Thaiday goes off-script at hooker

I am actually a Macca fan he's become a lot more potent in attack since the start of the year. He's really impressed me in the effort he's putting in to improve himself and the team. There is a reason he got called in the qld camp, he was impressing the more he played.
Though we need that impact off the bench at hooker, like we had with Niko. The game is too long and intense for a hooker to play the whole game ( unless your a freak like smith.). We should be looking at getting a good impact hooker.

Hey I'm liking what Thaiday is doing but I think a lot of people have got ahead of themselves with what's viable. What we're doing is an extremely short term option. It's got teams scrambling for now but it won't take long for teams to work out how to totally exploit Sammy's deficiencies. It's debateable whether it will even be viable by the end of the finals series - someone like Cam Smith will probably have all the video he needs by then. Hunt will be a bit harder to work out just because of his unpredictability but there's no way he'll be able to see out 80, or even 60 minutes in the middle without totally blunting his energy.

Maccas deficiencies have been exposed. Unless he reinvents his himself and comes back after the injury as a new player his time in first grade will be at an end. For too long we have laboured without a genuine hooker with a complete skill set and the Broncos of 2018 won't tolerate it. I predict Macca, .loyal servant and great clubman won't play more than half a season next year unless he backs himself and becomes more like Robbie Farrah.

Maccas deficiencies have been exposed. Unless he reinvents his himself and comes back after the injury as a new player his time in first grade will be at an end. For too long we have laboured without a genuine hooker with a complete skill set and the Broncos of 2018 won't tolerate it. I predict Macca, .loyal servant and great clubman won't play more than half a season next year unless he backs himself and becomes more like Robbie Farrah.

We've just re-signed him for 4 years

Huge, I just can't see Macca as a white-anting, egotistical, back-stabbing coach killer. I would prefer he backs himself and plays like Cameron Smith, but each to their own.

Who's going to make that call though

Maccas deficiencies have been exposed. Unless he reinvents his himself and comes back after the injury as a new player his time in first grade will be at an end. For too long we have laboured without a genuine hooker with a complete skill set and the Broncos of 2018 won't tolerate it. I predict Macca, .loyal servant and great clubman won't play more than half a season next year

I can't see that happening....but like you, I'm prepared to dream.

Huge, I just can't see Macca as a white-anting, egotistical, back-stabbing coach killer. I would prefer he backs himself and plays like Cameron Smith, but each to their own.
Yeah, not that part of Farrah but I'll assume you were having a laugh

Dare I say .... that's a HUGE call :biggrin:

Yeah, not that part of Farrah but I'll assume you were having a laugh

Guilty as charged your Honour (and being a smart arse pointing out that you weren't specific about the qualities of Farrah that Macca should be channeling).

Hmm. So for next year, McGuire moves back to prop.
Macca starts off at 9 for the first 20mins of each half. He then slots into lock(?) for the second 20 of each half.

Bird shifts from centre(?) into the 9 for the 2nd 20mins of each half. A benchie slots into the backs when bird shifts?

Then who starts off the first 20 of each half as lock. TPJ? He was seen as our long-term lock. Although having him start blunts his impact.

No. Macca starts at 9. Bird starts as lock (or vice versa if required). They switch as required in attack. Macca keeps at 9 in defence between 2 props. Let him soak defence and Bird a crack at tired forwards. Both would be extra ball playing forward at lock. With Bird more useful as a running lock. Macca would provide extra kicking and first receiver occasionally.

Main issue for me is doesn't solve 2 problems. Maccas slow service and lack of forward push where only have 2 props instead of using lock as third Prop. Especially with Gillo, Glenn and Thaiday in second row not being great meter eaters.

Maybe keep Bird on bench for first 20 so TPJ can start at lock then Bird at 9 rest of game and Macca plays till 50 or 60 at lock. TPJ comes back as impact for last 20 or 30. But would bird settle for 9 and only 60 mins a game? Given lack of quality 9s after Cam smith might become Australian 9 in a couple of years.

Only took what? 4 games for this to backfire?

How? We kept dropping the ball every set and yes, Thaiday was as guilty as anyone but not when he was hooker that I recall, it was when he had gone to the forwards.

Sam was awful through out the entire game. Whatever 'defensive thrust' he was supposed to add was completely non-existent and some of his passes through his team mates off, including one to Blair which led directly to a try.

This notion that anybody can do it was completely exposed tonight, just like it was exposed last year with McGuire.

Sam was awful through out the entire game. Whatever 'defensive thrust' he was supposed to add was completely non-existent and some of his passes through his team mates off, including one to Blair which led directly to a try.

This notion that anybody can do it was completely exposed tonight, just like it was exposed last year with McGuire.

What are our other options?

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • jd87
  • Dony Eliakim
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncotville
  • phoenix
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
  • Manofoneway
  • mitch222
  • BroncosAlways
  • Morkel
  • theshed
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.