The Anti-Bronco Conspiracy

So how does it work? There have been eight CEO’s since the start of the Broncos and three commission chairman. Do they pass on the secret file to each other?

Do they get like a branding?
How haven’t any of the eight said anything? Paying them?

163 refs in the NRL era? So 163 corrupt people all on the take!

What a web!
You'll remember the early days - there's a reason why the broncos have a policy of never criticising the code or the refs.

We've been up against it in certain ways - it's not a constant thing - it's just thing things often don't square up for us.

In the early days, had challenges under the NSWRL system, they "allowed" us in and when we started winning, they didn't like that very much. It came out in different ways, most often in ways they could get away with scrutiny, like players charged and facing the judiciary. No teflon tri-colour jerseys in Brisbane that's for sure. In 30 odd years, the only real shocking "let off" for us was Hodgo for the GF. We practically always lose if we contest which is why they rarely ever do.

Then there are the referees - remember Tony fucking Archer..... Through the Broncos golden years - we had a win rate in the 40%s under that half-wit. He fucking HATED us. Conversely, our win rates under Bill Harrigan (arguably the best ref to ever blow the whistle) and Kelvin Jeffes were alarmingly different.

Then there was the directive given to referees to "not be swayed by the crowd at lang park". We always drew the biggest crowd, made the most noise - and a directive was issued - believing that we got our way through pressuring the ref.

The social media planting of "penalty broncos" in an era when we, season after season were at or very near the bottom of the penalty received stats.

We offended the old guard by busting into the NSWRL. We offended them again with Super League. They just like to run a bit of a harsher ruler over our club form time to time.

It used to build a bit of a seige mentality at the club and among the player group and they were stronger for it. These days, I'm not sure the youth 'get it' as they didn't grow up seeing this shit over the last 35 years.

There's bias, it varies in depth - we're the glamour club of the north and they don't love us - good I guess. **** NSW.

To me I think in general there is a Sydney centric bias across the league and that the media do have an influence on perceptions and narrative across the competition. The level of influence can be debated, but I don't think its presence can be.

On the field if a referee makes a mistake they get absolutely destroyed in the media the next day... to avoid this a referee may look to make the 'easy call' as damage control... their goal is to be invisible in a game and just stay the **** out of the newspaper... there's square ups when they stuff up or are overly influencing a game... everyone knows of these things i.e. "how's Trent?".

Ch 9 and Fox create the 'draw' every year and they're only objective is eyeballs on screens ... and to the NRL they are the most important stakeholder, because they pay the bills... even though we are the ones that actually have the fucking eyeballs. Does the NRL have the same objective as their tv partners... to an extent yes, but shouldn't their main goal be growth of the game and expansion across the country for a 'National' Rugby League competition and securing a long term sustainable future for the game.

Whenever a conference system is brought up it's Sydney vs the rest, because 'it makes sense'... how does it makes sense to have half the comp travelling all over Australia and NZ, whilst the others can take a bus every week... or does it make sense because 9 and Fox then have an excuse to play Sydney teams against each other every week, and put the backwater teams that don't matter to them at whoever the **** cares timeslots.

9 and Fox are effectively in control of which teams get promoted instead of equal promotion across the competition. They control which teams are televised and when, and have a monopoly on media coverage for the game. They tell us that souths, parra, rorters, etc. are heavyweights of the comp and then put them on Thursday, Friday and Sunday, but they've spent more time out of the 8 this year than in it.... and yet Warriors, who are in the top 4, have barely rated a mention across their entire existence... outside of "geez how good are the warriors going"... because they don't draw a crowd.

This can influence decisions in the game... players want to go to 'good' teams, so suddenly the 'good' teams get players at lower prices because they want to go to successful clubs and 'good' systems... whereas 'bad' teams have to overpay just to get a player to even consider them. That starts to skew and create imbalance in the competition... even though there is a salary cap. The imbalance allows a team to artificially go above the cap whilst others are handicapped, furthering a team's success and creating a rich get richer system whilst hindering a lower team's opportunity to get up the ladder and become a 'good' team.

If any conspiracy does exist then it's being driven by the stakeholders within 9 and Fox, and it's really only about increasing exposure to the teams that generate them clicks and views, and they can do it through their control on promotion and monopoly on media coverage.

Broncos have obviously benefited from this current system, because we get a shit ton of prime tv slots across the draw... however, that draws anger from the audience... and so they'll tune in to see if we lose... either way they've got their eyeballs on screens.

As a result we are an antagonist of the league, but we're not alone. The clubs that are heavily promoted are generally hated across the audience (souths, rorters, panthers, parra, broncos, storm, etc.), probably because fans are sick of seeing them all the time and sick of media bleating on about them ad nauseam.

There's a general disparity across the league in regards to equal promotion and attention... and the NRL are losing more and more control of creating equality on that front. Probably because they're scared of losing the pay cheque from 9 and Fox, and also because whatever they're doing is generating eyeballs on screens, so if it's working... let's leave it up to them.... but is it them and they're promotion of the game OR is the game sustaining, and possibly growing, itself in spite of the piss poor media coverage it actually gets.

Is 9 and Fox's method for promoting the game actually helping or hindering the game? That's up for debate... Fox promote the shit out of the game nonstop compared to 9 and they would love to have more games to put on screens.... but I daresay their constant favouritism of teams gets on the nerve of a lot of fans.

Do 9 and Fox care? Hell no... the content they already have access to generates some of the highest ratings on TV and that's primarily from two fucking states in the country.

Could they make more money if the comp expanded? Maybe... but they'd probably be happier having more teams in Qld and NSW... they'd probably be happier if NZ and Storm relocated to Qld and NSW as well.

To me I think in general there is a Sydney centric bias across the league and that the media do have an influence on perceptions and narrative across the competition. The level of influence can be debated, but I don't think its presence can be.
This is why we should be happier about another qld club. It tilts the bias toward a little less Sydney centric

This is why we should be happier about another qld club. It tilts the bias toward a little less Sydney centric
Dolphins have already been copping the Brisbane treatment with Kaufusi failing at the judiciary... I'm more than happy to share the garbage calls around.

If The keeps playing with the heart they are, they will be fun to watch when Broncs aren't playing as well.
Yeah I wanted to hate them so bad but they play such a likeable brand of footy that they have won me over. Even Tesi’s heroic efforts last night, where was that heart over the last fever years

Yeah I wanted to hate them so bad but they play such a likeable brand of footy that they have won me over. Even Tesi’s heroic efforts last night, where was that heart over the last fever years

Not only that, Tesi was barking orders at times. Where was that when he was with us?

Not only that, Tesi was barking orders at times. Where was that when he was with us?
…coaching ?

Nervous Sweats GIF

One thing that sticks with me on the topic of this thread is the draw. Broncos have consistently had one of the toughest draws out of the whole comp the past 4 years, as judged by the NRL themselves. Bulldogs and Roosters were there with us for a couple of years but are both well down the list this year.

Conversely, look at the teams who continually get 'soft' draws - Cowboys are the glaring example, with the Titans and Dragons both also conspicuous at the bottom end in recent years.

2020:

2019:

What is glaringly obvious is that we are the only team to have more than 13 games against the previous years' finalists in the past 3 years. But not only that - we have had more than 13 in ALL of these 3 years. 14, 14 and 15. Again, no-one else has had more than 13 even once across these 3 years. The calculated figure aside, this is patently unfair - especially considering we won the spoon just 3 years ago.

It would be interesting to add up all the scores and games against top 8 opponents from the past 4 years to get an overall picture of draw strength, if anyone has the time or inclination, but I would guess we sit alone at the top and probably by some margin.

So - does this indicate a conspiracy or an anti-Bronco bias/agenda at some level within the NRL?

One thing that sticks with me on the topic of this thread is the draw. Broncos have consistently had one of the toughest draws out of the whole comp the past 4 years, as judged by the NRL themselves. Bulldogs and Roosters were there with us for a couple of years but are both well down the list this year.

Conversely, look at the teams who continually get 'soft' draws - Cowboys are the glaring example, with the Titans and Dragons both also conspicuous at the bottom end in recent years.

View attachment 21569
View attachment 21570
View attachment 21571

2020:
View attachment 21572

2019:
View attachment 21573

What is glaringly obvious is that we are the only team to have more than 13 games against the previous years' finalists in the past 3 years. But not only that - we have had more than 13 in ALL of these 3 years. 14, 14 and 15. Again, no-one else has had more than 13 even once across these 3 years. The calculated figure aside, this is patently unfair - especially considering we won the spoon just 3 years ago.

It would be interesting to add up all the scores and games against top 8 opponents from the past 4 years to get an overall picture of draw strength, if anyone has the time or inclination, but I would guess we sit alone at the top and probably by some margin.

So - does this indicate a conspiracy or an anti-Bronco bias/agenda at some level within the NRL?
Broncos get crowds and good teams get big crowds. Broncos v good teams = profit

View attachment 21569
View attachment 21570
View attachment 21571

2020:
View attachment 21572

2019:
View attachment 21573

OK so I did the numbers for the past 4 years:

Broncos - 894 score, 43 games against top 8
Bulldogs - 864, 38 games v top 8
Roosters - 856, 37 v top 8
Warriors - 856, 36 v top 8
Storm - 848, 36 v top 8
Eels - 844, 36 v top 8
Manly - 837, 36 v top 8
Rabbits - 836, 33 v top 8
Tigers - 833, 36 v top 8
Panthers - 824, 36 v top 8
Titans - 824, 33 v top 8
Raiders - 822, 33 v top 8
Dragons - 813, 35 v top 8
Sharks - 807, 33 v top 8
Knights - 804, 32 v top 8
Cowboys - 804, 32 v top 8

Average - 835.4 and 35.3

Broncos are 30 points clear of 2nd hardest draw (Dogs) and 90 points clear of the easiest draws (Cowboys and Knights). We are also further above the average (54.6 points) than the teams with the softest draws are below it (31.4), clearly putting the Broncos as a high outlier compared to the rest of the competition.

Broncos also have 5 more games against top 8 sides than anyone else over the past 3 years, and a whopping 11 games more than the easiest draws (again Cows and Knights). For reference, 11 games is more than some teams play top 8 sides across an entire season (Raiders this year only play 2022's top 8 sides 8 times all year; and Cows, Knights, Sharks and Titans all had 10 games v top 8 sides in one of the past 3 years).

Again, keep in mind this is not just one year. This is across the last four years of the comp. I also thought I'd go back a bit further out of interest just to check where the Broncos sat and while it's not as bad as the past few years, we still get a harder draw than most, most years:

2018 - 10th hardest
2017 - 8th hardest
2016 - 5th hardest
2015 - 5th hardest
2014 - 3rd hardest
2013 - 13th hardest

I just don't think this is fair. In a so-called professional sport, where there is a salary cap to keep things 'fair', one team should NOT consistently get a harder draw than every other team in the competition. To illustrate further, if the salary cap ($12.1M this year) was split across 16 teams (leaving out the Phins here as they're new this year) based on their draw difficulty over the past 4 years, we would have an extra $1.31M under the cap than the Cows and Knights ($12.95M compared to $11.64M). That's a marquee player, or two better-than-average players. Heck we'd even have $0.45M more cap than the team with the next hardest draw ($12.5M) which is a solid enough top 17 player. That's what the difference is in the draw.

I know to be the best you have to beat the best, but we shouldn't have to beat the best consistently more than everyone else in what's a purportedly 'fair' competition. It's garbage.

Storm - 848, 36 v top 8
Eels - 844, 36 v top 8
Manly - 837, 36 v top 8
Tigers - 833, 36 v top 8
Titans - 824, 33 v top 8
Sharks - 807, 33 v top 8

Average - 835.4 and 35.3

Broncos are 30 points clear of 2nd hardest draw (Dogs) and 90 points clear of the easiest draws (Cowboys and Knights). We are also further above the average (54.6 points) than the teams with the softest draws are below it (31.4), clearly putting the Broncos as a high outlier compared to the rest of the competition.

Broncos also have 5 more games against top 8 sides than anyone else over the past 3 years, and a whopping 11 games more than the easiest draws (again Cows and Knights). For reference, 11 games is more than some teams play top 8 sides across an entire season (Raiders this year only play 2022's top 8 sides 8 times all year; and Cows, Knights, Sharks and Titans all had 10 games v top 8 sides in one of the past 3 years).

Again, keep in mind this is not just one year. This is across the last four years of the comp. I also thought I'd go back a bit further out of interest just to check where the Broncos sat and while it's not as bad as the past few years, we still get a harder draw than most, most years:

2018 - 10th hardest
2017 - 8th hardest
2016 - 5th hardest
2015 - 5th hardest
2014 - 3rd hardest
2013 - 13th hardest

I just don't think this is fair. In a so-called professional sport, where there is a salary cap to keep things 'fair', one team should NOT consistently get a harder draw than every other team in the competition. To illustrate further, if the salary cap ($12.1M this year) was split across 16 teams (leaving out the Phins here as they're new this year) based on their draw difficulty over the past 4 years, we would have an extra $1.31M under the cap than the Cows and Knights ($12.95M compared to $11.64M). That's a marquee player, or two better-than-average players. Heck we'd even have $0.45M more cap than the team with the next hardest draw ($12.5M) which is a solid enough top 17 player. That's what the difference is in the draw.

I know to be the best you have to beat the best, but we shouldn't have to beat the best consistently more than everyone else in what's a purportedly 'fair' competition. It's garbage.
Cows having the softest draw on top of being at the top of the penalties awarded chart consistently

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

Storm - 848, 36 v top 8
Eels - 844, 36 v top 8
Manly - 837, 36 v top 8
Tigers - 833, 36 v top 8
Titans - 824, 33 v top 8
Sharks - 807, 33 v top 8

Average - 835.4 and 35.3

2018 - 10th hardest
2017 - 8th hardest
2016 - 5th hardest
2015 - 5th hardest
2014 - 3rd hardest
2013 - 13th hardest

Nah nah nah ... haven't you heard around here to be the best you have to beat the best.

So that should be every week... every week we should have to play the best... because NSWRL... even when we get a shit team there's usually an attempt to make it hard... like having to play in Canberra at night in winter... or playing Warriors during an origin affected week... like um ... both those games this year.

A couple years back .. maybe 2021 ... it would've been nice to be allowed to ease into the season coming off a wooden spoon and having a new coach, but nah Parra x2, Panthers, Souths and Melbourne in the first 7 rounds.

We didn't even get the cows vs broncos derby at Suncorp until Round fucking 20... that is typically a curtain raiser for us and used to be our season opener every year, but cows were a shit team at that point so don't want to give them an opportunity to get a win.

Cows having the softest draw on top of being at the top of the penalties awarded chart consistently

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

Not sure how true that is overall but it was certainly the case in 2022 per Fox (PA is avg penalties awarded per game):

I'm going to go out on a limb from eyeballing that data and say we're likely to be a strangely anomalous low outlier in that group...let's check.

Average is 5.775, so the top is +0.825 and we were -1.075. Also fully 10% less penalties per game than the next team (and a whopping 40% less than the Storm).

Again - this is penalties AWARDED, so there should not be a huge discrepancy here. This would seem to back up the general feeling on here that teams magically seem to play so much more penalty-free against us than against anyone else, according to the officials anyway.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Brocko
  • Midean
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • ezpz
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • LittleDavey
  • Strop
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.