Thaiday goes off-script at hooker

Please, Macca is irrelevant to our side, he's easily replaceable and I hope whatever he was signed on reflects that.

The #9 is such an important position, that by all rights we should be screwed after losing Macca who is our main #9, yet it's made no difference, if anything we've improved. That's say a lot.

Defence has been good too. So much about it falling apart without Maccas 50 odd tackles. Biggest thing however is threat and speed out which gives runners space and time to move. At end of the day assuming his knee recovers we are likely stuck with Macca next few years unless we unearth a young and cheap gun. Hopefully Macca is watching this and taking in how disposable he appears and wake up. While he has been better in attack this year he has been complacent for so many years. He works hard but needs to define where a hooker adds most value which is as the start of the attack. Selecting a defensive hooker is not that far behind the stupidity of picking a halfback because he is a good defender (Mitchell Pearce...). Can't have a turnstile and important to hold the ruck together but don't need 50 or 60 tackles if it comes at price of the whole teams attacking structure. Also time to find a couple promising 18-20 year old hookers because without major improvement in attack don't want Macca on another long contract.

Like Maccas work ethic and team commitment but have no time for players that are too stupid to learn or just sabotage others performance intentionally or unintentionally. There is a place for that sort of behaviour... the Gold Coast (maybe St George too).

We don't need million dollar players, Granville wasn't chasing a million, neither was Parcell but with Macca there we've never given another hooker a go, it's just been a utility player with no interest in being a 9 who fills in for 20 minutes a game.
Like I said, it may not have been the right decision. But, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Macca does his job well enough that juniors aren't going to get a look in unfortunately. He gives a 7/10 game every game all his career, he may not be the best hooker but you can't justify dropping for a junior coming through. We didn't gamble and we lost with Granville (that was pre-Bennett so if a hooker is knocking down the door like Granville was I think they get the opportunity from Bennett tbh). Parcell isn't better then Macca, his time at manly showed this. If a team performing better is the indicator you want to use to judge a hooker (it shouldn't be) then manly are going a little better without parcell I suppose then. The Queensland selectors rate Macca, so he probably isn't the area of our team that is going to stop us winning a premiership I'd suspect

One change that I've noticed with Hunt is that he doesn't defend in between the two props, which is the typical spot for a hooker and where macca pumps out 50 tackles.

It's a masterstroke from Bennett to reduce the defensive load on his makeshift hooker and I wonder if Bennett may use this in the future to ease the defensive load on macca.

I feel that macca senses his best attribute is his defence and he'll try and get in every tackle pumping out 60 tackles in 60mins and being spent on the field.

I just don't think hooker is a complicated position and doesn't it look like after a minimal search effort we didn't just find one guy to do the job, we found two ! That's aside from the fact that we didn't even have to go outside the main playing group. Like I said, we may have others in the team who might be able to cover the position well...what if we found Pearson could do it or any number of others ? It's a simple enough role and I reckon it'd be more fun....a chance to kick, play like a halfback or 5/8, run whenever you catch a fast ptb or set up a centre wing raid...or just shovel it out and make tackles like Macca does so averagely well( new word ha ha )

I just don't think hooker is a complicated position and doesn't it look like after a minimal search effort we didn't just find one guy to do the job, we found two ! That's aside from the fact that we didn't even have to go outside the main playing group. Like I said, we may have others in the team who might be able to cover the position well...what if we found Pearson could do it or any number of others ? It's a simple enough role and I reckon it'd be more fun....a chance to kick, play like a halfback or 5/8, run whenever you catch a fast ptb or set up a centre wing raid...or just shovel it out and make tackles like Macca does so averagely well( new word ha ha )

Bird.

Yes please ! We get everything then and it might make us the complete package...wonder if we could start next year off like that ....of course two guys, Macca and Milf may be still several rounds from returning so perhaps Bird's nest is made....

He wants more involvement... swap Macca and bird during the game. Macca can be the tackling bag in the middle, bird can do last 20 of each half at hooker. No interchange used and Macca would be fine as a ball playing lock. Just need to get front row using the extra interchanges for an impact prop at all times to make up for lost meters. At moment with sims and Blair don't have a huge meter eating Prop on most of time anyway. Macca would still have to fix his slow service. Agree with previous poster next 3 months with disabled knee is pure pass the ball quick practice for fast twitch fibres.

Hmm. So for next year, McGuire moves back to prop.
Macca starts off at 9 for the first 20mins of each half. He then slots into lock(?) for the second 20 of each half.

Bird shifts from centre(?) into the 9 for the 2nd 20mins of each half. A benchie slots into the backs when bird shifts?

Then who starts off the first 20 of each half as lock. TPJ? He was seen as our long-term lock. Although having him start blunts his impact.

Macca starts off at 9 for the first 20mins of each half. He then slots into lock(?) for the second 20 of each half.

Bird shifts from centre(?) into the 9 for the 2nd 20mins of each half. A benchie slots into the backs when bird shifts?

Then who starts off the first 20 of each half as lock. TPJ? He was seen as our long-term lock. Although having him start blunts his impact.

No way you make that many mid match positional changes.

Bird will play the one position

Macca will play the 80 at 9

Yeah, it is a little crazy. But people want Bird to be more involved. And Macca lacks some attacking spark. It seems like a win if we can get Bird in that role more. But with Macca being an 80 min player, it might just be too much.

I wonder about the possibility of Thaiday starting at lock in a similar way he is starting at hooker. Soak up some early pressure. Get bird in after? Get bird more involved at dummy half? But still keep Macca in the 9 technically and defensively for the 80.

So we carry a back on the bench to move into centres? Don't think it will work.

A month ago, everyone would had said that Sammy at 9 is ridiculous.

Not saying bird couldn't play there, but he shouldn't. Fullback, centre or lock is where he should be be. No doubt we will look at someone else for that role.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.