The Ashes 2010-2011

It is interesting the way this selection panel works...
Johnson was dropped and reinstated after spending time in the nets.
Hauritz was dropped and performed superbly in the Shield and didn't get a look in.

The media and public opinion seem to dominate the selectors' mind set.
Beer was chosen after a recommendatio from Warnie, as far as I can tell.
Hughes was selected as a pay back from the criticism for dropping him in the first place.
The refusal to reinstate Hauritz smacked off selectors not wanting to admit their mistake.

The panel is @#$%ed and needs to be swept out.
Bring in Warnie as coach.

Possible team for subby pitches. Didn't do nearly as much sweeping as I would've liked, but will no doubt change my tune with a few selections over the coming months.

Hussey
Hughes
Ponting
Khawaja
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
O'Keefe
Siddle
Copeland
Bollinger

I've got Hussey opening, almost completely due to the fact that Kat probably won't be back and I'd like to see a cool head opening with Hughes and keeping the top order steady. Hughes himself is friggen lucky to be there (in fact I'm still not all that comfortable with picking him), but I can't help but think back to the mistake we made with him in 2009 - not to mention during this summer by picking him while he was out of form.

He's got some big problems which have been exposed, but given our current state I think we can afford to give him an extended run (unlike last time) in different conditions and see if he can finally click. If there's no glaring improvement by RSA, then off to Shield Cricket indefinitely and we move on to the next prospect.

Ponting to retain his spot at 3, but relinquish the captaincy. I think that will be a sufficient pressure release for him rather than knocking him down the order. I also believe we need to concentrate on getting our middle order right, rather than making it a retirement home for batsmen in the twilight of their careers.

Khawaja at 4, where he bats for his state. Gives him good protection early in his career but still allows him time to build an innings (as opposed to learning his trade in the traditional spot of 6). Could move to 3 or even open if he cements a spot in the side.

Clarke to 5 where he belongs and captain (for now).

Watson to 6 to take up the traditional all-rounders spot. As I've said before, I've generally supported the arguments for him to stay at the top, but I think the make-up of the team as well as his shortcomings in the concentration department should see him head down the order. Hopefully, now that he's finally come of age as a player, it won't hamper his game at all.

Haddin remains keeper, but I'd like to see Paine or someone else really given the selectors a reason to question the security of Haddin's spot over the coming tours.

O'Keefe must be given a shot now. He is the best youngish finger spinner in the country and a bloody decent bat to go with it. I can't see how we could not give him a chance to prove himself. Couldn't give two shits if Haury is taking his spot in the Shield side to be honest, he deserves a crack. Having said that, Beer shouldn't be kept out of the selector's minds either - he didn't do too much wrong under the circumstances.

If, after O'Keefe, no one is putting their hand up, then perhaps we just have to suck it up for now and head back to Darts Hauritz. At least, to his credit, he's put in the hard work to deserve a recall.

Siddle, Copeland and Bollinger certainly aren't the most intimidating attack going around - but neither would a combination of Anderson, Tremlett and Bresnan not that long ago. The important point is that they can land the ball on the spot (in Siddle's case, short of the spot, but when he pitches it up he's fine) and I think that's what we need to make our starting point. We need to get three blokes who can keep it tight and draw the stupid shots just like England did to us. Those three may certainly not be the best three, and there's a number of blokes in the Shield who could easily slot in any of those 3, but I think it's a decent trio to experiment with first on subby pitches.

Hilf - gone until he can swing the ball later and vary his angle. The way he bowls now is a waste of good swing bowling talent.

Mitch - gone indefinitely.

Can't believe I've kept Siddle around. Maybe pigs can fly.

/rant.

Not a bad squad at all, especially for the Sri Lanka tour.

I hope they look to turn Siddle more into the Bresnan type bowler in that he's not going to be your most lethal bowler but he'll always come in handy with the bat.

Who else is there to open at the moment? Maddinson is still a year or so away so if Hughes form continues to decay who should the Aussies look at?

Looking forward to see what this review they are having produces. With any luck we see the back of Punter, Nielsen, Langer, Cooley, Hilditch, Cox, Boon, Chappell

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mr Fourex
  • NSW stables
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Johnny92
  • Midean
  • kiwi2
  • Lurker
  • Volvo Driver
  • peter09
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.