The “I forgot he played for us” Thread

Shane Duffy aka ( space cadet) only new one way run at full tilt into the opposition.

Fullback​

Shane Duffy (22 matches) – 1988-1989 – 14 wins, eight losses, no points. One final, one loss.
Shane Duffy came out of Mount Isa and made a bit of a splash up in North Queensland before becoming the 26th player signed to the Broncos for their debut year in 1988.

When incumbent Colin Scott went down injured in Round 11, Duffy made his debut and put in some quality work over the remainder of the season. Duffy was named rookie of the year, alongside Kerrod Walters.

Advertisement
Duffy started 1989 as the first-choice fullback and was the custodian as Brisbane won their first ever trophy – the 1989 Panasonic Cup pre-season competition.

It all went downhill after that and after the first 11 rounds of 1989 he was replaced at fullback. Duffy’s final game for Brisbane was coming off the bench in the 1989 playoff for fifth between Brisbane and Cronulla.

But remember Prince played for us again, the last game of the season was against the Bulldogs (the year before Barba joined us, he had signed by that point but was playing against us), I remember Prince making a last-ditch 1-on-1 try-saver in the corner that secured us the victory.
Yea Prince’s second stint is entirely forgettable. I actually remembered it as Prince playing a bit part role like Benji did in his stint but he actually managed 22 games for us as our first choice 5/8. He was in a stomach churning spine of 1. Norman, 6. Prince, 7. Wallace, 9.McCullough.

Ended the season as our top point scorer.

Motu Tony, he only played 1 didn't he?

I remember being excited that we'd signed him, and as soon as he'd arrived he was off to the UK lol. Does anyone know - did he have designs on the FB spot and saw the writing on the wall once Khunt debuted?

I remember being excited that we'd signed him, and as soon as he'd arrived he was off to the UK lol. Does anyone know - did he have designs on the FB spot and saw the writing on the wall once Khunt debuted?

Yeah kind of like Mitch Garbagebutt

Yeah kind of like Mitch Garbagebutt
I think the Broncos were a bit short on props...not like the dark ages where Nick Kenny was the best one at the club (and nothing against him, he did a good job), but it still was looking a bit bleak so we were hyped for anything. It ended up being a bit unnecessary though as Thaiday and Blair ended up having some of the best seasons of their career.

Does anyone remember that Berrick Barnes played 9 games for us? He went on to play 51 tests for the Wallabies.
Yep I do. I remember being disappointed he left because he looked like a promising playmaker.

A couple of promising wingers who never remotely lived up to the hype ... Leon Bott and Steve Irwin.

Irwin is probably best known as a passenger of a car driven by a Raiders superstar (was it Dugan ir Carney maybe), who got into a police incident. Irwin had his contract terminated, the superstar was given another chance.
Carney on his road to career destruction.

I have a few for you all primarily from the early years:

Andrew Tessmann
Brad Tessmann
Shane Duffy
Brook Kennedy
Bob Conway

I have a few for you all primarily from the early years:

Andrew Tessmann
Brad Tessmann
Shane Duffy
Brook Kennedy
Bob Conway
I was going to mention Shane Duffy, he used to run the ball back as hard as anyone ever has, I remember he got smashed by Cement Gillespie one game and got up and played the ball like nothing happened to him.

Another player is Grant Rix he played around 20 games for the Broncos and played fullback occasionally when Bennet preferred him to Shane Duffy.

Grant had two full knee reconstructions which pretty much stuffed his career, he did however win a Challenge Cup Final with Halifax playing centre.

Paul Hauff then cemented himself in the fullback roll for the next few years.

One of my favourite Broncos was Gavin Allen, only slight for a prop, usually played lock, however, he made a good case for playing prop with his very high work rate. He played in our first grand final win in 1992 and gave Alfie the fortuitous pass for our first try. Was dead set unfortunate that the Broncos signed Glen Lazarus who took his starting spot and forced him to the bench.

He was also one of the best in the unwinnable 1995 origin series, when Paul Vautin picked him to lead the forwards.

He actually played his entire career with a congenital heart condition and eventually received a heart transplant.

A little bit about him if you would like a quick read.

One of my favourite Broncos was Gavin Allen, only slight for a prop, usually played lock, however, he made a good case for playing prop with his very high work rate. He played in our first grand final win in 1992 and gave Alfie the fortuitous pass for our first try. Was dead set unfortunate that the Broncos signed Glen Lazarus who took his starting spot and forced him to the bench.

He was also one of the best in the unwinnable 1995 origin series, when Paul Vautin picked him to lead the forwards.

He actually played his entire career with a congenital heart condition and eventually received a heart transplant.

My uncle (who the family hasn't seen in 20 years) was his manager at one stage. **** knows how, but we all got a shit-tonne of Broncos jerseys this one time. Probably one of the random events that led to me to be a Broncos tragic.

My uncle (who the family hasn't seen in 20 years) was his manager at one stage. **** knows how, but we all got a shit-tonne of Broncos jerseys this one time. Probably one of the random events that led to me to be a Broncos tragic.
Thanks for the response Morkel, when the Broncos were down on front row stocks he put his hand up to stack on some weight by eating heaps of steaks and tried to claim the cost back on his tax as a business deduction as part of his routine eating schedule to increase his weight (probably your Uncles idea), he had a corner of the bar at the Paddo unofficially named after him called Jeds corner, he used to sit there and eat his steak and drink beer pretty much every day of the week, champion fella he is, and in reasonable health since his heart transplant a few years back.

Allen was great.

Also from that time period, Mark Hohn. Jensen reminds me of him. No frills player that gets through their work whilst their front row partner (Lazo) gets all the attention and makes the bigger plays.

Allen was great.

Also from that time period, Mark Hohn. Jensen reminds me of him. No frills player that gets through their work whilst their front row partner (Lazo) gets all the attention and makes the bigger plays.

Allen, Hohn and Carne are best mates and walk together every morning. Carne named his son Jed after Allen.

After seeing a random post from the Dolphins it hit me that for a brief cup of coffee Sam Tagatese played for us. Don’t remember one game or thing he did but it did happen.

After seeing a random post from the Dolphins it hit me that for a brief cup of coffee Sam Tagatese played for us. Don’t remember one game or thing he did but it did happen.

I reckon John Asiata and Ryan James will end up like that too eventually where you go oh yeah, they did didn’t they. Lagi Setu is another. A bit left field but maybe James Roberts too.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • mieko
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  • Turks85
  • Galah
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Gaz
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.