an entertaining figure and character, and a couple of years ago I was excited to see him as the enforcer and potential leader of the pack. He could destroy any team on his day. When we lost Fifita I wasn't concerned as I thought (and still do) TPJ was the better player.

However if I'm honest (bear with me and the analogy) TPJ reminds me of the really hot women that shows you interest but after a couple of dates only ever returns calls when they choose, but because they are so hot you persist. They then miss a dinner date, they don't show up at your house etc etc, and then you realise, you're not their main focus and they have a few other guys on the go. You either man up and let it go, and behave pathetically and keep chasing the thing that never delivers.

When I watch TPJ on his on game he performs freakishly, but one thing I've never really remember his doing is the hard yards game. There's no memories of him pulling up the sleeves and just getting dirty and tuff to win those games that require that. He can't be accused of being a "flat track bully" necessarily but he's definitely not a down in the trenches kind of player. I think that's what we need right now, and it's unfortunate that requires letting him go.

The other thing I don't recall is TPJ ever rallying those around him. He can definitely inspire with his plays, but he rarely pulls the team together and gives them a rev. He's not the captain, but he is one of the senior players in the pack. There's something not quite developed in him in that regard. He plays as an individual, not selfish per se, just very one out stuff.

To me he's a boy (a bloody big, strong and super skilled one) in a man's body. With that too comes the mentality of a boy. Children are often self focused and rarely focused on those around them. That's what I see in Tevita. It's a shame because he comes across as a likeable guy when interviewed. However interviews don't necessarily go to the way of showing who someone is. Look at most of our politicians for example. They're mostly payed off frauds, yet most buy their public personas.

BroncosFever

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2014
Threads
Now that I have learned what this means for us by him going to Penrith, they should be looking to get rid of Milford while they're at it

That would give us at least an extra 200k for next season

Battler

NRL Captain
Dec 4, 2013
Threads
Also, on NRL 360 when they were discussing the TPJ situation, did anyone notice Kent's response when Vonny said the rich stealing from the poor, and the poor Broncos fans? He said something like, 'well they're only barracking for a piece of cloth' pointing to the jersey on TPJ.
I was thinking, mate if we as fans didn't support the jersey / buy into the tribalism, or 'piece of cloth', the players wouldn't have a job. You Mr. Kent certainly wouldn't have a job. What a weak excuse for a so called League personality/journalist.
It’s a weird mindset, but he’s not alone. After the cows gf there were broncos fans in broncos jerseys (at the ground) genuinely happy that the cows won because they are a “qld club”. It seems like an exclusively Aus thing to make yourself feel like a winner regardless of the outcome. Imagine man city fans gloating about Man U winning the league because “at least a Manchester side won”.

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Threads
There's a difference between messing up and being toxic around the club. Haas would no doubt set the standards at training, that's a guy you want for team culture. Staggs I have no idea but you don't get as fit as Haas without being an elite trainer. They could both be great learners, and always looking to improve even if they do have a history of doing dumb things away from football.

Not that I have any idea what TPJ/Lodge were like but I think it comes down to more than just off field indiscretions.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
There's a difference between messing up and being toxic around the club. Haas would no doubt set the standards at training, that's a guy you want for team culture. Staggs I have no idea but you don't get as fit as Haas without being an elite trainer. They could both be great learners, and always looking to improve even if they do have a history of doing dumb things away from football.

Not that I have any idea what TPJ/Lodge were like but I think it comes down to more than just off field indiscretions.
Never really heard anything bad about Lodge or Pangai as trainers. I was more thinking can we tolerate more off field dramas from repeat offenders. It's a tricky position we are in right now in that regard

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Threads
Never really heard anything bad about Lodge or Pangai as trainers. I was more thinking can we tolerate more off field dramas from repeat offenders. It's a tricky position we are in right now in that regard
Let's just hope they've both learned because they are far and away our best two players. It would freaking suck if we had to let them go.

Mar 6, 2021
Threads
It’s a weird mindset, but he’s not alone. After the cows gf there were broncos fans in broncos jerseys (at the ground) genuinely happy that the cows won because they are a “qld club”. It seems like an exclusively Aus thing to make yourself feel like a winner regardless of the outcome. Imagine man city fans gloating about Man U winning the league because “at least a Manchester side won”.
I've never understood this mentality to be honest. Every club is in opposition to mine. I hate them all equally. Also, I have never seen a Cowboys fan barrack for the Broncos as a second team "because QLD". Seems to be a bronco fan thing.

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
I've never understood this mentality to be honest. Every club is in opposition to mine. I hate them all equally. Also, I have never seen a Cowboys fan barrack for the Broncos as a second team "because QLD". Seems to be a bronco fan thing.

I hate this more than anything. I hate that to most Broncos fans, the QLD origin team means more. Brisbane is awesome. The rest of Queensland is a shit hole. Cowboys and Titans are scumbag clubs.

The half Bronco/half NQ scarves at the 2015 GF make me sick. They played clips of the 2015 GF at Suncorp Stadium the very next year, because yaaay little brother, what a great grand final. Do we not have any pride?

The line "we are the Broncos of Queensland" in the club song annoys me so much. We aren't the Queensland Broncos, we are Brisbane.

At our home stadium we have statues of players from other teams. While Mal and Artie are definitely fine to have there and not distasteful, the time is coming where we will see a Billy Slater/Cameron Smith/Jonathan Thurston statue outside of our stadium.

We are a team in Queensland, we are the premier team in Queensland, but we need to start separating ourselves from the Queensland of it all, and start being Brisbane.

*ahem* good luck Tevita.

McHunt

State of Origin Rep
Aug 25, 2018
Threads
TPJ is tickled pink to be joining the Bulldogs:

“I love the roster they are building. I’ve heard a lot about Trent and the way he sees the game. David Furner signed me when I was a young boy at Newcastle to go to the Raiders."

“Having him there looking after my defence and holding me accountable, then having Trent Barrett who is one of the greatest attacking minds in the game, it was an easy choice for me to go to the Dogs. The attraction of working with Gus and him working his magic with the roster, I think it’s going to be back to being a strong club again. It’s a big club, and once big clubs get rolling they are hard to stop. With Gus back, there’s only good days ahead.”

“I won’t live too far away from Sonny. I will be making sure I’m living around good people. Sonny is a good influence on me. In this time in my life I want to be around good people and strong-minded people.”

“It’s nothing against the Tigers. I just felt the roster the Bulldogs were building suited me. I’m sure the Tigers will build. They have a great coach in Michael Maguire that’s won a comp as a coach. Not many coaches can say they’ve gone to the big dance and won. I’m sure that they’ll find good players and build a good team. Michael Maguire and Adam Hartigan (Wests Tigers football manager) are good fellas. But at this time in my career I feel the Bulldogs are the best for me with their roster and coaching staff.”

“I thought it was all dead and buried. But I spoke to Ivan and Cameron Ciraldo and wanted to strike something. I told them I was willing to come. I know they have a strong team already. I’m glad I got the consent of the Broncos and Bulldogs. They’ve been helpful letting me go to a club like the Panthers. I think it will be a good for my development."

“I didn’t want to leave. I’m shattered I have to leave, but that’s footy. Sometimes you get the tap on the shoulder and you have to make way. They said it would be best for both parties. Ben Ikin is a nice fella. I got to know him for a few weeks. It was different not seeing him on my screen every night. Both him and Dave Donaghy have been great to me. I’m happy they get what they want and I get what I want, which is an opportunity to work with Gus and Trent in Sydney.”

“It was such a hard time in 2018, knowing which side to take. Do you take the side of the CEO and what they’re trying to achieve? Or do you take the side of the best coach in the game and someone who I came to this club just to be coached by?"

" It was sad the way it ended with Wayne. He’s one of the greatest coaches. He knew how to coach me. I wouldn’t say I’m different, but he knew how to get the best out of me. But at the end of the day it’s up to me to put in consistent performances. Payne Haas has had three different coaches, but his performances don’t waiver. That’s what great athletes do, when there’s adversity they can still play great footy.”

“I don’t think it’s too much of a risk for Penrith. If it’s a small role off the bench or if it’s just helping out at training running shapes for the reserve grade team - I’m just happy to help out and learn, man. I want to learn off the great players they have like Nathan Cleary and the great coaches like Ciraldo and Ivan.”

McHunt

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Threads
FFS: Just saw him on Channel 9, he is devastated to be leaving etc. (I nearly chocked on my glass of water)

Why then do you have 'secret' talks with a rival team.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Rep
Jul 28, 2016
Threads
The broncos have only really indicated that Lodge and TPJ have been moved on to ease salary cap pressures.

It's only been speculation that they were bad eggs from a cultural sense... so from that sense they management haven't really set a precedent of moving players on. They have been talking about resetting the culture, but misdemeanours doesn't necessarily have to automatically result in termination.

Team P W L PD Pts
19 17 2 465 36
19 16 3 305 34
19 16 3 231 34
19 13 6 189 28
19 13 6 146 28
18 11 7 151 24
18 8 10 -40 18
19 8 11 -82 18
19 8 11 -82 18
19 8 11 -147 18
18 7 11 -52 16
19 6 13 -129 14
19 6 13 -152 14
19 6 13 -226 14
19 5 14 -247 12
18 2 16 -330 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lazza

Members online

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.